PDA

View Full Version : SO, gas prices, anyone considering chip tuning for mileage?

Bartacus
05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
With gas prices the way they are now, have any of you gentlemen considered getting a MarkD (or other) chip/tuning for better mileage? I know most people only chip/tune for power gains and such, but I'm wondering if a mileage chip/tune would be worth the cash?

Bart

maroli
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
considering the amount of people with 338's in here.....

NOTORIOUS VR
05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Why bother? For the few L/100km difference... If economy is your concern, buy a smaller car with a much smaller engine.

My tank is 55L, and I fill up with Shell 91 only... That's a minimum of $62 if I don't drive it empty (12-15L left). I don't mind, because I'd rather drive my VR then a shitty little 4 banger.

Bartacus
05-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Why bother? For the few L/100km difference... If economy is your concern, buy a smaller car with a much smaller engine.

My tank is 55L, and I fill up with Shell 91 only... That's a minimum of $62 if I don't drive it empty (12-15L left). I don't mind, because I'd rather drive my VR then a shitty little 4 banger.

Sure, just let me reach on up my ass and pull out money for a new car. Hmm, not enough. All I found was a quarter. :) I can't afford a new car man. If I could, I'd buy a Geo from eBay. It makes much more sense to me to chip it. I've only got 168hp anyways, so power is not a factor.

Bart

SeRb
05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Sure, just let me reach on up my ass and pull out money for a new car. Hmm, not enough. All I found was a quarter. :) I can't afford a new car man. If I could, I'd buy a Geo from eBay. It makes much more sense to me to chip it. I've only got 168hp anyways, so power is not a factor.

Bart

all it comes down to is with the chip, how much $$$ would you save? and how long would it take you to cover the cost of your chip in gas savings...

if you're not going to drive the car for a time period that you're going to make up your cost and actually start saving cash beyond that, do it

Bartacus
05-27-2008, 09:32 AM
all it comes down to is with the chip, how much $$$ would you save? and how long would it take you to cover the cost of your chip in gas savings...

if you're not going to drive the car for a time period that you're going to make up your cost and actually start saving cash beyond that, do it

Well I drive my car tons, so if I could chip it, the potential to save some $$$ is there. I live outside Ottawa and I drive 110KM per day just going back for forth to work. Plus I'm usually in town at least once per weekend, so say 660KMs per week. My sedan is 2002 and I just broke the 201,000KM mark. :) Filling up once a week (at least) is costing me mucho dineros!

If I had cruise control, I'd save too (kicking myself for not getting cruise now!). Wonder how "retrofittable" cruise is...

Bart

1BADRIDE
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
(Fuel only, dont forget insurance, maintenance, depreciation)

25000km/yr
$1.50/L

= $0.15/km @ 10L/100km, $1.50/L
$0.15/km * 25000km/yr = $3750/yr

= $0.18/km @ 12L/100km, $1.50/L
$0.18/km * 25000km/yr = $4500/yr

= $0.12/km @ 8L/100km, $1.50/L
$0.12/km * 25000km/yr = $3000/yr

= $0.125/km @ 10L/100km, $1.25/L
$0.125/km * 25000km/yr = $3125/yr

= $0.095/km @ 10L/100km, $0.95/L
$0.095/km * 25000km/yr = $2375/yr

Those differences could be significant for many people.

I know PLENTY of people where $4500/yr would be more than 10% of their total post-tax income.

Gas tax in Ontario is $0.147/L for 2008 (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

europrince
05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Well I drive my car tons, so if I could chip it, the potential to save some $$$ is there. I live outside Ottawa and I drive 110KM per day just going back for forth to work. Plus I'm usually in town at least once per weekend, so say 660KMs per week. My sedan is 2002 and I just broke the 201,000KM mark. :) Filling up once a week (at least) is costing me mucho dineros!

If I had cruise control, I'd save too (kicking myself for not getting cruise now!). Wonder how "retrofittable" cruise is...

Bart

Bro, I used to drive that much to my job when I lived at home. I don't know your situation, but you can see if someone lives near you and try to car pool. Or perhaps you can try to find a job much closer to you. As far as buying a small 4 banger, who said you have to buy new? Buy something for the same market value as your car. If you're tight on cash, you have to explore all options to make it work.

Fel
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Is that it..?

81L tank FTL :(
I get some nasty gas bills if I let it go down below a 1/4 tank.

Word to the wise though, I got a MarkD (EAT) chip in my car, and it didn't make any difference as far as gas mileage was concerned. Putting a chip in your car is a performance consideration, and though it makes fuel usage more efficient than typical, you won't necessarily use less. The power comes from somewhere. Plus, being forced to use 91 on my chipped car over the 89 it took before isn't a savings either.

