PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer question and looking for a 10" sub

magnaclout
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Am I losing big with 10" sub installed without an enclosure box?
My aging sub is installed in the trunk on the back of rear seat. Actually it's in between the 2 rear seats where the armrest is. There's an opening inbetween the 2 seats concealed by a black mesh cloth covering, so sound can get into the cabin when the armrest is pulled down. What do you guys think? Should I go for a box enclosure or the trunk as a one big enclosure will do. BIg difference?

And as per my thread title, Im also looking for a new or slightly used (1-2year old)10" sub. I have an Alpine that has served me well over the years but it's deteriorating and the bass is not as tight as it was.

What other brands are better if not equal to Alpine? Im not saying Alpine is the best.... Thanks

Bullet Ride
07-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but i know that having the proper enclosure for a sub whether it be sealed, ported, bandpass etc, can make a big difference. Certain subs will hit harder depending on the box they are in and the box size can be used to tune the frequency that has the most pronounced resonance. You need to find a sub tuned for your trunk size since your trunk is your box :D...MTX jackhammer maybe:P

It's good that you have an opening from the trunk to the cabin though, it really increases the crispness of the bass, i hate it when people have subs in their trunk and all you hear is muffled bass. In those cases i'd rather have a good pair of 6x9's installed by the rear window and maybe even install a pair of 6" or 8" subwoofers up there as well.
All that aside JL Audio has good subs check out the 10w3v3.
Good luck.

Deep 3.2TL
07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Free air subs can be pretty good - not as great as enclosure models, but worth listening to.

UltimateDriv
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
yes go for the proper sub enclosure, built to the specs of the sub

someguy
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM
i have the same idea going....although i experimented with some boxes and found one that sounded good, and no have the sub facing towards the front of the car so that when the armrest is down, you can actually see the sub and it pounds right into the cabin (I got rid of that garbage ski bag thing and left the flap only). I only have one 12" Infinity sub, but it sounds clean and crisp, which is what I was going for rather than loudness.

CTM194
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Free air subs can be pretty good - not as great as enclosure models, but worth listening to.
Free air isn't good for subs from what ive heard, they need a proper enclosure. If it has no area to hold the sound it won't sound crisp and clear like you want it to. I would build a box to specs for a 10 you find and make it vented. I have a 10" kicker L7 in a vented box and it sounds great. very clear.

Deep 3.2TL
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
If you have a well sealed trunk, a free air can be fine. I have many friends back in the day when we cared to blow out our eardrums with heart pounding systems with free air.

328IScreamer
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I would go for a factory spec sealed box. Although ported is louder it has no where even close to the sound quality or the range of a sealed box. Ported boxes sound good on a few different frequencies depending on the sub but sealed generally can sound good on a broader range. Ported also sounds "louder" while the sealed gives you more of that impact fealing like somebody is kicking the back of your seat. As for type of sub if your looking for loud like people hearing you down the block i'd go with kicker if your looking for hard but clean hitting sub i'd go with JL

Bullet Ride
07-02-2008, 09:30 PM
...hard but clean hitting sub i'd go with JL

+1.

maroli
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
talk to tominizer, he has audio stuff, dunno if its what you want, but ask!

doogee
07-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a 10" Kicker Comp if you're still interested. Basically brand new. I had two in my other car but I just stuck one of them in a little box in my trunk, sounds great.

Let me know.

tominizer
07-03-2008, 09:52 AM
ACTUALLY, a free-air sub can hammer really well IF you buy a free-air subwoofer. It's a really good setup if you do it right and do just as well if not better then a lot of boxed subs........... from an SQ point of view. But it has limitations. The suspension on a free-air sub is substantially different so that it can maintain control over the years of use. A regular sub can be used in a free-air application but over time it's gets loose and sloppy ........ sounding like azz and will usually die because the suspension holding the cone and voice coil in place craps out. A lot of people have had this experience and thus why they think it's a crappy setup.

This setup also is nice as you don't have to worry about building a box and it takes up less room in your trunk. But you need to try and seal up your trunk compartment as much as possible from the cabin and use a nice thick baffle to mount the speaker.

Anyways, I like this style of setup. You just have to use the right gear for it.

Regarding buying a used sub, big risk unless you know exactly how it was treated/used by it's previous owner OR you are getting it for ridiculously cheapo. The performance of a subwoofer has a lifespan and it decreases quicker with the increase in abuse. It's your risk........... your money.

e24_635csi
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Im using a sealed 10w3v3 with a 250/1 in my moms E36, with the back seats folded down, it hits nice. when its up though it struggles a bit to get through. In my e28 i am running a ported 12w6v2 with a 500/1, tons more power, and no problems getting bass through the seats.

This winter when upgrade the M5 stereo, its gonna be another JL sub and amp. A little on the expensive side, but never a hick-up, or problem, #1 in my books

2K6E60
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Best system i have heard to date was a pair of IDW 15's and a chamelon comp set upfront.

Tom you know the good old days.... ;)

the IDMAX does very well in IB setups as well. Not priced to badly either.

tominizer
07-05-2008, 06:27 PM
^ Who are you ?!!?!??!?!

And yes, those were the days boooooooooyeeeeeeeeeeeeee.