PDA

View Full Version : No start diagnostics...please shed some light.

Luke318is
06-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi everyone, im looking for any technical help i can get here, before i pay for a tow to my shop.

Ok heres the deal: the car runs great when it decides to run, which is intermittent. I had the car at the shop and it started 10 times with no problems, so they gave it back. The next day it wont start again, and that was a week ago. Since then i have done a bunch of diagnostics to figure out the problem, now i am no mechanic, but i do have perserverence! so here is a list of what i have done.

FUEL SYSTEM: -No fuel coming to engine

-Replaced main relay
-Jumped the fuel pump relay at leads 87 and 30, which should force the fuel pump to run.
-Fuel pump did not run
-No voltage at fuel pump power connector
-Jumped the fuel pump with +12volt, fuel pump runs.
-fuel pump relay socket has voltage at all the right spots
-fuse 11 has no voltage, that is the fuel system fuse correct?
-deduced that power is not getting from fuel pump relay to fuse box,
-tried to crank the engine with pump running from +12volt jump
-engine no starts, and has NO spark from plug connected to the coil
-pulled computer and checked solder joints, no visible problems
-fuel pump is less than 6 months old
-i dont have a wiring diagram for the fuel pump system, so i dont know what path the signal takes from the relay back to the pump or whatever...

What could cause the engine to lose spark AND stop voltage from getting to the fuel pump power connector?

Im at a loss here...would like to find the problem instead of paying the shop to diagnose.

FuryriderX
06-29-2008, 10:06 AM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3306/fuel1be8.jpg

maybe that will help you.

InfiniteDice
06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Once upon a time... I had these strange intermittent starting and stalling issues. Turned out to be a corroded fusible link in the trunk. It's a real long shot, but 1.5ft north of the battery, under some heat shrink. Recover it if you decide to take a look.

FuryriderX
06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
well, that fusible link is indeed in the battery path to the starter. good suggestion - i would never have thought of it.

Luke318is
06-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I looked for this fusible link, the bentley manual suggested it, ill take a look for it. It all started after the car sat for a few months actually, so corrosion is a possibility.

Will Crank position sensor stop fuel AND spark?

FuryriderX
06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
no rpm, no fuel, no spark, no run. check that fusible link first. crank position sensors dont die that often.

Luke318is
06-30-2008, 04:34 AM
what does it look like?

FuryriderX
06-30-2008, 04:57 PM
there's 2 wires going toward the engine bay from the battery. one thick one, one thin one. the fusible link is in the thin one. you'll know it when you see it. it may be wrapped in electrical tape/shrinkwrap.

Luke318is
06-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Found a solution !!!*par-t*

Euro_E30
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Check the DME*th-up* seen many problems with e30 no start that are DME
related. try a new DME, or crank the motor and tap the DME with a screw driver at the same time.*smoke* Hopefully that helps

craz azn
07-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Found a solution !!!*par-t*

You can drop it off right at my door :P

Luke318is
07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
You can drop it off right at my door :P
10-4 Haha

Anyways, i did a visual check of the computer, didnt see any noticeable bad solder joints, except possibly this one:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1172070#post1172070

It was the crank position sensor after all...fired right up when it was replaced. Now its lowering springs going in next week, then a full out detail at a local shop, cant wait!

dannyau
08-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi everyone, im looking for any technical help i can get here, before i pay for a tow to my shop.

Ok heres the deal: the car runs great when it decides to run, which is intermittent. I had the car at the shop and it started 10 times with no problems, so they gave it back. The next day it wont start again, and that was a week ago. Since then i have done a bunch of diagnostics to figure out the problem, now i am no mechanic, but i do have perserverence! so here is a list of what i have done.

FUEL SYSTEM: -No fuel coming to engine

-Replaced main relay
-Jumped the fuel pump relay at leads 87 and 30, which should force the fuel pump to run.
-Fuel pump did not run
-No voltage at fuel pump power connector
-Jumped the fuel pump with +12volt, fuel pump runs.
-fuel pump relay socket has voltage at all the right spots
-fuse 11 has no voltage, that is the fuel system fuse correct?
-deduced that power is not getting from fuel pump relay to fuse box,
-tried to crank the engine with pump running from +12volt jump
-engine no starts, and has NO spark from plug connected to the coil
-pulled computer and checked solder joints, no visible problems
-fuel pump is less than 6 months old
-i dont have a wiring diagram for the fuel pump system, so i dont know what path the signal takes from the relay back to the pump or whatever...

What could cause the engine to lose spark AND stop voltage from getting to the fuel pump power connector?

Im at a loss here...would like to find the problem instead of paying the shop to diagnose.

Hi can anyone tell me where the fusable link is on an Australian 1991 318i if you have a photo it would help

Ceeker
08-26-2012, 09:18 AM
where is the battery located? it is about 1.5 feet from the battery along the positive terminal line.

dannyau
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
The Battery is on the right hand side in the engine bay, and none of the power leads are any longer than about 6 inchs

Ceeker
08-26-2012, 01:32 PM
ok, so it is the same as the north america convertible set up. There should be heat shrink rapping some of the wiring together. you'll have to cut away the heat shrink to expose this fusible link. I have never had to do one at the front of the car. But all the e30's as far as I'm aware has a inline 50amp fusible link. the power lines go across the fire wall.