Sneaky
05-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Bart

Its an easy retrofit and Im selling the stock multifunction steering wheel and airbag for $250,

Bartacus
05-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Bro, I used to drive that much to my job when I lived at home. I don't know your situation, but you can see if someone lives near you and try to car pool. Or perhaps you can try to find a job much closer to you. As far as buying a small 4 banger, who said you have to buy new? Buy something for the same market value as your car. If you're tight on cash, you have to explore all options to make it work.

I ain't giving up my baby!! :) Car pooling is always an option, but buying a new car is NOT. Too poor. I'm considering more drastic measures (sellng my house). I live out in the middle of buttf*ck nowhere, so changing jobs isn't an option around here. There isn't any decent paying IT work in a town that's so small it shouldn't even be CALLED a town.

I CAN afford the gas, but I'd much rather minmize the cost if I can.

Sneaky: OH REALLY!?!?! Now THAT is interesting. I've been lamenting the lack of cruise for some time now, especially when I hit the 401 to visit friends in Hammertown.

Bart

Sneaky
05-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Sneaky: OH REALLY!?!?! Now THAT is interesting. I've been lamenting the lack of cruise for some time now, especially when I hit the 401 to visit friends in Hammertown.

Bart

Your car is a 2002, that means it has the same airbag as my 2003. Most of the time, the wiring is in place and it's plug and play. If not, then a $50 wiring harness is all that is needed (not even that if you just splice wires) and all functions, including cruise control will work.

Bartacus
05-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Your car is a 2002, that means it has the same airbag as my 2003. Most of the time, the wiring is in place and it's plug and play. If not, then a $50 wiring harness is all that is needed (not even that if you just splice wires) and all functions, including cruise control will work.

Hmmmm, I'm on the phone with my mechanic now and he won't do it. :( Poor old guy said NOOOOOO way will he even attempt it. Time to start phoning other mechanics!! My guy doesn't have the proper wiring diagrams since they only give those to dealerships. And his experience is mostly older bimmers. Time to talk to Rocco@RMP methinks!

Bart

Nascar318is
05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
You could try what the "Pros" Say, air pressure, clean and wax your car often, don't take off from a stop sign like you stole the car, windows up on the highway etc...

Here is the comparison for my 2 cars, that's if you decide to get another car.

My Bmw 1.8L is around 62L around $79 to fill on regular.

My Civic 1.8L is around the 45L around $59 to fill on regular.

No matter what car I drive I have to fill it once a week with the KM's I do, around 550.

You can go out and buy a late 90's Civic Hatch and it'll cost you less then $40 to fill up and run for the week. Or spend 2500$ on a moped and pay 15$ a week in gas.

BenBMW
05-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Gas prices are brutal, lol. I'm contemplating selling my BMW (along with the new lightning system I just bought for it :() and buying a very cheap on gas car. Then in another year once all my college debt is paid off and I've got much more disposable income, I'll buy a BMW again. I'm rapidly paying down everything so I'm 100% debt free, then I can buy a house. Leaves me very little disposable income doing it this way, but saves me lots of interest.

Anyone wanna buy a '95 325is? :P lol.

Bartacus
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd have better options if I didn't have such a bad year so far financially. $3000 in car repairs (unexpected), my oil furnace died and needs to be replaced (another $4000 or so that I haven't spent yet), I have 2 bent rims that I'm ready to throw in the garbage (don't buy Miro rims EVER), etc! The hits just keep on coming.

These are the reasons I'm looking to save anywhere I can. I'm gonna be in debt like never before after this year. I'm jealous of you 2-income people. Single life + mortgage + BMW = financial torture! I gotta find me a sugar momma. :)

Bart

Sneaky
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Gas prices are brutal, lol. I'm contemplating selling my BMW (along with the new lightning system I just bought for it :() and buying a very cheap on gas car. Then in another year once all my college debt is paid off and I've got much more disposable income, I'll buy a BMW again. I'm rapidly paying down everything so I'm 100% debt free, then I can buy a house. Leaves me very little disposable income doing it this way, but saves me lots of interest.

Anyone wanna buy a '95 325is? :P lol.

WOW Im in college too and I would never get rid of my BMW no matter how much gas prices are. If anything suffers it will be my mods. I havent been able to mod for the past two months because of unexpected expenses.

Meegis
05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I love how everyone on the internet takes the wrong approach. I have done way too much research on this topic and trust me, it isn't about what car you drive or how you drive it. Yes, that is one aspect, but think of all the other daily things you do that can easily be changed.

