PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Tool

dannyb
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Does anyone have the airbag tool? I need to pass a safety check and my airbag light is on. I'm sure its related to the passenger seat since it came on when I moved it but I need to fix this for the safety.

Im willing to pay to have the code read.

Thanks

SamE30e
05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
If its a e36 chances are its the passenger side bag sensor in the seat (from what i've heard)

Philboski
05-27-2008, 08:22 AM
That's part of the safety in QC? My 540I passed here in Ontario with the light on.

I'm just a little surprised, that's all.

I tried to see if anyone had the tool a few months ago and got nowhere. If you find someone, let me know.

dannyb
05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
QC safety is much more strict, they dont accept lowered/modified suspensions, any lights in the dash. I think you fail with a Check Engine light on. Faded mirrors also dont pass, basicly anything they can find to fail you they will use it.

I think QC safety is as bad as Cali smog test.

Philboski
05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
QC safety is much more strict, they dont accept lowered/modified suspensions, any lights in the dash. I think you fail with a Check Engine light on. Faded mirrors also dont pass, basicly anything they can find to fail you they will use it.

I think QC safety is as bad as Cali smog test.

I am not sure a strict safety check is necessarily a bad thing, as long as they don't flunk you for silly stuff. The last time I had a car safetied, the guy was very realistic. He noted something, but told me about it, and said if I was selling the car, he would flunk it, but since I was keeping it, and knew about the issue (it was a really old spare tire), he would let it go.

Yeah, you can't pass emissions with a CEL on in Ontario. They won't even test it.

dannyb
05-27-2008, 09:50 AM
They failed a friend of mine because one of his lights was soon to be dead... How can you know if its going to die soon? Either it works or it doesnt.

Nascar318is
05-30-2008, 08:30 AM
My buddy had a rust hole in his floor, failed safety, went to CT bought some Roofing tar, rivets, and a piece of aluminum.. Did the 2 minute job, went back and passed, Quebec is funny for that crap.

Danny, PM jeffrie, he's in Buckingham, he has a code reader for E36 engines.

Philboski
05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
I deid something similar with some caulking and paper towel. The concern with holes in the the floor pan is often with carbon monoxide getting into the passenger compartment. I guess they don't consider it structural.

I've been debating whether or not to buy an airbag code reader to get my codes, pinpoint the problem, and clear it. I would then likely sell it on E-Bay. Cheaper (but much more hassle) than getting someone else to do it.

chromius
05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Danny, PM jeffrie, he's in Buckingham, he has a code reader for E36 engines.

Engine code readers don't do Airbag codes, it's a seperate scan tool.

Jamil20
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we can get a couple people, I'll chip in to the pool to get an airbag tool. :)

Philboski
06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I hope to be doing a fixing frenzy soon, so I just said "Eff it" and bought one of of eBay. I figure it's worth it to save me the cost of the scan, and then the reset once the car is fixed.

Jamil20
06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I hope to be doing a fixing frenzy soon, so I just said "Eff it" and bought one of of eBay. I figure it's worth it to save me the cost of the scan, and then the reset once the car is fixed.

Sweet. Are you willing to do resets for local members? ;)

Philboski
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, assuming we can make schedules work (mine is impossible, by the way). If I can ever make it out to the Friday Tims, I'll bring it along.