PDA

View Full Version : safety, windshield cracked

MisTAmaN
06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
this is a noob question, how picky are people when it comes to safety? my windshield has like a bullet mark about the size of my thumb nail. that can easily be repaired with a windsheild repair kit.

my buddy said that it still will not pass safety if they still see it and i would need a whole new windshield. is that true or my buddy just bullshiting me?

like i said its so small and could be repaired.

Boots R
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
By law it needs to be replaced, so yes, you will have to replace it.

unless it's really small, then yeah you can repair it.

SeRb
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
you can get it repaired at a glass place for a VERY small fee if its only that small...

i dont think you have to replace the whole windshield,

would be a good idea to replace it before the crack expands and you actually will need a whole new windshield

e30jones
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it depends where the crack is too. It only matters if it is in the driver's field of view (usually defined by the sweep of the windshield wiper blades) I suppose that is up to the discretion of the tech doing the safety as well. My e30 passed safety with a 2" crack in the bottom left corner, and my old grandprix also passed with a 3" crack from the right window frame near the bottom, moving towards the center of the window (just hadn't made it into the sweep of the wipers yet).

T.Dot_E30
06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
cracks or chips can't be on any part of the windshield that the wipers touch.

no one says you have to replace with new, but it's usally better to just replace it.

archrival
06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
cracks or chips can't be on any part of the windshield that the wipers touch.

no one says you have to replace with new, but it's usally better to just replace it.

correction it is technically in the sweep of the drivers side wiper blade but some shops like to be a little bit more picky...if its small just get it repaired

Soldo
06-03-2008, 08:13 AM
archrival's got it. As long as it doesn't obstruct teh drivers view your okay. Now this depends on what shop is doing the safety, some are jerks about inspections and pretend they know the entire book on whats required for safety!