PDA

View Full Version : DAMN. Help required.

everlast
05-14-2008, 08:20 PM
So I got a flat today, no biggie, but when I jacked up the car I crushed my rocker. DAMMIT. Bad day from step one.

What's worse is I KNEW the rocker was rotten and a buddy had a truck jack there (that I ended up using). So it could have been avoided.

So, who knows a body shop that can repair this? I have had NO luck with body shops lately either; specifically Ottos that really pissed me off last week. Nor have I ever found a place that happily has said "yes, we'd love to take your money and fix your car." They all say, "oh, really, we don't deal with rust, etc, very much."

So somebody.. PLEASE, tell me a body shop that can replace the rockers on a 91 525i.

Hopefully yours,
Jason

ecuconnection
05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
beacon???

everlast
05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
They are one of the specific shops I had mind when I mentioned the 'we don't do rust'. Exact words from them. I think they'd rather paint bumper covers and replace taillights all day: cleaner and more profitable work.

ecuconnection
05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
lol Ya never used em and dont know much about them ... Good luck though!

HoldenC
05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I like Fine Line Collision in Markham. They have a nice, clean shop and appear to put out some of the best work in the GTA.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you were in Ottawa.

carjoe
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Didn't Ahmad get his rust fixed recently?

Nascar318is
05-14-2008, 10:43 PM
^^ Yeah I think so.. didn't he put a giant hole in his rocker? And what gives with body shops that don't deal with rust?? That's like all the garages I dealt with, Duss, Otto's Elite etc.. Sorry we don't work on sunroofs... What the hell..

bmdbley'sBro
05-15-2008, 04:36 AM
my bro knows a few 'actual phone numbers' to shops half way to fortune that will fix rust.

Leeview (iirc the name) off vanier did a good job on my e36.

stealerships i've found are always 'top dollar' used only if insurance is paying

chromius
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Any place that does frame up resto's I'm sure will do it. Not sure if there still around, but there was a place off bank st (far south) that would most likely do it. They do some seriously good work. They do complete resto's of classic cars, so you know they have to be good at what they do.

I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but give me a few minutes and I'll try and find it.

Edit: Ohhh. Another idea I had....you want to just split on a welder? Home repair FTW!

Nascar318is
05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Edit: Ohhh. Another idea I had....you want to just split on a welder? Home repair FTW!

I think Jeff has a Plasma cutter if not mistaken, good for cutting.. then you'll need a welder as well..

carjoe
05-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I gotta keep an eye on this thread. I think rust is actually holding my car together...

Philboski
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Any place that does frame up resto's I'm sure will do it. Not sure if there still around, but there was a place off bank st (far south) that would most likely do it. They do some seriously good work. They do complete resto's of classic cars, so you know they have to be good at what they do.

I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but give me a few minutes and I'll try and find it.

There's always Majestic Auto Restorers. http://www.majesticautorestorers.com

Don't know about their quality of work or pricing, but they do say rust repair on their site.

I have heard good things about Caron off St. Laurent as well. Can't say that I know if they do rust, though.

chromius
05-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Looks like the place I was thinking of is gone. Sounds like the owner retired or something.

But any restoration place will do. Like Phil said, I'm sure Majestic will do it, and they've been around for quite some time.

everlast
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I have access to a welder, I just don't know how to weld! I was checking out if I could get aftermarket rockers and weld them in, but I haven't found anything so far. I did find some for e30 though, for $74 a piece, wow!

chromius
05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I have access to a welder, I just don't know how to weld! I was checking out if I could get aftermarket rockers and weld them in, but I haven't found anything so far. I did find some for e30 though, for $74 a piece, wow!

Trial and error...if you mess it up, just cut the peice out and try again:) All the shows on T.V make metal work look so easy:D

everlast
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
LOL, they sure do! Anyone have any idea of what the actual design / construction of the rocker looks like underneath? I can just peel away a section of rust and look, but I'd rather not, lol. I was thinking of trying to make some function / ugly rockers to hold the car together and get some '95 side skirts to go over top.

Philboski
05-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Trial and error...if you mess it up, just cut the peice out and try again:) All the shows on T.V make metal work look so easy:D

Tell me about it. I tried using my dad's MIG welder a couple of times, and I was utterly useless with it. I was worse with an arc rig.

To the OP -- if get the Pennysaver, Smart Shopper, whatever uit is now, check there. there used to be a guy who advertised in there about cheap bodywork. An older Scottish fellow named Jim. He had 25 years professional experience and access to a good shop. Best part was he charged $25/hour. He refused to paint however.

He's done work for me on two cars now, and I have been happy. Of course, for $25/hour under the table, my standards weren't as high as they might otherwise be.

everlast
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Any way you can find the number of the guy? That sounds perfect, as I will paint with truck bed liner after anyway!

Philboski
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Sorry, but I don't have the number on it's own, and I don't have a current copy of the Pennysaver/Smart Shopper. I am not even sure if he is still doing it.

I can check when I get back from out of town on the weekend -- I am sure that the Pennysaver/Smart Shopper will be stuffed in my mailbox.

everlast
05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Lol, thanks.. Almost unbelievably, the pennysaver has finally STOPPED being delivered after about 30 reqs to stop. They would just end up in my garden, full of dirt and soaked.

Lee in Ottawa
05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
let me know if you find side skirts, i'll be so pissed if you find em local.

Philboski
05-20-2008, 09:25 AM
The Pennysaver actually showed up....and no luck. I'll dig around a little more at home -- I can't believe that I'd just lose this guy's number given his prices.

bmdoubleya
05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
This guy is doing some body work on my gold e30 right now.

shop is called collosion universelle
819 684 0365. It's right behind euro parts in aylmer.

1321 vanier road j9h 5e1

He does not speak english vey well.