PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket - What to do?

vadim321go
06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Alrite so i got my first ever speeding ticket. The cop reduced it to 10 over with no points. If i pay it, its going to go on my record.

What options do i have? If i fight it, can it get thrown out? (Nothing is wrong with the ticket, everything is accurate)

RallyPlaya
06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
You Can fight it and hope the cop doesnt show up.... a majority of the times they dont... but you are lucky he put it down for 10 km saved you quite a bit of coin

Boots R
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
fight it. There's always a chance it will get thrown out.

and just out of curiosity... how long have you been driving?

elroy
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
apparently cops have to show up now as their paid to do it. before it was up to them as to if they wanted to or not, but now its required.

RallyPlaya
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
What happens when you take it Court it can take over a year before you actually make your appearance and if it takes too long they throw it off...... happens quite a lot.... i personally would fight it

Bogart
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Fight it as doesn't matter if your 1 or 49KM's over, the insurance companies see it as being over. I don't believe that you lose any points for 10Km;s over.

BO

vadim321go
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
fight it. There's always a chance it will get thrown out.

and just out of curiosity... how long have you been driving?

driving for about 3 years now, never had any violations before :(

I also heard about the fact that cops are paid like 300$ to show up now. They schedule all their ticket hearings at the same time so its like a major pay day for them!

Boots R
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM

wow, lucky. It only took me 2 weeks of G2 driving before I got an 84km in a 60km.

BenBMW
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Well let's put it another way, why WOULDN'T you fight it?

A: You're just inexperienced/nervous/etc

Basically, you have nothing to lose by fighting the ticket. If you lose, you'll end up paying just like you're paying now. It shows up on your record the the same, but it stays off your record for longer. You're basically either deferring the cost (which saves you money if you factor in inflation) or you save money. There will be no difference to you by pleading guilty or being found guilty, so you might as well try to fight it. I mean, you NEVER KNOW what could happen. The cop could move away, be on vacation, etc.

BenBMW
06-03-2008, 03:36 PM

I also heard about the fact that cops are paid like 300$ to show up now. They schedule all their ticket hearings at the same time so its like a major pay day for them!

I can guarentee that's 100% false. Cops aren't getting paid $300 to show up, nor do cops have the option of scheduling their ticket hearing. That's for the court to decide.

JunzieB
06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
^^
+100 on fighting the ticket. The only thing you have to lose is time & money given that you have to miss work.

But if you pay the fine, going forward your insurance will have you paying waaay more than what you would've lost that one day.*shiner*

hypno_nls1
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
k just to inform all of you that are sadly mistaken, i have already been in this situation so i know a great deal of what i am speaking of. Though the cop did write down on the ticket that you were only 10 over, they still have in their notes of exactly how much over you were going over. When you do get to court the prosecetor tells you straight up, "the officer was very nice to reduce this ticket to this amount but when we do go before the judge i will recommend that you are charged under the original charge, its now up to you wheter you want to go through with the case or not." It has happened to me once and my brother twice, it happens everytime, so if i was you i would simply pay the ticket.

hypno_nls1
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
and lets say for example you were going 87 in a 50 and she tells the judge that you were doing this amount, the judge will have no pity for you.

vadim321go
06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
i was going 32 over :( thats quite a hefy charge.

e46it
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
On your tickets there should be a R written i think in the top corner, that means it was reduced. if you do fight it and the cop shows up he will be pissed and have the prosecutor go to the original speeding based on his notes if you proceed to challenge him. for 10 km i just would pay it, ii dont think it will be impact your insurance at all sicne some of them allow for 1 or 2 minor convictions, or send it to court but don't show up. i have had tickets dropped by sending them to court but i had no intention of showing up, this way if they screw up the papers then the charges will be dropped, of course you have to be lucky too.

JunzieB
06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I Guess it depends on how much you have to lose... I was in that situation about a year and a half ago, and let's just say that I was doing waaay more than what the OP was charged for.*drink*

The cop reduced it to 49 over (yes I said reduced to 49*shiner*) and the fine was $300+ adn of course some points.
I talked to Xcoppers and they pretty much told me to just pay the fine because if I'm unlucky they will raise it right back up and my arse would be out way more than 300 bucks.

I looked at it anyways and said i'll either be facing the thousands in fines one time or overtime in insurance. So, i found a guy from another place. I think it was called points defenders:confused:. Anyway, long story short, my guys showed up and got the case thrown out.

Ever since then, my ass has been like an agel on the road*angel*

I guess you'll just have to weigh your options OP.:)

SpudBoy
06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I was going 70 over but it was a track day. Get the picture?

kamus
06-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I've been to 11 points and back. Four speeding tickets. Had the MTO interview and everything. Some I fought, some not. Never affected my insurance 1 cent. But you could say I'm older than some .. mid 30's..

ShortShifter
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Fight every ticket you get....period! *th-up*

chevale
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Fight it. There is how to: http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/
As for others said 'cop will be pissed' etc. - who cares. Try to win it by technicalities, like asking necessary disclosures, papers, changing the date of trial. Even one document you requested from cop will be missing, you win.
Even if you will lose, the conviction will be delayed for at least 1 year while you'll wait for court, hence your insurance will not be affected before you charged guilty. ANd you'll know what cop actually wrote in his small book about your offense.
I wish I knew FYST site before I get to the trial.
My fine was reduced from 310 to 25 and one charge thrown away. (+10 for trial fees) even without all preparation adviced at site.
Be aware that FYST is like 5 years old, but paperwork to request is all the same.
Good luck.