PDA

View Full Version : Putting 6.5" comps in the front kick panels

llbronzell
06-13-2008, 04:03 AM
This is my first post as I just recently purchased a 95 325i and looking to upgrade the car's audio. There seems to be much controversy about "hacking" the car's sheet metal to install 6 1/2 speakers in place of the 5 1/4's. Just wondering what you guys thought and if anyone has successfully installed 6 1/2's, how much did the modification cost you? (talking to those guys who had it professionally done) and what's the maximum mounting depth in the kick panels?

Also, if anyone's looking to sell 3-way comps send a PM my way....

Skeezix
06-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I put 6.5's in my E36, and yes I 'hacked' it and did it myself. 6.5's are a better way to go to get some better mid bass, but is also much harder to do in the E36. I had bought some CDT Euro comp's to go with Q-logic kick panels I had bought, but the 6.5's were too big for the Q-logic, and I didn't want to find another component set that would fit, so I made the CDT's fit in the factory kick panel.

I still have the Q-logic kick panels. They just need speakers with a maximum frame width/diameter of 6.125", which some 6.5's component sets are. And these would be MUCH easier to install than to cut the factory metal panel and will probably sound better too. I'll sell them to you if you're interested. But they only fit the E36 coupe.

llbronzell
06-14-2008, 04:44 PM
And these would be MUCH easier to install than to cut the factory metal panel and will probably sound better too. I'll sell them to you if you're interested. But they only fit the E36 coupe.

that's another concern of mine, because the speaker is tucked so far in there i bet the sound imaging isn't ideal. the q-logic kick panels look like a solution but i have the 4-door sedan. i wonder why they don't fit in the sedan??

thanks Skeezix for the reply, i'm glad to hear someone was able to get a 6.5" speaker in there......was there any problems with the speaker depth??

Skeezix
06-15-2008, 12:25 AM
thanks Skeezix for the reply, i'm glad to hear someone was able to get a 6.5" speaker in there......was there any problems with the speaker depth??

Nope, not with the CDT's there wasn't. I don't know the exact dimensions though, but they seem hefty for a 6.5 but maybe they all are.

tominizer
06-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Can't you do an MDF spacer/buildout to move the driver out a bit so you don't have to hack up the kickpanel area ??

I think I may have a set of 3-ways ............... drop me a PM.

Skeezix
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I tried but the basket of the CDT's still wouldn't quite fit with a 1inch MDF spacer and I didn't want to go out any further. And you'd also have to cut the bottom dash/floor panel (the part the interior light sits in) because the speaker is partially beside that as well.

Can't you do an MDF spacer/buildout to move the driver out a bit so you don't have to hack up the kickpanel area ??

I think I may have a set of 3-ways ............... drop me a PM.

tominizer
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Sell the CDT's and buy something that fits !!

BTW, was I suppost to get back to you on those 3-ways ?!?!??!?!?