PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a power steering rack?

igbastian
07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Has anyone ever done this? Or had it done somewhere in Toronto?

I can't replace the rack with a used unit because the car is an e21 (just thought i might have better luck posting in this forum). I

purchased all the parts needed for the rebuild but i'm not sure i'm up for the job myself.

bimmer.rob
07-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey bro, It's late now but I know a few tech's from bmw toronto I'll give one of them a call 2mrw and see what the best bet would be, I'm also looking to get this done.

magnus
07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I ve done it on an e30. Just buy the kit from BMW and try it. It wasnt hard as long as you dont mind getting dirty and are mechanicaly minded!

igbastian
07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Rob- if you could check it out, that would be greatly appreciated. I've been quoted $250 for the labour of rebuilding...not inclusive of the gasket kit or taking the rack out or putting it back in.

I ve done it on an e30. Just buy the kit from BMW and try it. It wasnt hard as long as you dont mind getting dirty and are mechanicaly minded!

I have the kit and I don't mind getting dirty. What I'm worried about is ripping seals. Are any of them hard to get back in? Or is it more like, gasket comes out, new gasket goes in? I've read that people with E30s do it, but they always include some sort of disclaimer like you did.

bimmer.rob
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey bro, I talked to one of the guys yesterday they told me to just do it my self , according to them it's not that hard just take your time and do everything proper and you should not have a problem. I do know what you mean when you say your not up for the job your self, I need to replace my fuse box on my car and I just got the replacement out of my parts car and you know it was not all that bad...now back to the rack, I tried to remove mine from the parts car and holy **** bud.. I'm stuck :| I got the 2 bolts out of the rack it self, Now it's ready to come out and is just being held on because of the column and I removed the 2 bolts there and If done everything pry, hammer, hands.. I jus don't want to break balls now and call them for this.. I dun no if anyones go any tips it would be nice but I'm gonna go back to it now

igbastian
07-09-2008, 04:36 PM
...now back to the rack, I tried to remove mine from the parts car and holy **** bud.. I'm stuck :| I got the 2 bolts out of the rack it self, Now it's ready to come out and is just being held on because of the column and I removed the 2 bolts there and If done everything pry, hammer, hands.. I jus don't want to break balls now and call them for this.. I dun no if anyones go any tips it would be nice but I'm gonna go back to it now

I found this link on taking a rack out of a 80s porsche...should be relatively similar. (http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/steer-01.htm)

dunno if it will help or not.