PDA

View Full Version : Help a brother out! Who can do an engine swap? Mechanic? Garage?

Wingking
04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Hello all,

Can anyone suggest a garage, or mechanic that would be able to perform a straight engine swap..looking to toss my tired high mileage M20b27 ETA engine, with a fresher M20b25 engine.

Work is no longer allowing me to perform this project myself, and i'm not willing to let go of the car just yet.

Initially I was trying to line up the engine that "Striker" from TurboReady had available...essentially i'm looking for something of that caliber...(budget stroker.)

Car is a 1985 325e.

Looking for full swap, (new tranny will be provided)

will also entertain a M30 swap if know-how is available.

I have a budget in mind which is workeable.
thanks

DANE
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
bimmersport one of the sponsors

punnzzells
04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
RMP - Rocco or Engineered Automotive - Dave

everlast
04-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Can Striker not do the swap for you? He's a very competent guy with a wrench, just busy.

Wingking
04-18-2008, 03:26 AM
oh theres no doubt he can-
I just don't want to 'step on any toes' for lack of better words...
I understand he's got his own projects and priorites on the go-

still am super interested in the 327 swap he's got going on tho..hmmm

chromius
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
If you're not in a huge rush there is a guy in Manotick that could probably do it. He's always super busy though, so it might take him some time. His labor rates are reasonable...I think like $60/hr. His name is Todd, and the shop is called Autobahn Tuning. I've never used him personally, but my father and some people I know have used him and seem to like his work.

Wingking
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Cool thanks for the tips guys, and PM bmdoubleya :)

Philboski
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Another possible -- Tonik Motorsports -- 819-682-4955. Warren is the guy's name. He's a friend of a friend. Warren predominantly works on VWs but seems to follow the philosophy that no swap is completely impossible. For example: he built an AWD TDI Golf for his wife.

I have used Todd at Autobahn for most of the work on my car -- the keyhere is not to be in a rush. He told me numerous times that he was "bringing it into the shop tomorrow" when no such thing happened. It took 3 weeks to get my car back from some timing chain work. It's run like a top ever since (aside from a noise that came...then went), but I was really PO'd at the time - Adam knows the story.

chromius
04-18-2008, 02:35 PM
the noise went away on it's own Phil?

Wingking
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Another possible -- Tonik Motorsports -- 819-682-4955. Warren is the guy's name. He's a friend of a friend. Warren predominantly works on VWs but seems to follow the philosophy that no swap is completely impossible. For example: he built an AWD TDI Golf for his wife.

I have used Todd at Autobahn for most of the work on my car -- the keyhere is not to be in a rush. He told me numerous times that he was "bringing it into the shop tomorrow" when no such thing happened. It took 3 weeks to get my car back from some timing chain work. It's run like a top ever since (aside from a noise that came...then went), but I was really PO'd at the time - Adam knows the story.

Spoke to Todd from Autobahn, and he'd be looking @ 20hrs:eek: for a M20 to M20 swap...which seemed a little dear to me, and wasn't booking untill mid-July.

bmdoubleya
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Spoke to Todd from Autobahn, and he'd be looking @ 20hrs:eek: for a M20 to M20 swap...which seemed a little dear to me, and wasn't booking untill mid-July.

I work with warren and he is also very busy ..

chromius
04-18-2008, 03:56 PM

20hrs might be a little high, but doesn't seem that out of whack considering it's a b27 to b25 swap. So you'd be looking at changing out the whole wire harness/cluster/ecu/trans/engine, Diff most likely.

Wingking
04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
20hrs might be a little high, but doesn't seem that out of whack considering it's a b27 to b25 swap. So you'd be looking at changing out the whole wire harness/cluster/ecu/trans/engine, Diff most likely.

Anyone know whether a 87 m20b5 ecu is compatible with the 85 m20b7?
both are the earlier of the E30's...

I don't see the reason as to why the rear diff would need to be replaced...

oldskool3
04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
no the b25 ecu wont work with a b27

The reason you would change your diff would be to get a higher gear ratioed one like a 3.73 also to go LSD

oldskool3
04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Just remembered my brother got his turbo work done at a shop in stittsville called autovation. The guys seemed to be really good plus the owner has a supercharged m3

http://autovation.ca/

chromius
04-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Anyone know whether a 87 m20b5 ecu is compatible with the 85 m20b7?
both are the earlier of the E30's...

I don't see the reason as to why the rear diff would need to be replaced...

As Jesse mentioned, the ECU's are not compatible. If my memory serves me right, you have a 153? or something ecu, and you are looking for a 173 or equivalent.

As for the diff, the main reason is that the low gearing in the eta, (2.83 or 2.73 can't remember) will not be great with a m20b25, because the power bands are different, the torque is greater on the b27 to be able to use that long gearing, where as the b25 likes to get the revs up to make good power. It's not mandatory to swap the diff, but it might be a little doggy with gearing that long on a b25.

