PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged 330 - Spark Plugs

M3GA
05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 BMW 330Ci Surpercharged.

Was wondering what spark plugs you guys use for supercharged systems?

I was thinking of going to NGK IX Iridium plugs and was reading on their website that for modified systems you should use cooler plugs that will absorb/extract more heat from the chambers.

This last weekend I was in the USA, and asked an autoparts shop about plugs, and they could order the NGK IX in a cooler set up.

Let me know what u guys are running...

Thanks.

NOTORIOUS VR
05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Generally with more cylinder pressure comes more heat... which means risk of detonation. Running a colder plug means that you're making sure the plug doesn't become a source of ignition when there is no spark.

I'm not sure what heat range is stock on your motor, but going 1-2 heat ranges colder is not a bad thing. Also you might want to consider sticking with a copper plug to find a heat range. They're much cheaper, and copper NGK's are excellent plugs. Irridiums are good as well, but they'll cost a lot more and if you're experimenting you might not want to dump all the money into something you cannot take back.

How many PSI are you running?

M3GA
05-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Notorious good info. I bought the car modded, the gauge shows 14psi of boost (in.Hg).

What gap should I use? around 0.021?

Another question, lately I've been getting starting issues. Doesn't start cleanly or requires a few tries. Meaning it cranks, but does not start. The issue usually arises when the weather is rainy, probably due to excess moisture in the air. Can the current plugs be inspected, cleaned out and put back (I don't think they are that old); or is it better just to replace the plugs.
If it is a moisture issue, what's the best way to prevent moisture affecting the plugs in the future or to correct current problem with old plugs.

M3GA
05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have the part# for NGK Copper plugs. I went to CT and PartSource this weekend and they only had Champion Copper plugs on their system. I noticed CT carried the NGK Copper's, just need a part number!

2003 BMW 330Ci - Supercharged
I want plugs one heat range colder.

Thanks.

SickFinga
05-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I got my NGK BKR7E from here
http://www.autopartsway.ca/performance/PartDetails.cfm?ID=N126097

NOTORIOUS VR
05-26-2008, 12:39 PM
You should be able to get away with a gap of .028-30... No need to go that close IMO, but if you have problems go down from there (25...22)

Also You might want to look into the rubber boots from your COP's... there might be a rip/break somewhere... pull them all out take them off u'r COP and inspect/replace as needed.

btw, I've replied to u'r PM as well.

Thanks Notorious good info. I bought the car modded, the gauge shows 14psi of boost (in.Hg).

What gap should I use? around 0.021?

Another question, lately I've been getting starting issues. Doesn't start cleanly or requires a few tries. Meaning it cranks, but does not start. The issue usually arises when the weather is rainy, probably due to excess moisture in the air. Can the current plugs be inspected, cleaned out and put back (I don't think they are that old); or is it better just to replace the plugs.
If it is a moisture issue, what's the best way to prevent moisture affecting the plugs in the future or to correct current problem with old plugs.

Hamann330ci
06-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Yo get the IK22 plugs
I use these and I'm running a SC and they are fine, if you boot it alot then look into a fresh pair every 1-1/2 years