PDA

View Full Version : Help: Metal Clinking Sound Over Bumps?

330DTM
06-24-2008, 11:50 PM
For a while I've been noticing that whenever my car goes over bumps (the usual impurities of the road, so small or big bumps), the right side is making a metal clinging noise. It sounds like something is loose.

However, when I drove over a same section of road again, remembering where the small bumps were, I would step on the brakes lightly to midly and as the car goes over the small bump the sound is gone.

I was thinking it had to be coming from the brakes, so maybe the caliper or pads? What could it be? I tried to check if it was coming from the handbrake by pulling it up a click and another after by driving around but no luck.

maroli
06-25-2008, 12:04 AM
check if rear shock mount or spring is broken. one of the tops of my spring was broken when I got my car, made a kind of clanking over bumps

craz azn
06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
For a while I've been noticing that whenever my car goes over bumps (the usual impurities of the road, so small or big bumps), the right side is making a metal clinging noise. It sounds like something is loose.

However, when I drove over a same section of road again, remembering where the small bumps were, I would step on the brakes lightly to midly and as the car goes over the small bump the sound is gone.

I was thinking it had to be coming from the brakes, so maybe the caliper or pads? What could it be? I tried to check if it was coming from the handbrake by pulling it up a click and another after by driving around but no luck.

Rear brake pad? My car does this on a normal basis (what you described)...

Bliss
06-25-2008, 03:01 AM
After you installed your coilovers did you tighten the large adjusting rings well? Sometimes they can become loose and make a metal sounding rattle. Not sure if you changed your brakes Mike, but some aftermarket brake pads may make a rattle too (Crappy "anti-rattle clips").

Gamite
06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
maybe brake pad clips like bliss said.

Soldo
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Had the same problem with my car. Sound went away when brakes were applied. I've narrowed it down to a loose component in the rear disc drum.

BigD
06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
maybe brake pad clips like bliss said.

This gets my vote too, probably fell out or you left it out (or didn't put in right)

Nascar318is
06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
This gets my vote too, probably fell out or you left it out (or didn't put in right)

X3 My rattle was from that Shim(AKA anti rattle clip) One was missing..

Gamite
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
they can get bent out of shape to the point where they're not tight anymore. Just bend them back.

Michel
06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I get the same exact noise in my acura. For me its a combination of a ceased rear caliper and faulty clip on my break pad.

T.Dot_E30
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Time for a quick brake inspection, while your in there lube the sliders and clean up the mating surfaces. (ie, brake service)

330DTM
06-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the response guys.

Well it never made the noise till I got my Inspection II & brake fluid flushed at Bimmersport almost 3 weeks ago. They did a great job, but probably something they missed.

I just wanted to know if it's something that should be fixed as I have a lapping event coming up on Tuesday and I believe they inspect the cars prior to letting us drive on the track.

Neither Bimmersport nor RMP are open on Sat so I'll have to find a shop this weekend *sad*

Gamite
06-26-2008, 09:26 AM
mike, bring it by my house, I'll let you knwo if it's the caliper clip or not.