PDA

View Full Version : ECU solder repair...

Luke318is
06-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi, im troubleshooting a no-start problem, and have my ECU pulled out and disasembled. I have found that one of the 14-prong soldered chips has a piece of solder bridging two of the legs....but it seems like they are supposed to be like that possible.

now, before i remove the solder, id like to look at a diagram of the board, does anyone know where to find a diagram?

My ecu has the following numbers on the sticker:1730575 001
I believe people refer to it as the "173 ecu" Anyone know what to call it properly so i can search the web for the proper diagram?

HERE are the pics of the ECU
www.netpresspublishing.com/lukesjunk

Thanks in advance,
-Luke

FuryriderX
06-25-2008, 05:31 PM
its supposed to be like that.

are you sure its the ECU that's causing your car to not start??? i'd think that would be the very last place to look

darkis_light
07-02-2008, 04:46 AM
I agree, its supposed to be like that. In the third pic you posted, from those two pins that are solder bridged follow the printed circuit tracks and you can see that they join on the printed circuit board.

Luke318is
07-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Ya i saw that and thought the same thing right after i made the thread...

Thanks for the feedback, it wasnt the DME at all, it was the crank position sensor! Fired right up.

KURTMAN68
07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I had an issue where the car would die for an instant (on the street, highway (scary)) then start back up - or die again. Went on for months like this. Finally noticed that pounding on the glovebox / ECU would fire it back up. Finally fixed it by carefully resoldering every point on the ECU. Worked for 6 months np, then died altogether (no coil voltage output). Sent it to www.programainc.com for rebuild ($400). Been perfect ever since.

Luke318is
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
luckily my problem ended up being the crank position sensor, fixed and works fine.