PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question, help a brotha out...

maroli
06-13-2008, 12:16 PM
hi.

So if any of you have been following my car woes, we were rear-ended and the guy drove off. We weren't able to get the plates of the guy or anything, but we were def not at fault. If we claim the damage, do our premiums go up? We JUST got the insurance too.

Blades
06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
depends on the insurance company .. I know statefarms wouldn't raise your insurance for that.

maroli
06-13-2008, 12:25 PM
we are with belair. what do I call and tell them? all I know is a green cherokee rear ended me. Its obvious I didn't back into anything cause the damage is up higher than the bumper-it had to be an SUV that hit me

BenBMW
06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Firstly, get a QUOTE on the repair bill. If it's below your deductible, or within' a reasonable price range just beyond your deductible you have two options.

1. Just get it repaired and don't even bother notifying your insurance company.
2. File a police report and notify your insurance company.

They will not likely increase your premium, but they may classify the accident as partially at-fault. That could potentially increase your premiums down the road, but would not increase it right away. At least it shouldn't.

I'm currently with Belair as well. I had a collision (not at fault) that ended up being dropped and converted into Vandilism. The guy who hit me didn't want to make the repairs (even though he offered ahead of time) once I got a quote so he decided to get some people to just smash my car. They ended up merging the collision claim (so nothing is on his record now, that PoS!) into a vandilism claim since the car was written off. Needless to say, I was not very pleased.

maroli
06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
I was quoted for 1000 bucks, nothing major, but if I can get this done by insurance without a resulting increase in premiums that would exceed 1000 dollars eventually, than I'd like to do so.

Boots R
06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
What is your deductable? if it's $1000.00 there's no point in telling your insurance company.

jstalin
06-13-2008, 02:09 PM
If no one is charged you're premiums will def go up, you will have an at-fault or partial-fault claim.

Something similar happened to me except I got the license # and he took off, reported it to the police and the person tried denying... it was a hassle dealing with the insurance and they did their own investigation and eventually found me not at fault, but it was a battle

dtthiaga
06-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I would call Belair direct, from a different (public) phone, and explain the situation. Don't give them your name or details. Just say, you are a belair customer, and wanted to know what would happen in this situation (premium increase etc).

I don't remember exactly what you posted before, but it sounded like you didn't really take it seriously when the accident happened. There was no police report filed right???

Since it is a hit and run, and you have no idea who it is, it is probably hard to go through the insurance. Looking at the pictures, there is quite a bit of rust on the car (not mint). I would say, get the car fixed else where and cheaply as possible.

You should be able to fix the dent, align the bumper, and get both rusty rear fenders fixed for $1000.00. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my winter beater. A guy hit me and turned right. I however, wiped around and chased him. I got the license plate number. I called the cops, and they found him. He was charged with Hit and Run, No Insurance, Suspended Drivers License. Over $5000 worth of charges were laid; all for $500 worth of damage caused to my car.

BenBMW
06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
I would call Belair direct, from a different (public) phone, and explain the situation. Don't give them your name or details. Just say, you are a belair customer, and wanted to know what would happen in this situation (premium increase etc).

I don't remember exactly what you posted before, but it sounded like you didn't really take it seriously when the accident happened. There was no police report filed right???

Since it is a hit and run, and you have no idea who it is, it is probably hard to go through the insurance. Looking at the pictures, there is quite a bit of rust on the car (not mint). I would say, get the car fixed else where and cheaply as possible.

You should be able to fix the dent, align the bumper, and get both rusty rear fenders fixed for $1000.00. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my winter beater. A guy hit me and turned right. I however, wiped around and chased him. I got the license plate number. I called the cops, and they found him. He was charged with Hit and Run, No Insurance, Suspended Drivers License. Over $5000 worth of charges were laid; all for $500 worth of damage caused to my car.

+99999999999999999

That's what that SoB gets! Damn HnR people!

maroli
06-13-2008, 03:37 PM

thanks for your sympathies man! I console myself with the fact that I have a bimmer, albeit a rusted one, whereas he has an american car....
looking at the dent, I see that the crease where the metal meets the bootlid has been pushed up...someone told me that if a crease is affected then it can't be fixed unless the whole part is taken out and rewelded. true?

dtthiaga
06-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I was just trying to point out that your car is not a brand new e90, so you don't have to take it to the best body shop in town. A okay one will do for now.

I would touch up edge of the trunk (if it is scratched) to prevent rust. It looks like it came in contact with the metal strip below it.

Is your trunk damaged? Is that a paint scuff or is it a dent/crease on the trunk?
A body shop should be able to pull and straighten that lower piece. If they drop the bumper, it should be much easier to straighten it up. They will body filler it, but it’s just a cosmetic piece. It should look perfect once done. No need to cut and weld.

For now, just touch up the exposed metal to prevent further rust until you decide what to do.

I know a few shops that would fix the mental strip, and straighten the bumper for $300 or so.

It sucks what happened with you. Call it a bad day, get it fixed and move on. I hope you can find a cheaper place to get it fixed.

maroli
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
thanks brotha

Qube
06-14-2008, 02:39 AM
"If no one is charged you're premiums will def go up, you will have an at-fault or partial-fault claim."

Not always true. My HnR was counted as a not at fault. Was hit in the rear.

kamus
06-14-2008, 05:20 AM
My car was hit while in a parking lot. So no way it was my fault. My premium did not go up. See if you're not even in the car when it gets hit, there's no way they can find you at fault. So.... you could report it that way...

El Gato Liso
06-14-2008, 10:58 AM
belaire blows
dont even deal with them
just get your car fixed yourself.

thats the price you pay for having cheap insurance.
belaire couldn't fight for your life...they say im at fault 100% because i did a completely LEGAL left turn onto a road (not at a traffic light intersection) from a private driveway.
as i make a left turn, this dumbass mother ****er zooms right past me DRIVING in the wrong lane, and turns into my car and mashed up the front. he was cutting around cars that had stopped for me so he can make the left turn lane at the lights...

...and im at fault. belaire direct for the win -_-
very nice rates though...but cant fight for you at all....

dtthiaga
06-14-2008, 04:52 PM
thats the price you pay for having cheap insurance.

as i make a left turn, this dumbass mother ****er zooms right past me DRIVING in the wrong lane, and turns into my car and mashed up the front. he was cutting around cars that had stopped for me so he can make the left turn lane at the lights...

...and im at fault.

Actually, you are at fault because the guy turning left is ALWAYS at fault. It sucks I know, but the guy turning left is as fault, regardless of the other guy and the lane he's in.

Case and point: A friend was turning left at a light. It turned yellow, all the cars stopped. There was a guy on the other side, in the right turing lane, and was already turning right. He already started making the turn.

My buddy started turning left, and the other guy pulled out into traffice again, ran the red and hit his front bumper. My buddy was at fault. The cop even said. "I know the other guy is a fault, but I have to charge you because you were turning left! Sorry dude."

dtthiaga
06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
My car was hit while in a parking lot. So no way it was my fault. My premium did not go up. See if you're not even in the car when it gets hit, there's no way they can find you at fault. So.... you could report it that way...

A parking lot accident is completely different story. Usually, the guy backing up is at fault, or more likely 50/50 fault.

On the road, it's an entire different ball-park.

In a parking out, you have to drive even more defensively! Too many idiots in the parking. It's better to avoid them a all costs. I go pretty slowly in parking lots.