For example, you pay for premium HD channels, or have a cell phone plan with more than necessary means, or you buy lunch on the daily, etc etc.

Life changes are more necessary than a car style. Think of EVERYTHING you do.

Sneaky
05-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I love how everyone on the internet takes the wrong approach. I have done way too much research on this topic and trust me, it isn't about what car you drive or how you drive it. Yes, that is one aspect, but think of all the other daily things you do that can easily be changed.

For example, you pay for premium HD channels, or have a cell phone plan with more than necessary means, or you buy lunch on the daily, etc etc.

Thats true,

Personally If I gave up coffee or made my own lunch at home I would have 2 hundred extra bucks in my pocket every month.

Nascar318is
05-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Thats true,

Personally If I gave up coffee or made my own lunch at home I would have 2 hundred extra bucks in my pocket every month.

Ditto, Lunch and Smokes for a month is $600 right there..timmies coffee every morning is another $50 a month for you starbucks guys that's like $200 a month.. Instead of going out to a bar and spending $200+ a weekend, stay home get a 24 and that's another $160 a week in your pocket...

Hell I even dropped my insurence from fully covered to fire/theft on my bmw..

Bart: I know what you mean, single, child, mortgage, 2 cars, insurence, etc.... I have to neglect my bmw for awhile due to money, my filter for my pool just took a crap :(

Sneaky
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Ditto, Lunch and Smokes for a month is $600 right there..timmies coffee every morning is another $50 a month for you starbucks guys that's like $200 a month.. Instead of going out to a bar and spending $200+ a weekend, stay home get a 24 and that's another $160 a week in your pocket...

Bart: I know what you mean, single, child, mortgage, 2 cars, insurence, etc.... I have to neglect my bmw for awhile due to money, my filter for my pool just took a crap :(

Yeah I just quit smoking. I'm starting to notice that I'm saving money because I'm not going to the store as much.

Bullet Ride
05-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Gas prices aren't bad at all relatively speaking. Oil prices have gone up 76% compared to this time last year and gas prices have only gone up 15%. High prices are hear to stay, get use to it.
Don't live beyond your means.

vadim321go
05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
i experimented with putting 89 instead of 91 and i noticed no difference in mileage, just less performance which isnt a huge deal for me

Bartacus
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM

The truth! I've cut lots of corners before this. My TV blew up a few years back, so I didn't buy another one. Haven't watched TV in years. :) Started buying second hand books, and I read instead. Saved a fair bit of monthly bill there. Got a cell plan (inherited from someone else) that Fido doesn't offer anymore (only $10 a month, but 15 cents a minute to use). Since I only use the cell for emergencies, I'm laughing there too.

Now if I could only learn to cook and quit drinking.... :) I'm Nova Scotian; asking us not to drink is like asking a jogger not to breath.

Bart

europrince
05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
^ you and Meegis both have very valid points! *th-up*

Boots R
05-27-2008, 03:02 PM
...I have done way too much research on this topic ...

Why does that not surprise me. :D

AceOfSpades
05-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Why does that not surprise me. :D

hahahahahhahahaahahahha!!!!!!!! hahahahhahahh:D:D:D:D

StikiGreenZ
05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Take the spare tire out of your car, run on steelies (reduce unsprung weight), or jsut sell the car and buy a 4-banger. Chip wont do any good.

I agree with the points above, lifestyle changes go a long way.

tig
05-27-2008, 07:02 PM
i got markD software installed on my 328 for the s52 cams that were put in and i actually started to get 50km more per tank after the software

archrival
05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Nascar318is;1157627]
QUOTE]
I've been debating this too but i know the day i take it off something is probably gonna happen :(
the savings would be kinda nice

automadness
05-27-2008, 08:34 PM
i drive a 99 jimmy in the winter and my 330 in the summer and the 330 is a lot better on gas my jimmy does like 400km with $70 and the bmw does 600km on a tank so i would rather drive my bmw :P

Nascar318is
05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=Nascar318is;1157627]
QUOTE]
I've been debating this too but i know the day i take it off something is probably gonna happen :(
the savings would be kinda nice

As long as it's not your fault(AKA driving like a dink and loosing control) you'll be fine, if some tard hits you, you are still fine. It's only if the accident is your fault then you are Fuked for your repairs. Since I did that, I drive slower on the highway and don't drive to close to the guy ahead of me etcc..

Bart: I saved $6.60 today by filling up in Downtown Ottawa rather then Gatineau :) 11 cents cheaper

Bartacus
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Wow, Gatineau sounds like the Maritimes. My poor parents are paying $1.40 for REGULAR gas in Cape Breton!! Mental note: never enter Quebec, unless hot french girls drag me!

Bart