PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for a newbie changing the fuel line?

RobY330i
07-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Got an 87 325e and the fuel line near the fuel filter is leaking bad.

I guess I need to replace the lines around it. Any advice such as what size fuel line do I need? etc.

Thanks in advance.

ecuconnection
07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I had the same problem and just cut out the bad spot with a saws all and placed a rubber hose and two small hose clamps and it's been holding for a year now ... pull the fuel pump fuse or relay while the car is runing and let it stall out too relieve the presure befor you attack the line and wear safety goggles ... OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

my e36 has bad lines where the fuel filter is and now my damn brake line is leaking.... GRRRRRRR!

RobY330i
07-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks!

Philboski
07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Also, make sure the rubber line you get is for fuel injected applications.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I think there is a preferred type of hose clamp for this type of work.

DANIMAL
07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, the fuel pump in the E30 uses a gravity fed system. Just be sure not to park on a slope with the rear of the car facing upwards. And if you do don't smoke.

carjoe
07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem and just cut out the bad spot with a saws all and placed a rubber hose and two small hose clamps and it's been holding for a year now ... pull the fuel pump fuse or relay while the car is runing and let it stall out too relieve the presure befor you attack the line and wear safety goggles ... OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

my e36 has bad lines where the fuel filter is and now my damn brake line is leaking.... GRRRRRRR!

Would you need to flare the line before?

ecuconnection
07-04-2008, 10:20 AM
when this happend to me I broke a hose clamp and I drove too CT with the line purely hand fited with no clamp and it didnt even drip or leak I was amazed... I knew at that point a rubber hose could easly hold 50 psi and the clamp was just insurance...goodluck!

ecuconnection
07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Would you need to flare the line before?

Mine are not flared, but it would not hurt that's for sure... if you have any doubts use 2 clamps for each end

chromius
07-04-2008, 02:33 PM
OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

Don't use a water hose...water on a gasoline fire tends to just spread the fire around*thmbsdwn**shiner*

Also, make sure the rubber line you get is for fuel injected applications.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I think there is a preferred type of hose clamp for this type of work.

Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

The hose clamps don't have to be anything special though, any will work.

BigD
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

Why would you need 100+PSI hose? The BMW systems only run 50.

chromius
07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Why would you need 100+PSI hose? The BMW systems only run 50.

Because the pump's max output is around 100psi, so if you ever get a blockage in the return line or in the pressure regulator, the pressure will spike to 100psi, and if the hose can't handle it it'll burst.

Plus personally, just for peace of mind, I wouldn't want to have a hose that is always handling a pressure that is at it's max rating.

BigD
07-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Because the pump's max output is around 100psi, so if you ever get a blockage in the return line or in the pressure regulator, the pressure will spike to 100psi, and if the hose can't handle it it'll burst.

Plus personally, just for peace of mind, I wouldn't want to have a hose that is always handling a pressure that is at it's max rating.

I personally didn't know anything about the pressure rating of the CT hoses. I needed fuel hose and they had the right size, labelled fuel hose... I guess the blockage is a legitimate concern but as far as the max rating I'm sure it's not the burst pressure, but the designed for, guaranteed safe pressure. To tell you the truth though, those CT hoses are beefier than the stock ones on the S52.

chromius
07-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I personally didn't know anything about the pressure rating of the CT hoses. I needed fuel hose and they had the right size, labelled fuel hose... I guess the blockage is a legitimate concern but as far as the max rating I'm sure it's not the burst pressure, but the designed for, guaranteed safe pressure. To tell you the truth though, those CT hoses are beefier than the stock ones on the S52.

Yeah, it's more just a "better safe than sorry" kinda thing for me. I'm sure the CT hose would last many thousands of km's without any issues, but all it takes is that one time, so I always prefer to use the 100psi hose, especially in the engine bay, since a simple hose blockage could lead to a burst onto a hot exhaust manifold, and a subsequent fire...

The OE hose is 120psi I believe, so I figure might as well replace with similar.

