PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase an E36 lower front control arm?

Manimillion
04-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Is there anywhere intown that has a reasonable price?

Or, are there any online shops that I can order it from?

Soldo
04-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Ebay is probably your best bet for these.

Manimillion
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Are the ebay ones any good?

bmdbley'sBro
04-18-2008, 01:24 AM
^ probably just oem, worse case is chinese oem knockoff.

with the cdn dollar at almost parity check out some aluminum control arms with crazy balljoints type stuff?

bmp, bavauto, uuc ...etc

Manimillion
04-18-2008, 02:01 AM
^ probably just oem, worse case is chinese oem knockoff.

with the cdn dollar at almost parity check out some aluminum control arms with crazy balljoints type stuff?

bmp, bavauto, uuc ...etc

I don't need anything crazier then OEM, its just a daily driver.

Soldo
04-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Then EBAY dammit. I dunno why you doubt me!

Nascar318is
04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
I just got one from Karim@Corner73 in Montreal

The control arm is $169.99. The bushings are only sold in pairs but they are not too expensive. $37 for the pair.

Shipping to Gatineau would be $16. Taxes are extra.

dannyb
04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Theres Arek from 8LegsRacing located in Ottawa
e-mail: sales@8legsRacing.com
phone: 613.295.1329

Lee in Ottawa
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
crazy 8legs is a BMW specific shop and i've never even heard of them

everlast
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
They used to be HH Tuning and Performance, a long time sponsor of the local club.

Nascar318is
04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
crazy 8legs is a BMW specific shop and i've never even heard of them

Ditto. And Ottawa having so many BMW shops:rolleyes: you think we would have heard of them..

Wingking
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Mani-

Bavaria Auto has free shipping when you order over $150-

just have it shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg

...it's your call if you want to claim it or not...which I didn't...nobody really asks about the random carparts loose in the trunk...

everlast
04-28-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.rockauto.com is a US site that ships to canada with duty INCLUDED. $81.82 USD shipped to canada, duty included.

You can also check autopartsway.ca and autopartsonlinecanada.ca. However, they seem to only have lemforder for sale (which is oem) for $180.

chromius
04-29-2008, 08:29 AM
^^^Never heard of Rockauto before, but their pricing seems to be pretty good on some stuff I just checked out quickly.

everlast
04-29-2008, 11:17 AM
And they have a nafta compatible delivery service with fedex so they can calc and charge duty before they ship, so no brokerage fees, i should mention. My father-in-law got bilsteins for his Jeep for $41 each, less than half of anywhere else.

Philboski
04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I have been looking at rockauto.com for some stuff for my late father's wagon. Their prices are excellent. $39 each for OEM struts for my girlfriend's Sentra.

chromius
04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I wish they had Bilstein struts that cheap for the e39:(

ecuconnection
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
very good pirces!

ecuconnection
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
prices*

everlast
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I wish they had Bilstein struts that cheap for the e39:(

Since they carry Billies, you should call and see if they can get them!

chromius
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
yeah that's true. I'm probably gonna buy next month. I'm pretty sure I've decided to go with the bilsteins. I was pretty set on the Koni FSD's, but I'm thinking the benefit might not outweigh the cost. I heard a couple of people say they are too soft, and that's the last thing I want. The billies are $300 cheaper at most places, and at least I know what I'm getting, since I was pretty happy with them on the e30.

Philboski
04-30-2008, 10:39 AM
The concerns about them lifting the nose don't bother you? BavAuto told me flat out that they would.

That said, I wish that I had gone with the HDs, just for that little extra stiffness.

chromius
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
The concerns about them lifting the nose don't bother you? BavAuto told me flat out that they would.

That said, I wish that I had gone with the HDs, just for that little extra stiffness.

It does kinda concern me...that's why I'm not entirely decided. I've heard some say that it didn't change the height, and others say that it did. One thing I did notice is that the newer Bilstein HD's come with a pre-installed spring perch, where as some older ones had to reuse the factory perch. I'm wondering if the new ones have fixed the problem of raising the ride hight...

