PDA

View Full Version : Cats are on order

Philboski
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, now I know what the noise was....

As a reminder that I should have just bit the bullet and paid for the intake manifold gasket job on my 540I, I pulled the dreaded P0420 code from the *uzi* car last night -- the cats -- or at least one of them -- are blown again. *mumble*

Have a pair of Magnaflow 43005s on order from PerformancePeddler.com now. If they get in before I go on vacation, I'll hand them over to Tonik Motorsports (Warren) and get him to put his second set of cats on the car. To save cash, I'll likely do the manifold gaskets myself, and do the valley pan while I'm in there.

Hell. Damn. Poop.

chromius
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
crap man..very sorry to hear. I'm dreading the day my cats bite the bullet. If it makes you feel any better, I just had my power steering pump grenade on me and throw the belt for the second time in 6 months $400 twice in 6 months is quite the pissoff:mad:

And the real kicker is that I got the same damn tow truck driver I had the last time this happened, he had a good laugh as he congratulated me on being a "regular".*shiner*

On the plus side, I can change a power steering pump in less than 30min now:D

Philboski
06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
On the plus side, I can change a power steering pump in less than 30min now:D

You know who's getting called when mine goes ballistic......

I am going to chase down a couple of possibilities for the vacuum leak on the back of the CCV

http://members.cox.net/rlacm/images/RearCover01.JPG

There is a plug there (top left) that looks just like the plug I chnaged on a T near the drivers' side front of the engine. This change smoothed out the idle -- I am hoping for the same here. The vacuum line (top left) is another culprit. If they don't do it, it will be time to get my hands dirty.

chromius
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM
That top left line on mine goes to the fuel pressure regulator down near the fuel filter..so I don't know if it's the same as yours, since the pre/post vanos might have a different setup, but if it does and it has a leak it would have the double effect of a vacuum leak and keeping the diaphram of the pressure regulator on "full rich"

Philboski
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
It's never something that simple but it is worth a shot to check out, or even just replace, for all it would cost.

Philboski
06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
That top left line on mine goes to the fuel pressure regulator down near the fuel filter..so I don't know if it's the same as yours, since the pre/post vanos might have a different setup, but if it does and it has a leak it would have the double effect of a vacuum leak and keeping the diaphram of the pressure regulator on "full rich"

According to RealOEM it's a cap until 09/1998.

chromius
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
oh..so I guess it's just the pressure regulator line on the 99+

Friggin guys at NAPA forgot to order my pump, so now I gotta wait until tomorrow to get it...shit, damn, ass!

Philboski
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
That sucks.

My fuel pressure regulator? In the pic I posted above, 'A' is the vacuum line leading to it.

Gosh I hope it's this simple.

chromius
06-26-2008, 04:22 PM
On mine 'A' goes to the actuator for the secondary air pump valve, and the other one goes to the pressure regulator under the car integrated into the filter.

Philboski
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I've printed out the parts list on Real OEM and I'm making a run to Otto's on Monday to see what I can find and find out.