PDA

View Full Version : What upgrade first, Intake or Exhaust?

NateoriouS
05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
need some advice, i want a "little" more power out my car, but ultimately i'd like it to sound better too..!!

what should do first intake or exhaust? .. or headers.. i dunno.. what's Max's advice..??:confused:

also, *sidenote* .. what's the main difference between an ebay $60 dollar CAI. .. and a name brand $300 CAI?

-thanks

NateOriouS...:cool:

maroli
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
apparently, you don't see any power out of a catback, but it sounds nice
you see more power out of an intake, and it also sounds nicer, though not as overt as a catback.
and someone told me headers don't make much diff in a NA car

Gamite
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Neither will yield that much power. Idealy a performance chip will give you the best combination with the intake and exhaust.

It doesn't really matter what you do first, usually people do intake because it's the easist and cheapest to do.

NateoriouS
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
thanks.... and regarding the ebay CAI question???

maroli
05-29-2008, 12:24 PM
the ebay CAI will have less R&D and the quality of stuff won't be as good. That being said, I was considering one just because of the price advantage. ebay intakes are usually aluminum or stainless maybe, both excellent conductors of heat. This means that being near the engine, the intake itself may heat up and not deliver cool air. ALl of this can be remedied with a heat shield. If you're going intakes price no object style, I'd go with carbon :)

Gamite
05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
apparently, you don't see any power out of a catback, but it sounds nice
you see more power out of an intake, and it also sounds nicer, though not as overt as a catback.
and someone told me headers don't make much diff in a NA car

I dunno, depends I guess. S62's love the headers, but they're $$$.

Gamite
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
the ebay CAI will have less R&D and the quality of stuff won't be as good. That being said, I was considering one just because of the price advantage. ebay intakes are usually aluminum or stainless maybe, both excellent conductors of heat. This means that being near the engine, the intake itself may heat up and not deliver cool air. ALl of this can be remedied with a heat shield. If you're going intakes price no object style, I'd go with carbon :)

your stock airbox probably works better than the ebay CAI's. Look at Carbonio.

maroli
05-29-2008, 12:43 PM
your stock airbox probably works better than the ebay CAI's. Look at Carbonio.

I have a carbonio intake :)

FuryriderX
05-29-2008, 10:46 PM
+1 on the chip. i'd do that before anything....best bang for the buck, for sure. MarkD makes the best ones, so i've been told.

i just said screw it all and went standalone.

maroli
05-29-2008, 11:36 PM
+1 on the chip. i'd do that before anything....best bang for the buck, for sure. MarkD makes the best ones, so i've been told.

i just said screw it all and went standalone.

I don't know that a chip would do anything much unless you had a CAI

bimmerjoe
05-30-2008, 01:18 AM
where do i find a chip for a 540i?? and recomend me a good one

E36is
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Nate: my ride currently has the MarkD chip and before i got that installed i benchmarked my engine by doing a DYNO back in 2006 (rwhp 184), i'll be doing another dyno run in a few weeks so i will let you know exactly what type of hp figures the markd chip has given me. My engine setup is a mild head mod, a stock air filter box with K&n box filter and OEM exhaust just to give you some background.

NateoriouS
05-30-2008, 10:36 AM
thanks rommell.. keep me posted..

actually... where are you going for the dyno.. and when ... i wanna dyno my car too..!

E36is
05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106029

^^ this one, hope to see you there!

NOTORIOUS VR
05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm not a fan of open element filters at all, unless it HAS to be (most turbo applications)... IMO the stock airbox with a drop in K&N or similar is better then any intake (ebay or AEM, etc).

As for the exhaust... You probably won't notice anything. But a properly done cat-back exhaust (custom or bought) would make the car sound nice.

I also agree that a chip will net you the best/most HP/TQ gain.