It's such a tough decision...

Philboski
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
It was for me too. I am happy witht he stokers, don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling I would have enjoyed the HDs that much more.

BTW, RockAuto.com has Cardone Remanufactured wiper motors for $139. Best price I've seen.

Nascar318is
04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
It was for me too. I am happy witht he stokers, don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling I would have enjoyed the HDs that much more.

BTW, RockAuto.com has Cardone Remanufactured wiper motors for $139. Best price I've seen.

Crappy part is the shipping.. $20.89 for the part and $22.80 for shipping.. $43.69 lol Ummmm not so much

Philboski
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Crappy part is the shipping.. $20.89 for the part and $22.80 for shipping.. $43.69 lol Ummmm not so much

Yes, but that's with duty, taxes and everything. You won't get hit with the UPS Brown tax of $50 on your order.

chromius
04-30-2008, 01:03 PM

Just heard back about the new versions of the Bilstein HD's. Looks like the new ones fix the problem...*th-up*

"Adam,
Thank you for your inquiry.

The new versions come with the spring perch, and they donít raise sport package cars. They are also a mono tube design where the previous version was a twin tube. "

everlast
04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Remember, you pay shipping everywhere. When there is free shipping, they've worked it into the price. At a local shop, *someone* paid to get it shipped there. Granted, they get better rates, but at the expense of a middle man. I'd rather see it up front and get the best price possible, personally.

Jamil20
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Remember, you pay shipping everywhere. When there is free shipping, they've worked it into the price. At a local shop, *someone* paid to get it shipped there. Granted, they get better rates, but at the expense of a middle man. I'd rather see it up front and get the best price possible, personally.

Or there's ebay. $0.99 for the item and $60 shipping. *drink*

Philboski
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Just heard back about the new versions of the Bilstein HD's. Looks like the new ones fix the problem...*th-up*

"Adam,
Thank you for your inquiry.

The new versions come with the spring perch, and they don’t raise sport package cars. They are also a mono tube design where the previous version was a twin tube. "

Damn.

Damn, damn, damn. *mumble*

Let me know how they feel relative to the old stockers.

chromius
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Damn.

Will do. Hopefully I'll be able to get them next month, then I gotta find the time to install them. From the sounds of it, doing the rears is a big PITA.

Nascar318is
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Will do. Hopefully I'll be able to get them next month, then I gotta find the time to install them. From the sounds of it, doing the rears is a big PITA.

My E36 was a pita to change ask Jeff.. I had to undo the bolts from the diff for the arms to hang down(and you have to buy new ones) and get the shock out.. Sucks the big one...

chromius
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
My E36 was a pita to change ask Jeff.. I had to undo the bolts from the diff for the arms to hang down(and you have to buy new ones) and get the shock out.. Sucks the big one...

Nothing on the diff has to come off on mine, but the whole rear parcel shelf, the c-pillar panels, and the grills and speakers all have to come out to access the top mounts, as well as the wheel liners and gas filler neck.

The e30 was the easiest to change. Top mount gets undone from the trunk, and then one lower bolt and the whole thing slides out.

everlast
05-01-2008, 03:20 AM
e30 ftw. why the f you got an e39 it's beyond me.

:D

chromius
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
e30 ftw. why the f you got an e39 it's beyond me.

Because the e39 is like a hot chick...She bitches and complains, she's really high maintenence, she's hard to work on, but man does she give good head.*rockout*:)

Philboski
05-01-2008, 08:38 AM

FWIW, Todd says his best time on the rears is 1 hour. When he did mine, he said that it was a huge pain because they were the originals, so the bolts were all very tough to loosen. It took him three hours. He only charged me for two because he quoted 1-1.5.

chromius
05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
FWIW, Todd says his best time on the rears is 1 hour. When he did mine, he said that it was a huge pain because they were the originals, so the bolts were all very tough to loosen. It took him three hours. He only charged me for two because he quoted 1-1.5.

damn...well that doesn't seem too hard then. The guys on bimmerforums made it sound as if it's a full day job. I guess I'll know once I start pulling it apart.

