PDA

View Full Version : Need your advice regarding winter beaters, please help

JNSchnitzer
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey guys,

I know it's early but I'm thinking that I want to buy a winter beater for next year. I'll probably buy the car in the fall days, however I want to do the proper research early as I've never done this before. I was thinking to buy some old $1500 civic hatch so that I can fit it in the driveway behind my bro's car. Can someone help me answer the following:

- Do you guys buy a new winter beater every year or do you keep the same one? If you keep the same one, do you know where I could dump the car during the summer season?

- How does the insurance work? I would like to keep fire/theft on my bimmer.

- Do you just swap plates for the winter and swap them back for the summer?

- Do you think that it's worth it or is it too much hassle?

- Anything else I need to think of :confused:?

Thanks in advance *th-up*

Joe

Boots R
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
- How does the insurance work? I would like to keep fire/theft on my bimmer.

Call up your insurance company and tell them you're storing the BMW, and insuring the new vehicle. They'll put fire/theft on it.

- Do you just swap plates for the winter and swap them back for the summer?

Yes. Just take the plate portion from your BMW ownership, and bring the ownership of the winter beater to the MTO. they'll transfer it on the spot. In the spring you can transfer it back.

Mikeee46coup
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd only store an investment vehicle (Ferrari, Vintage muscle car), I'd rather have the safety and crash protection of a BMW in the winter, then to risk being injured in a Civic. Also winter beaters may end up costing more to keep (breakdowns) A good day of detailing can bring a BMW back to great condition after a long harsh winter.

just my 2 cents.

Have a look at my sig, pic taken last spring, the car's a 2000 323ci w/200,000km, driven every winter since new.

1BADRIDE
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
The plate swapping is NOT worth the hassle.

Spend the $32.10 for a new set of plates.

If you take your BMW off the road and REALLY REALLY want the pro-rated $6.16 per month remaining on your sticker, take the plate portion back and get your refund.

Try to buy a $3000 Honda or Toyota that passes a DRY leakdown test with not just good, but EXCELLENT results (i.e. on or very very close to OE spec). You will likely get 2-5 years out of it.

Never remove Fire/Theft from your car even if it is stored in an insured place. For the amount it will cost you, it's very inexpensive compared to losing the car.

In terms of storage, there are LOTS of places you can store the vehicle. You can even look around for people renting out their underground parking for $20 to $100 per month.

Better yet, take all that money and time, get your car thoroughly rust proofed, a high quality set of ice/snows on steel rims, and drive your car all year!

Good luck!

craz azn
03-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Better yet, take all that money and time, get your car thoroughly rust proofed, a high quality set of ice/snows on steel rims, and drive your car all year!

+1.

JNSchnitzer
03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
The only reason why I wanted to store my car is because I don't want to have issues with the Crankcase and sludge. I'm not worried so much about rust or the exterior because that can be prevented with proper maintenance. Witht that being said, I'm not excited about the hassle of having a winter beater. Anyways thanks for the input so far guys, I'll have to give this thing some more thought over the summer.

Boots R
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
The only reason why I wanted to store my car is because I don't want to have issues with the Crankcase and sludge. I'm not worried so much about rust or the exterior because that can be prevented with proper maintenance. Witht that being said, I'm not excited about the hassle of having a winter beater. Anyways thanks for the input so far guys, I'll have to give this thing some more thought over the summer.

It's okay to store something that has sentimental value to you. Don't listen to them.

europrince
03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd only store an investment vehicle (Ferrari, Vintage muscle car), I'd rather have the safety and crash protection of a BMW in the winter, then to risk being injured in a Civic. Also winter beaters may end up costing more to keep (breakdowns) A good day of detailing can bring a BMW back to great condition after a long harsh winter.

*th-up**th-up*

JNSchnitzer
03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
It's okay to store something that has sentimental value to you. Don't listen to them.

For sure, I know that my car is worth storing. The dude that owned it before me never drove it in winter. I guess that I'll have to think this through this summer :)

europrince
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
For sure, I know that my car is worth storing. The dude that owned it before me never drove it in winter. I guess that I'll have to think this through this summer :)

There are so many 3 series on the road that unless its something like a '94 eurospec, they'll never have collector value. You have a great car. I'm sure you take care of it well. Drive it. Use it. Depreciate it. With TLC, you're car will last a long time, winter driving included.

