PDA

View Full Version : Want to Import an 04 M3 from USA.. Please help!

erikIS
03-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Heya guys,

I have been reading about all kinds of requirements regarding importing a BMW and BMW Canada, does this apply to older used ones aswell??

I'm aware of the Duty, RIV fees, A\C, DRL GST-PST, but do I seriously NEED to get a new CLUSTER? WTF for??? There are tons of vehicles from the USA that operate with a MPH cluster, with KM's underneath...

Whats the real scoop here guys?

Meegis
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
The real scoop is that BMW decided to make as much money as possible by putting up these oxy-moron rules that undermine the regulatory requirements.

They also play games with time limits, so when you import, beware of days limitation.

Boots R
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
what?

Why would you need a new cluster. Who said that?

erikIS
03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
So whats your suggestion guys? is it worth the hassle, or Poney up the extra whatever and buy an CDN car??

savings??? Can anyone elaborate?

King Luis
03-30-2008, 01:33 PM
i forget seeing it, might be on m3forum.net, but the guy showed that from the canadian car and the us car he was looking at, there was only a $500 difference once the us car was brought over to canada.

Mikey83
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
The real scoop is that BMW decided to make as much money as possible by putting up these oxy-moron rules that undermine the regulatory requirements.

They also play games with time limits, so when you import, beware of days limitation.

Pretty much whats he said.

I imported mine before all the b/s started last year. And yes I did save about 5-8K when all said and done.

Gamite
03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
You don't need a new cluster,US BMW clusters have both KM/H and MPH

Everything you need to know should be in this thread

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100356

AMG_POWER
03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
You dont need the new cluster... My friend brought 645 he didnt need a cluster.... I'm looking @ 06 m5s all of them US cars and every1 of them does have US dual reading Cluster.

Meegis
03-30-2008, 08:50 PM
They all have dual readings, but didnt BMW Instigate the rule of having to swap clusters anyhow? They basically said they need to reprogram the car and blah blah blah by swapping the clusters they are easier to read and so on and so forth

Another cash grab for them...

freewheel
03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Need for cluster change depends on the specific model.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI 00 80 07 dated November 2007.

SUBJECT
Vehicle conversion – USA to Canada

MODEL
BMW and MINI models

SITUATION

BMW and MINI vehicles are built to operate correctly and to meet safety requirements in their respective markets. In Canada some of these important requirements that differentiate USA to Canadian cars are related to Daytime Running Lights (DRL), different instrumentation, hardware and software components.

The high sophistication of components involves a large amount of interactions and interdependencies between the fitted control units of a vehicle. This highlights the importance of carrying out a proper USA-Canada conversion as recommended by BMW AG, which not only ensures compliance of the systems, but also ensures the correct operation and interaction of all control units.

While some features can be modified by means of software which might appear to fulfill Canadian compliance and technical requirements for a correctly functioning vehicle, they do not. This type of modification is not suitable for correct functioning of the Daytime Running Lights and therefore cannot ensure compliance.

BMW Group does not support hard-wiring of Daytime Running Lights due to the complexity of the vehicle electronics.

On certain USA vehicles, depending on model, production date and specification, it is possible to have the Daytime Running Lights turned on by means of:

• The Personal Profile feature which allows the driver to switch the DRL function on and off from within the car using either the Controller (i-Drive) or Instrument Cluster functions. Turning on the DRL via the Controller or Instrument Cluster does NOT constitute
compliance.

• The Car Key Memory (CKM) functions. This feature was designed for USA vehicles only. Therefore operation and illumination brightness varies depending on the production date of the vehicle or software level of the relevant module. To ensure correct operation to Canadian specification, CKM must NOT be used as an alternative to performing the correct USA – Canada conversion.

Depending on the model, the vehicle technology can be divided into two categories:
• Vehicles with an I-Level: E60/E61, E63/E64, E65/E66, E70, E90/E91/E92/E93, R56
• Vehicles without an I-Level: E46, E53, E83, E85/86, R50/R52/R53
Vehicles with an I-Level (Software Integration Level)
Situation for E60/E61, E63/E64, E65/E66, E70, E90/E91/E92/E93, R56 models

These models use Integration Software technology, usually referred to as an I-Level, which basically means all control modules fitted to a car have to be compatible with each other in order to function correctly – they have to be at the correct I-Level.

Canadian specification vehicles are built with km/h Instrument Cluster, which is written into the Vehicle Order, which is the “fingerprint” of the car, and this determines how all control units fitted to a vehicle interact. Therefore, for a car to be correctly converted for use in Canada it should have a km/h Instrument Cluster fitted and the relevant Vehicle Order modification carried out using the BMW Diagnostic and Programming equipment within the retailer workshop.

Using this correct process ensures the Daytime Driving Lights function as Canadian specification requires, and any future programming updates can be carried out without problems. If the correct process is not followed this invariably results in customer inconvenience, non-warrantable costs and potentially a non-compliant vehicle.

Another benefit from using the correct procedure for converting cars from USA to Canada is that technical support will be provided to assist with the conversion.

Note: Technical support may not be provided for programming, coding or diagnosis issues related to a vehicle not converted using the recommended procedure.

When carrying out the USA to Canada conversion using the BMW Diagnostic and Programming equipment the technician is instructed to replace the Instrument Cluster (Kombi) and on E60/61/63/64 models the Heater Control Module (IHKA), before the conversion can be carried out.

This is due to the I-Level needing the correct control module for operation within the vehicle electronics network and therefore cannot be worked around without replacing the specific part. Note: The USA R56 models only have a MPH display, km/h marking are required, so the Instrument Cluster (speedometer) should be replaced with the Canadian km/h version.

Vehicles without an I-Level (Software Integration Level)
Situation for BMW E46, E53, E83, E85/E86, R50/R52/R53
For vehicles without an Integration Level, the control modules infrastructure does not have the same inter-dependencies based on Software and Hardware. Therefore, the Instrument Cluster does not need to be replaced, except for the R50/R52/R53 – see note.

The Progman procedure must be followed to ensure the Canadian specific options are compliant and included in the Vehicle Order or Central Encoding Key (ZCS).
Note: R50/R52/R53 models require a replacement Instrument Cluster and Rev Counter due to the location of several warning lights causing incorrect illumination or not lighting at all, such as the Fasten Seatbelt light.

USA to Canada conversion (status as of 11/2007):

Models Parts required Tech Dept assist Other work required
E46 No No – Progman OK CKM for other settings
E53 No No – Progman OK CKM for other settings
E60/E61,Kombi No - Progman OK i-Drive for other settings
E63/E64 and IHKAN
E65/E66 Kombi No – Progman OK i-Drive for other settings
E70 Kombi Yes – modified VO i-Drive for other settings
E83 No Yes – modified VO CKM for other settings
E85/E86 No Yes – modified VO CKM for other settings
E90/E91/E92/E93 Kombi No – Progman OK Kombi / i-Drive for other settings
R50/R52/R53 Kombi and Rev counter No – Progman OK CKM for other settings
R56* Kombi Yes – modified VO Kombi / i-Drive for other settings

*Note: The USA R56 models only have a MPH display, km/h marking are required, so the Instrument Cluster (speedometer) should be replaced with the Canadian km/h version.

Legend
Progman: Diagnostic and Programming software for SSS
CKM: Car Key Memory
VO: Vehicle Order
Other settings: Temperature display, Board Computer display, mileage display
Kombi: Instrument Cluster