PDA

View Full Version : Short shifters

Bliss
02-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Who has what short shifter kit? I heard alot of good things and bad things about the UUC ones. I don't know what's true anymore. Are they very stiff? do they make noise? any suggestions on any short shifter kit? Thanks.

M52_Alpina
02-13-2002, 03:02 PM
M54TU_Schnitzer has UUC SSK in his 330i.. the kit is amazing, very short throw through gears,.. they don't make noises at all but they are very stiff, i think it is designed to be stiff so one can prevent miss shifts.. on a scale of 10, with 10 being the best, i would rate the UUC SSK 9.5..

cyc
02-13-2002, 03:18 PM
I've the Rogue Engeering SSK for about 2 months and I love it.
A slight increase in shifting effort but i got used to it soon after install. I'd say around 30% decrease in throw and feel more precise when shifting. I was considering both UUC and RE back then. They r quite similar in design as they r both designed by Ben Liaw. The RE one was developed after the UUC ssk so i decided to give it a try.

Actually me and Frank (M54TU_Schnitzer) r going to meet up to check out the two SSKs. That's a perfect chance if u wanna do some comparison... I wish I had such a chance when I was in the market for SSK :D

Bliss
02-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Did you guys do the installations?? Was it a lot of work?

cyc
02-13-2002, 03:30 PM
i brought it to Engineered Automotive for installation.
I wanted to do it myself but i dun have a jack stand and it's freaking cold in the garage :(
It should be rather straight fwd and comes with an instruction.
The instruction says installation would be approx. 30-90 mins.
EA took 1.5 hrs to do the job :mad: and Ben Liaw can do it in 15 mins...
:huh?: :huh?:

cyc
02-13-2002, 03:38 PM
In addition, RE just came up with a Weighted Selector Rod few days ago. The RE rod is much heavier than the stock rod and RE claims it reduces gearbox notchiness and improves smoothness.
The idea is similar to having a weighted shiftknob. Here's the line that interested me :D
Honda, for example, is notorious for silky smooth, short shifters in such cars as the S2000. Their secret for their short, smooth throws is attributed to the weight of the cables actuating the shifting. Now the secret is out for BMWs.

For more detail:
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RE&Category_Code=RWSR

SickFinga
02-13-2002, 04:48 PM
I wanna get AA short shifter.
and here is a good news they have a new distributer in Toronto
EAST COAST
M-Turbo Power
8920 Woodbine Avenue
Suite 100
Markham, Ontario
Canada, L3R 9W9
Tel:905470 9604 Ext 230
m3turboca@yahoo.com
Mark
Sales/Installation

Bliss
02-13-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by cyc
i brought it to Engineered Automotive for installation.
I wanted to do it myself but i dun have a jack stand and it's freaking cold in the garage :(
It should be rather straight fwd and comes with an instruction.
The instruction says installation would be approx. 30-90 mins.
EA took 1.5 hrs to do the job :mad: and Ben Liaw can do it in 15 mins...
:huh?: :huh?:
I know me and a friend installed his in about 15 mins. It wasn't that hard, but was wondering about the E46 cars. I guess it would be the same idea.

cyc
02-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Should be very easy for u since u've done it once b4.
Good luck! ;)

Dluxazn58
02-13-2002, 08:24 PM
I want to install a SSK soon as well..

whats involved? I wont have to drop the tranny out will I?

keep in mind... all I have is a tool box full of... crap? a jack and 2 jack stands...

can this be done from inside the car? and w/o any tranny "droppin"?

M54TU Schnitzer
02-13-2002, 10:17 PM
Yeah.. as cyc and M52_Alpina mentioned. I have the UUC comp evoII ssk in my car.. and I like it very much, too. I think UUC and RE will be very very similar.
I have try AA short shift, too. It is alot shorter then stock, too. pretty much same as UUC in terms of the distance of each gear. But it's not as stiff and precise as UUC. It's very soft when shifting. So I think AA don't have that sportier feel as UUC.

Hey, cyc. How much did you spend on the labour when install your RE ssk at Engineer Automotive..???
I got mine install at BBR, and they charged me alot.. damn..

cyc
02-14-2002, 12:52 AM
oh... i got charged 1.5 hrs of labour so that comes to ~120 + tax
I expected to be much less tho...
how much u paid?

M54TU Schnitzer
02-14-2002, 01:20 AM
oh man..i pay more.. but i forgot how much tho......