JNSchnitzer
03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
There are so many 3 series on the road that unless its something like a '94 eurospec, they'll never have collector value. You have a great car. I'm sure you take care of it well. Drive it. Use it. Depreciate it. With TLC, you're car will last a long time, winter driving included.

agreed ... the only reason why I would do it is to prevent issues caused by cold weather (i.e. sludge) and not for collector valuation ... with that said, it's would suck to do donuts in a rusty Civic :)

T.Dot_E30
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
more on this issue of sludge??

are you talkin about condensation in the crankcase not burning off bcus of short distance drives?
or are you talking about ppl who don't change their oil and sludge builds up?

Usually that happens to people who don't maintain their cars properly, if you are worried, change your oil more frequently.

either way, I wouldn't say that is a good enough reason to justify storing a car and driving a beater during the worst season of the year.

JNSchnitzer
03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
more on this issue of sludge??

are you talkin about condensation in the crankcase not burning off bcus of short distance drives?
or are you talking about ppl who don't change their oil and sludge builds up?

Usually that happens to people who don't maintain their cars properly, if you are worried, change your oil more frequently.

either way, I wouldn't say that is a good enough reason to justify storing a car and driving a beater during the worst season of the year.

I'm talking about the crankcase. I change my oil every 4500-5000kms. Point taken though *th-up*

propr'one
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
solution to all problems:

-Get a "good" beater
-Maintain your beater (a bit)
-buy snow tires, keep it safe (relatively)

and store your other car. I save 1000$ a year from insurance alone storing the bmw (leaving it on fire/theft, civic=cheaper insurance). 17 inch rims + 17' snow tires + rustproofing = at least 1500$. civic = 400$, 14 inch winters = 160$.

And, this morning was the FIRST time in 6 months the civic wouldn't start. And my civic is way worse than a beater should be.

europrince
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
solution to all problems:

-Get a "good" beater
-Maintain your beater (a bit)
-buy snow tires, keep it safe (relatively)

and store your other car. I save 1000$ a year from insurance alone storing the bmw (leaving it on fire/theft, civic=cheaper insurance). 17 inch rims + 17' snow tires + rustproofing = at least 1500$. civic = 400$, 14 inch winters = 160$.

And, this morning was the FIRST time in 6 months the civic wouldn't start. And my civic is way worse than a beater should be.

what's the cost of storage if you don't have a house with a driveway?

bimmerjoe
04-01-2008, 01:41 AM
from my experience from driving winter beaters for the last 4 years....

during the summer till next winter i keep my eyes open for a good deal on a beater. buy it.

i swap the plates from bimmer to beater becasue its only a $10 fee. and if you get new plates you have to buy the plates 32 bucks plus a sticker 75 bucks..

i insure the beater under liability only and keep the bimmer with fire and theft/
when winter is done you sell the car for more then you bought it, hense buying a good deal beater... ive bought and sold beaters every year and made at least 500-$1000.. and the benifit of a beater is you dont have to put good gas and usually a beater in a 4banger good on gas, and insurance is so much cheaper, and you dont give a **** if you hit anything.. all that money you saved in the winter you spend on your bimmer like me or you just save it your choice..

my 2 cents*th-up*

JNSchnitzer
04-01-2008, 02:14 AM
^^^ for sure however I'm probably too lazy to keep buying and selling beaters especially when it's getting harder and harder to find hook ups for certification. Anyways my only problem with buying one decent beater and using for more than one season was that I would have no place to store the junker during summers ... but after a bit of surfing, I found out that there are plenty of outdoor storage places that charge $25/month which makes this whole thing worth it.

Thanks for the advice bimmerjoe

lvan
04-01-2008, 02:26 AM
If you like, I can save you my winter beater. It has tons of life left in it. I put it in sale section. Dirty cheap on insurance.

JNSchnitzer
04-01-2008, 02:32 AM
If you like, I can save you my winter beater. It has tons of life left in it. I put it in sale section. Dirty cheap on insurance.

I can't find it in the for sale section :confused: what is it anyways? probably too early for me to decide anyways

lvan
04-01-2008, 02:53 AM
I sent you PM. I am not in a rush to sell it. I may trade the whole car for some nice rims for 330Ci. If I dont sell her , I may keep it and drive my car with stock rims.