Philboski
05-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Keep in mind, he's done it a bunch of times, and has air tools, etc, etc.

If you don't have air tools, I have an electric impact gun you can borrow if you need it.

chromius
05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
No worries there, I've got a full set of air tools. Definitely makes life easier, especially for suspension work.

bmdbley'sBro
05-01-2008, 03:00 PM
No worries there, I've got a full set of air tools. Definitely makes life easier, especially for suspension work.

niiice.

everlast
05-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Ya, but like all hot chicks, she'll eventually get fat, preggie or the herpes. That's when you need a woman that can raise your heart rate with a little freedom, like an e30.

:D

chromius
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Well I guess I'll just have to get an e30 as my mistress. Nothing saying you can't have two women going on at the same time. :)

ecuconnection
05-02-2008, 09:17 AM
HBO's Big LOve lol

everlast
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Good idea!! Just keep in mind they do get jealous. I'm not even kidding! When I bring home a new part for the e30 in the e34, something always goes wrong in the e34, usually in proportion to the value of the item for the e30. :D

chromius
05-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Damn.

I haven't done the rears yet, but the fronts are in, and it's F***ing perfect! Ride height is exactly the same. I measured before and after, and there was no change.

The ride is absolutely fantastic...beleive it or not the ride is actually smoother over cracks in the road and imperfections, but the steering is more responsive, there is less body roll, and it bites into corners amazingly well. These are the exact ride I was looking for.

It's hard to explain, but the car just feels so much more nimble. If you decide to replace the stockers, I would definitely recommend the HD's.

And hell, I still haven't even done the rears yet! Can't wait...gonna start those tonight I think.

Philboski
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I haven't done the rears yet, but the fronts are in, and it's F***ing perfect! Ride height is exactly the same. I measured before and after, and there was no change.

The ride is absolutely fantastic...beleive it or not the ride is actually smoother over cracks in the road and imperfections, but the steering is more responsive, there is less body roll, and it bites into corners amazingly well. These are the exact ride I was looking for.

It's hard to explain, but the car just feels so much more nimble. If you decide to replace the stockers, I would definitely recommend the HD's.

And hell, I still haven't even done the rears yet! Can't wait...gonna start those tonight I think.

Allow me to reiterate: Damn, damn, damn.

My original plan was the HDs with the stock springs and M5 bars. Just get it a bit tighter.

But, mine won't be getting shocks anytime soon. I'm taking it in to a shop soon to get a once-over. Too many noises, judders and idiosyncrasies. Hopefully this won't hurt too bad.

I have been having E46 thoughts lately......

chromius
05-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Allow me to reiterate: Damn, damn, damn.

My original plan was the HDs with the stock springs and M5 bars. Just get it a bit tighter.

But, mine won't be getting shocks anytime soon. I'm taking it in to a shop soon to get a once-over. Too many noises, judders and idiosyncrasies. Hopefully this won't hurt too bad.

I have been having E46 thoughts lately......

Yeah, the M5 sway bars are in the plan also, but not right away. Once I get the rear HD's in, that will be it for suspension work for a while...it's "just right" with this setup. Nice and tight, responsive, but a perfect ride for a daily driver.

Just don't stop loving the e39!:D

I can understand where you're coming from though...it can be quite disapointing to have all kinds of things go wrong. Luckily I'm finally at a point where nothing is broken or needs replacing (knock on wood), and I can get to doing actual upgrades.

If you want a hand trying to track down the noises and any problems let me know, I'd be glad to lend an ear:)

Philboski
05-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the kind offer. Part of my E46 thoughts stem from some new rust I found on the car. One of these days, I'll get that all taken care of.

I'll be putting the summers on this weekend, so I'll have her up on stands, and I'll check a few things out, running and resting. And I still have the glorious P1174 and 75 codes.

I never seem to have a car that is devoid of all problems. I never buy new, but hey, that can't be it, can it? :D