PDA

View Full Version : Insurance help

330Hi
06-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Windshield cracked in hail this week... *mumble*

Where's a good place to get it fixed? Do they cover the deductible?
Anyone have experience? Please advise...

Thanks!

BenBMW
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
You cover the deductible. Why would someone else pay your deductible? lol.

330Hi
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
^Some places cover you if you go thru insurance...
you didnt know? lol.

jstalin
06-19-2008, 10:46 AM
^Some places cover you if you go thru insurance...
you didnt know? lol.

Yeah but your rates may increase as a result. Instead of charging you 500$ to fix it, they simply bill the insurance co 1000$

330Hi
06-19-2008, 10:50 AM
^Is that right? They look at how much its gonna cost to fix and that affects me?

But the windshield crack was from hail (not my fault?)

jstalin
06-19-2008, 11:00 AM
^Is that right? They look at how much its gonna cost to fix and that affects me?

But the windshield crack was from hail (not my fault?)

Most any claim results in an increase, unless your company can sue mother nature to recoup their loss it's gonna come out of your pocket in the end.

Better call around and tell them upfront you don't want to go thru insurance, most will do it much cheaper

VSanj
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
its always better to pay cash for small repairs. Claims will always haunt you in the end

BenBMW
06-19-2008, 11:23 AM
A lot of insurance companies will want you to take it to one of their many listed "certified" repair shops. Though they may not require that. However, if a place is going to "cover" your deductive that just means your insurance company is going to be billed much higher then a regular place, otherwise it's eating $500-$1000 into their profits for "covering" your deductive. In the end, the insurance company will just raise your premiums or keep it higher longer to recover all that money they just paid. So you end up paying more. :P

330Hi
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
^ Whats the point of "insurance" then?
WTF are we paying for?

Boots R
06-19-2008, 11:34 AM
^ Whats the point of "insurance" then?
WTF are we paying for?

larger accidents. And in case you kill/severely injure someone, you gon't get sued for 2 million dollars of YOUR money for lost wages/emotional damage.

shimajer
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
exactly. you don't go through insurance with small repairs like dents, paint chips, broken glass , etc..

330Hi
06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
OK... so what do you guys say?
The dealership is charging about $1200 to replace windshield.
Go thru insurance or no?
I dont know what other smaller companies are gonna charge?!

BenBMW
06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
OK... so what do you guys say?
The dealership is charging about $1200 to replace windshield.
Go thru insurance or no?
I dont know what other smaller companies are gonna charge?!

Always get a MINIMUM of 3 quotes, from different places. Avoid going to the stealer (AKA dealership), they'll a$$ rape you everytime. Another thing, what's your deductive? That would affect your decision.

330Hi
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM

shimajer
06-19-2008, 11:51 AM
try this place

Ron Tordoff
Windshield Repairs & Replacements
Call 416-802-8772

tell him E46toronto sent you.

BenBMW
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, we can do some simple math. Insurance claims stay on your record for 7 years. If you go through insurance, that's $500 for you and $700+ for your insurance company (including taxes). With a claim on your file, they could simply "increase" your insurance premium by say $150/yr for 7 years without you even knowing. Rather then dropping your insurance by say $300/year, they only drop it $150. Who are you to know what they WOULD have reduced your premium, if there was no claim.

Though you could end up saving money, it's more likely it'll end up costing you more. It is your choice to make though.

BenBMW
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Check out:
www.rmpmotors.com
www.bimmersport.ca
www.autopiaautobody.com (They do Collision Repair)

I'm not sure if RMP or Bimersport do collision repair but it only takes a phonecall to see, lol. Autopia may be your best bet to get the windshield replaced. I'd probably go to them. All of them are supporting vendors and do amazing work. People who visit them rarely go somewhere else afterwords.

shimajer
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Insurnace is there to "insure", not to save you money. So you have an accident this year, you make a claim. The chances of you having another accident in the future is higher, that's why you will be paying more and more each year. So when it comes to small accidents, don't do any claims.

T.Dot_E30
06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
looks like you want to learn the hard way.

Either listen to the advice given and goto a smaller shop that specialize in replacement windshields, which will probably cost you under $500 (the cost of your deductible) anways. It will be an aftermarket part, which might chip easiler, but if you care that much pay the $1200, if you think it's worth it and an aftermarket part bothers you that much.

vadim321go
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
shud cost u around 300-400 to replace ur windshield :) do some more research

dtthiaga
06-23-2008, 06:03 PM
The guys driving the older BMW's without rain sensors are fine going to cheap windshield repair facilities. Itís just a windshield. With the E46 rain sensor option, you have to be a bit careful.