Wingking
04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
As Jesse mentioned, the ECU's are not compatible. If my memory serves me right, you have a 153? or something ecu, and you are looking for a 173 or equivalent.

As for the diff, the main reason is that the low gearing in the eta, (2.83 or 2.73 can't remember) will not be great with a m20b25, because the power bands are different, the torque is greater on the b27 to be able to use that long gearing, where as the b25 likes to get the revs up to make good power. It's not mandatory to swap the diff, but it might be a little doggy with gearing that long on a b25.

ahhh okay...now I gotcha...

freg I keep forgetting about Autovation...good call-

ecuconnection
04-19-2008, 03:31 AM
http://autovation.ca/ is the way to go!

everlast
04-19-2008, 10:22 AM
The eta has a 027 ECU, you need either 153 or 173. I have a 153 for sale cheap. But I would chip the eta and run with it first. I have one for sale too, but I'm not just saying it to sell it, I really think its a wicked motor to chip.. huge gains!

It is really a considerable expense to swap to the i motor.. Before I did that, I would get all the suspension / body done first, throw in a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end and chip the Eta.

+ 24 hp
+ 28 ft/#

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=027-000

chromius
04-19-2008, 10:55 AM
^^I guess I was way off on the eta ECU..lol My 88 had a 154 originally so for some reason I thought the earlier ones had a 153.*shiner*

everlast
04-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Lol.. that's cuz you had that weird-ass superEta motor. *shiner*

Wingking
04-19-2008, 11:07 AM
The eta has a 027 ECU, you need either 153 or 173. I have a 153 for sale cheap. But I would chip the eta and run with it first. I have one for sale too, but I'm not just saying it to sell it, I really think its a wicked motor to chip.. huge gains!

It is really a considerable expense to swap to the i motor.. Before I did that, I would get all the suspension / body done first, throw in a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end and chip the Eta.

+ 24 hp
+ 28 ft/#

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=027-000

definately have thought of chipping and hanging onto the ETA engine as long as possible, yet at 340km's (rebuild head)...it's getting rather tired (very loud valvetrain...unknown bottom end condition)

Car is heading for rear subframe bushings, and suspension (h&r/bils) mid next week, followed by body/paint work early May...by than, I'm really hopping to get the engine/tranny/diff etcetc etc done.

chromius
04-19-2008, 11:16 AM
definately have thought of chipping and hanging onto the ETA engine as long as possible, yet at 340km's (rebuild head)...it's getting rather tired (very loud valvetrain...unknown bottom end condition)

Car is heading for rear subframe bushings, and suspension (h&r/bils) mid next week, followed by body/paint work early May...by than, I'm really hopping to get the engine/tranny/diff etcetc etc done.

Have you done a thorough inspection of the eta motor? Do a compression test? , Does it use lots of oil? 340km's isn't unheard of for an eta. I'm sure it will last much longer than that providing it was well cared for.

The loud valvetrain could be as simple as a valve adjustment. Not to mention m20 valvetrains are pretty noisy to begin with anyway.

everlast
04-19-2008, 12:21 PM
^^ Yep what he said. My eta has 330K went I got rid of it as the body was shot. The motor was perfect, still getting good mileage even and was ripped apart to use the bottom end for a FI project.

Just out of curiosity, is it a manual or auto?

Wingking
04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
it's a 5spd manual-
the engine barely burns , if any oil.

I've been diligent on checking the levels-

I haven't had the chance to do a comp. test...if I can manage the time, I'll get some #'s tomorrow...if comp. is good, I'll go from there and see what the clackety racket is happening in the valvetrain...if it's just the matter of a valve adjustment..than*rockout*

oldskool3
04-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Best advice ever I swapped to a b25 from a b27 and now all I have is a b25 that runs like shit with bad suspension and rust. Mind you my b27 was completely dead so I didn't have much choice.

Philboski
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
the noise went away on it's own Phil?

I think so. I'll have to check again -- I can't hear it from the drivers' seat with the window open, FWIW. At least not over the bad throwout bearing.

chromius
04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Let's hope it's gone. I love problems that fix themselves:)

Lee in Ottawa
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
why not go see Kerry Burk in buckingham, probably your best bet, knows e30's like the back of his hands.

AWD_Guy
11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
why not go see Kerry Burk in buckingham, probably your best bet, knows e30's like the back of his hands.

hmmm...i need a good e30 mechanic on my side...

Could you give me his details? He's right across the river for me, so not far at all, a short ferry ride and im there!

jeffrie
11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
hmmm...i need a good e30 mechanic on my side...

Could you give me his details? He's right across the river for me, so not far at all, a short ferry ride and im there!

Great wrench & he knows it, problem with him is everyone goes to him keeping him way too busy, so often you need to leave your car their for days till it get's fixed.

Kerry's Shop.

http://yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec/Gatineau/Clinique-de-L-Auto-Importee/386314.html?adid=00610600