Perhaps CT has changed their hose, it was a couple of years back that I bought their fuel injection hose, and at that time it was 50psi, maybe it's higher now. It should be labeled right on the side of the hose.

ecuconnection
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Don't use a water hose...water on a gasoline fire tends to just spread the fire around*thmbsdwn**shiner*

oh yes I forgot that gas will burn on top of water oops hehe *rockout*

BigD
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, it's more just a "better safe than sorry" kinda thing for me. I'm sure the CT hose would last many thousands of km's without any issues, but all it takes is that one time, so I always prefer to use the 100psi hose, especially in the engine bay, since a simple hose blockage could lead to a burst onto a hot exhaust manifold, and a subsequent fire...

The OE hose is 120psi I believe, so I figure might as well replace with similar.

Perhaps CT has changed their hose, it was a couple of years back that I bought their fuel injection hose, and at that time it was 50psi, maybe it's higher now. It should be labeled right on the side of the hose.

JFYI my crappy tire fuel hoses say 12 bar.

chromius
07-07-2008, 04:31 PM
JFYI my crappy tire fuel hoses say 12 bar.

Good stuff...guess they changed them since I last checked.*th-up*

ecuconnection
07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
so for my brake line repair it's like a 2 inch bad section and I dont want to replace the whole line... can I flare the line and use rubber hose rated for brake line use and just double clamp? or do do I need to use presure fitings?

chromius
07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
so for my brake line repair it's like a 2 inch bad section and I dont want to replace the whole line... can I flare the line and use rubber hose rated for brake line use and just double clamp? or do do I need to use presure fitings?

I don't think hose clamps will do for a brake line, you'll want to put a proper 'AN' fitting on.

ecuconnection
07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
decided Im going to replace the whole line... I took a good look at everything and it's actulay much easyer then I thought it would be ... all the lines are clearly visible surprizingly... I bet it's not like that on the 540 haha

carjoe
07-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Keep practicing Barry...I'm gonna pay you in car parts to start working on mine!

chromius
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I bet it's not like that on the 540 haha

Yeah it is. They're all visible. Most cars have them out in the open like that.

ecuconnection
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
oh well then ... I'm sure that would be the last thing to go on your car anyway

ecuconnection
07-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Keep practicing Barry...I'm gonna pay you in car parts to start working on mine!

yup im getng prity good with the e36... I just have to remember to titghten all the bolts up while swet is driping in my eyes

chromius
07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
oh well then ... I'm sure that would be the last thing to go on your car anyway

Yeah, instead it's just repetitive power steering pump and cooling system breakage *shiner*

Nascar318is
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't know man... I'd go full lines, not rubber ones, after what happened with the ford and my super rubber line... never again. If you install all that stuff by yourself, spend the money on the steel lines... And the bunder is around $15 at CT, you can do 4 different sizes.. My buddy did his fuel(all of them) and rear brake lines.. with the bender and some line..

I agree with Joey, keep practising, cause I'm starting to smell gas....

AWD_Guy
11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, newb bringing this from the dead....

I just re-did the fuel lines on my e30, I bought the lines from Otto's, think it came out to $80 for the feed and return lines...

Relatively simple install, had a hard time undoing the old line where they were rusted, but that was the hardest part. Suggest anybody looking at redoing their lines to take a look at the oem kit. probably a little more money than flaring your own, but its was a straight bolt in procedure, worked out great

everlast
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Were they already bent?

AWD_Guy
11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Were they already bent?

Yup...like I said, it was a direct bolt in. Take old ones out, put new ones in, voila, new fuel lines. *par-t*

EDIT: All i did was look up the part #'s on realoem.com and gave those to the parts guy at Otto's.

everlast
11-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I only ask because brake lines are straight, not pre-bent, so I assumed they'd be the same. Good info, thanks!

AWD_Guy
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I only ask because brake lines are straight, not pre-bent, so I assumed they'd be the same. Good info, thanks!

Im not sure if they sell the same kind of kit for the brakelines...Im due though...I can be the test mule! Yay!*sad*

oldskool3
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Jay's right oem brake lines from the dealer aren't pre bent which makes them a huge bitch to change especially the really short ones

everlast
11-15-2008, 02:09 AM
yeah, I already checked that shit out. I do have a bender I can lend though, with some tips.

lemme guess.. you need to replace the rear hard lines at the "t"? :D