PDA

View Full Version : ran into a snag!

Lower_Level
06-07-2008, 02:46 PM
So on the advice of RMP I picked up a vanos m50 head for my non-vanos motor. Rocco had recommended not messing with the cams or anything & just to install the head & not hook up the vanos unit; basically making it a non-vanos head.

Problem that I realized yesterday while looking at the head on the bench is that it doesn't have the vanos unit at all! Totally my fault for not seeing this earlier or asking about it for that matter.

So here's my dilemma:

I can't use the cams in the head as they sit right now because of the sprockets having the movement in them for the vanos unit; correct? (if I'm wrong please let me know!!)

I don't think that I can change out the sprocket on the intake cam to the solid one from my non-vanos cam; or at least it doesn't appear that I can.

So I'm left with 2 options: Pick up a vanos unit & install it but not hook it up

OR

Can I swap out the vanos intake cam with my non-vanos cam & use the head that way? I'm hoping that this is the better option.

The exhaust cams are the same; and I'm pretty sure that I can change out the sprockets so it's just the intake one that's being a PITA right now.

Any replies are always greatly appreciated! I need to get this resolved asap & then get the cams timed on the bench so I can get on with the installation.

Looking at a Bimmer sitting dead in the driveway is making me ill! :puke:

SickFinga
06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Just wondering why did you decide to install VANOS head? Your original head cracked? Or you just want to be able to use aftermarket cams?

Lower_Level
06-07-2008, 06:28 PM
original head was warped pretty badly. Was going to get another non-vanos head but found this head at a great price & couldn't pass it up when I was told that it would bolt on to my motor with no problems.

///tyron
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
you shoulda jus stuck with a non vanos head. jus find a replacement one

Lower_Level
06-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe so; but now I gotta deal with what I have to the best that I can.

I've gotta find a way to make this work...

propr'one
06-07-2008, 07:21 PM
you guys are funny.

why dont you find me a non vanos replacement head? they're not exactly easy to come by.

Lower_Level
06-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I know where one is... LOL

But I'm not tellin' incase I need to buy it myself...

Dr. Flyview
06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
You can have the one from my first first motor, got a blown valve though but Lukeh already took it all apart and everything. Contact him.