Nascar318is
04-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Another problem that I found with a winter beater is that if you don't drive it in the summer and let it sit, you will have tons of repairs to do to it.

I had a Ford Contour as a beater last year, in the summer I let it sit, ran it a few times.
Come to put it on the road, alternator seized(brand new 5 months old) tranny lines rotted out, tons of rust on the car, brakes only 2000KM on them needed to be changed again(from sitting). If you can park it in a controlled environment it's alright. So after I was quoted $300 to fix the tranny lines and another $200 or so for brakes.. I traded it in on a new car.

Here is what I did in my case.

Switch the plates from the bmw to the ford-Free
Putting parking plates on the BMW-$8
Taking insurance off the BMW-Saved me $300+ for 6 months
Insurance on the ford around $150-200 for 6 months
No need to buy winter rims and tires for the BMW(saved around $600-700)
Ford already had new tires for the winter.

So yeah in the end you do save money. it's worth it in my opinion.

JNSchnitzer
04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Another problem that I found with a winter beater is that if you don't drive it in the summer and let it sit, you will have tons of repairs to do to it.

I had a Ford Contour as a beater last year, in the summer I let it sit, ran it a few times.
Come to put it on the road, alternator seized(brand new 5 months old) tranny lines rotted out, tons of rust on the car, brakes only 2000KM on them needed to be changed again(from sitting). If you can park it in a controlled environment it's alright. So after I was quoted $300 to fix the tranny lines and another $200 or so for brakes.. I traded it in on a new car.

Here is what I did in my case.

Switch the plates from the bmw to the ford-Free
Putting parking plates on the BMW-$8
Taking insurance off the BMW-Saved me $300+ for 6 months
Insurance on the ford around $150-200 for 6 months
No need to buy winter rims and tires for the BMW(saved around $600-700)
Ford already had new tires for the winter.

So yeah in the end you do save money. it's worth it in my opinion.

Yeah I'm starting to think so. I'll probably need to run the beater everyonce in a while to avoid problems. I'm gonna try this thing out next year and we'll see how it goes.

BigD
04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm with everyone who warns you about the repair costs. If you're not handy and are not willing to get dirty, don't bother. Beaters break. If you don't do your own work, you could easily end up spending more on repairs than it would cost to keep your BMW mint every year.

For instance with my integra, it needed rear calipers and a starter. When I did safety, the calipers were discovered, shop offered 750 to replace them. Cost me 30 bucks for the pair. I don't want to know how much they'd charge to replace the starter. I paid 100 for a rebuilt. Busted brake line - 40 for a new line. Time to do timing belt - 50 for a new belt. You see how this could have easily already been costing me thousands of dollars, but instead cost me a few hundred bucks?

JNSchnitzer
04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm with everyone who warns you about the repair costs. If you're not handy and are not willing to get dirty, don't bother. Beaters break. If you don't do your own work, you could easily end up spending more on repairs than it would cost to keep your BMW mint every year.

For instance with my integra, it needed rear calipers and a starter. When I did safety, the calipers were discovered, shop offered 750 to replace them. Cost me 30 bucks for the pair. I don't want to know how much they'd charge to replace the starter. I paid 100 for a rebuilt. Busted brake line - 40 for a new line. Time to do timing belt - 50 for a new belt. You see how this could have easily already been costing me thousands of dollars, but instead cost me a few hundred bucks?

Yea, I try to do most of the work myself (or with my brother) also, I work 2 minutes away from home so I should be fine.

propr'one
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
what's the cost of storage if you don't have a house with a driveway?

i dont have a house with a driveway. My house has room for 1 car, and my parents car is there. I do however have several aunts, uncles and grandparents who do not drive anymore, and have heated/secure garages. I leave my car at one of their places. It also gives me an excuse to visit at least twice a year.

so to answer your question, zero.

bimmer1989
04-01-2008, 07:42 PM
a beater is a good idea but don't beat it to bad and try to sell it after you use it for more than what you paid for it. You can put that money towards the BMW or save it.Like this you will also have a new car every year rather than the same car as last time and because you do most of the work yourself it shouldn't get to costly if the car needs some repairs.