Regardless of where you go, make sure they guarantee that your rain sensor will work afterwards.

Apple Auto Glass apparently can do an OEM windshield replacement for $700.00.

Also, Collision Claims and Comprehensive Claims are different things.

Windshields are Comprehensive claims. If you only have 1 comprehensive claim every 3-4 years, there wonít be any changes in your premiums. Iím a highway commuter, and have replaced windshields once ever 3-4 years or so; my premiums have never gone up, only down each year!

Check with your insurance or verify with people with your same policy, their real world experience with windshield replacement claims.

SeRb
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
i thought that if your car is damaged in a storm ie hail, tree damaging your car etc... and you get it fixed through insurance that your rates won't go up?

BlitzSix
06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
The guys driving the older BMW's without rain sensors are fine going to cheap windshield repair facilities. Itís just a windshield. With the E46 rain sensor option, you have to be a bit careful.

Regardless of where you go, make sure they guarantee that your rain sensor will work afterwards.

Apple Auto Glass apparently can do an OEM windshield replacement for $700.00.

Also, Collision Claims and Comprehensive Claims are different things.

Windshields are Comprehensive claims. If you only have 1 comprehensive claim every 3-4 years, there wonít be any changes in your premiums. Iím a highway commuter, and have replaced windshields once ever 3-4 years or so; my premiums have never gone up, only down each year!

Check with your insurance or verify with people with your same policy, their real world experience with windshield replacement claims.

WTF? You get your windshield changed just from the wear and tear of highway driving? That doesn't sound right..

I would think insurance would only cover it if it was damaged by a tree or hail or vandilized or something, not from chips because of you driving on the highway. THen people would get their front bumpers repainted all the time too... why not get new brakes through insurance while you're at it

330Hi
06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
i thought that if your car is damaged in a storm ie hail, tree damaging your car etc... and you get it fixed through insurance that your rates won't go up?

+1!!

Boots R
06-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Depends on your insurance company.

SeRb
06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Depends on your insurance company.
*mumble*

wow, these mooks could get away with murder if they committed it

dtthiaga
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
WTF? You get your windshield changed just from the wear and tear of highway driving? That doesn't sound right..

I would think insurance would only cover it if it was damaged by a tree or hail or vandilized or something, not from chips because of you driving on the highway.

You're reading far too much between the lines. I only replaced my windshield when it cracked. No where did I post that I replace it for "Wear and Tear". You also do realize that replacing a windshield greatly increases your chance of rusting around the windshield. It is in your best interest to have the original glass.

If I catch a sizeable chip in time, I actually get it fixed out of pocket to avoid the hassle. It's common sense that highway driving usually results in higher risk of major stone chips that causes cracks.

THen people would get their front bumpers repainted all the time too... why not get new brakes through insurance while you're at it

Windshield is a safety item. That's why insurance companies are specifically equipped to deal with Windshield Comprehensive Claims. It seems you don't know how Insurance claims work. You could probably claim your bumper stone chips, but they would most likely make you put a claim for each chip on the bumper, and record the date of the incident, as they are mutually exclusive events. :)

And Brakes replacement, that is something Jstalin would do. Do a search about his post on "Sanding/Grinding" brake rotors down to get free replacements. :)

jstalin
06-24-2008, 04:28 PM
And Brakes replacement, that is something Jstalin would do. Do a search about his post on "Sanding/Grinding" brake rotors down to get free replacements. :)

That was for end of warranty, nothing to do with insurance

Nascar318is
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Some insurence companies will let you change your first windsheild without your premiums going up, same deal as All-State's Accident forgiveness.. 1 st accident won't go against you...

dtthiaga
06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Yet it is very unethical, and the main reason and prime example why your policies you stand for would be a huge determent to our society. Then again, so are a lot of things you do and say. :)

Back to the Insurance question. Your premiums should not go up for a reasonable comprehensive claim such as a windshield, provided it is not to frequent. If youíre not with a cut-throat low cost insurance company, these type of claims are really nothing. They might force you to have a higher deductible, or deny comprehensive insurance if you keep having repeated windshield claims.

If in doubt, and you can afford it, fix it yourself. Longevity and good relationship with your broker speaks volumes as well.

Iíve got a large crack now, and one large stone chip. Iím going to get an OEM glass replaced through insurance once the 401 outside of Mississauga is resurfaced.

jstalin
06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Yet it is very unethical, and the main reason and prime example why your policies you stand for would be a huge determent to our society. Then again, so are a lot of things you do and say. :)

I'm not exactly sure how things I've said in the past are relevant to this post, but way to stay on topic dickweed :rolleyes: