PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal?

Dysantic
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Well as some of you may know, I have been searching for a BMW for the last couple of months. I was looking for a black on black 4 door automatic with low km and with a manufacture date in the general area of 1997-1999.

Well I just bought one and think it's a pretty good deal but I thought I would just post and see what everyone else thought. I had the VIN checked and found it was in an accident back in 97 like 2 months after it was bought but there was no structural damage to be seen left from what my mechanic said. My uncle works for Mercedes so I brought the car to his store and one of the techs who was an ex BMW tech (was BMW tech for 15 years) looked at it. So here are all of the specs...

The Good:

1997 4 door 328i
Automatic
178,000 KM
Jet black exterior with black leather interior. Interior is in great shape, exterior has small amount of rust and was in the accident back in 97 (claim for repairs was approx. $5000)
A/C blows COLD and all the vents work
Angel eye head lights
Rear lip spoiler on the trunk (just a little frilly thing already on the car. It looks ok, so I'll probably keep it)
Upgraded Sony CD deck (I don't think I own any cassettes anymore so this is nice, lol)

The Bad

Small rusp spots on bottom corners of both passenger doors (very tiny specs) and rust on replaced passenger side rear quarter need to be cleaned up before winter
Only has the stock rims from 97 and 2 of the wheels are bent according to the tech. The tires that it came with are pure winter tires as well.
The Angel eyes were not installed perfectly and a little extra glue was used on the driver side one for sealing purposes I guess
Trailing arm bushings are completely worn and will most likely cost me around $600 to replace and they need to be replaced ASAP
Front flex hoses are cracked and need to be replaced in the near future
Door lock system does not work. I can still use the key, but the remote does not work and the tech wasnt sure if it was the individual locking mechanisms on the doors or the whole system itself
The control panel below the CD deck is not functioning properly and can probably be left the way it is but may end up causing problems

So there is the car in a nutshell. Without taxes I got it for $5500 Canadian. I know its a hell of a long list, but any feedback would be great. I know most of the guys on this site really know what they are talking about so if you think I got ripped off tell me. If you think its a good deal let me know too. I also don't have any pictures at the moment, but once all the papers are done and I'm able to drive it I'll take some nice ones and post them. In the meantime tell me what you think!

Thanks

maroli
07-09-2008, 03:16 AM
according to a UVIP, the standard retail of that car is around 7k, so after you repair it to your standards, see if it cost more than 1.5 K :)

Lower_Level
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Control panel below cd? You mean your climate control? If it's not working properly you could be in for some costly repairs there...

Dysantic
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Yes, its the climate control that isnt working properly. It's not like it is completely broken. It's almost as is some of the pixels are dead. So it is still readable but some of it is just cut off. I heard they are kinda expensive to repair, but think I can get by with how it currently is.

ShortShifter
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Talk to Fil, he may have an extra one...

http://www.michaelta.com/businesscard.jpg

Dysantic
07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Talk to Fil, he may have an extra one...

http://www.michaelta.com/businesscard.jpg

Ok, sweet. Good to know. I know I'm going to get the brushings done very soon, but the control panel really isnt a huge issue at the moment. I would like to have one that works properly but I'll wait until the other stuff is all done and I can save up some more money. lol