PDA

View Full Version : INsurance Advice

JunzieB
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of shopping around for my own insurance as i am currently on my dad's.

My question is, what's the big difference between full coverage and liability?:confused: Pros/Cons besides $$$

What type of insurance do you guys go with?
I currently have full coverage but that is mainly because when i purchased the car i had a loan out on it so I had to have full coverage.

Any advice would be appreciated.*th-up*

jstalin
04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of shopping around for my own insurance as i am currently on my dad's.

My question is, what's the big difference between full coverage and liability?:confused: Pros/Cons besides $$$

Full coverage includes collision, which basically means you are covered no matter whose at fault. Liability is the basic requirement needed to drive legally in Ontario, this covers basically things that are outside of your control (natural disasters, someone hits you, etc).

Collision is usually up to half of the premium, so going with basic liability will save you lots of money but if it's a late model ride you may want to reconsider.

What type of insurance do you guys go with?
I currently have full coverage but that is mainly because when i purchased the car i had a loan out on it so I had to have full coverage.

I have full coverage. Comprehensive is okay for a winter beater, but if it's a daily driver or a car you care about, I'd suggest going with everything.

For young people, it's best to go the direct route rather than thru your parents brokerage. This way you'll save $$$ as well as you will be on a month-to-month policy that you can cancel anytime with no penalty. This is important. Most other companies you've got to stay a full year before changing.

Try Chieftain and Belair. You won't find cheaper quotes anywhere else for full coverage.

europrince
04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
full coverage covers your damage in an at fault accident as well as any comprehensive claims (theft, vandalism, etc), whereas liability only insures you for any damage, body harm cause to others in an at fault accident. no comprehensive coverage included. with an old car that isn't worth much, it isn't really worth paying for full coverage if you can afford to write it off in an at fault accident.

El Gato Liso
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
belaire is shit

they cannot fight for you if their lives depended on it.
thats the price i pay for going with cheap insurance...

than agian

belaire is great. easy to deal with, cheap.

i got liability only, because that all i can afford.

Boots R
04-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I have full coverage.

My parents insurance company wouldn't cover me when I bought my own car, due to my age, so I shopped around. The cheapest place I personally found was Hub International, an insurance broker.

Try giving them a call when you're calling around for quotes. They were easy to deal with, and their head office is in Brampton too. (near the 4 corners, by the bus terminal)

JunzieB
04-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you guys, your advice is greatly appreciated.*th-up*

I've heard a few good things about HUB International from a few people, I'll definitley have to give them a call.

Oswane,