PDA

View Full Version : I want to do oil change myself.. gravity vs. oil extractor

summit425
03-29-2008, 06:08 AM
I want to do oil change myself.. gravity vs. oil extractor

I really want to do oil change myself but I never done it before..

I know there are two ways..

1. Gravity oil change
2. using oil extractor..

method #1 seems very popular but I can't jack my car up high and since I live in condo I think method #2 will fit more..

have anyone used oil extractor?? if you do can you suggest me which to buy?

or should I just get it from Canadian tire?

PROJECT_E36
03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Princess auto had a good suction machine for cheap on sale like 2 mounths ago.

-Jakub

bmwm5lover
03-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I personally wouldn;t use the extractor, as I do not believe that you get any of the grime that collects on the bottom of the oilpan out the way you would with a regular oil change.

sirex
03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
well if u dont have a car jack, and or stands, how exactly do u plan on getting under neath in the first place?if u can get underneath, then once u open it, itll start spilling like a bitch, ull get dirty, roll out, make sure the pan is underneatth, then lower/straighten the car out and let it drain for a ]bit. when its donere jack the car and presto.

speedy oil changes are pretty quick aren't they?

summit425
03-29-2008, 10:49 AM
well if u dont have a car jack, and or stands, how exactly do u plan on getting under neath in the first place?if u can get underneath, then once u open it, itll start spilling like a bitch, ull get dirty, roll out, make sure the pan is underneatth, then lower/straighten the car out and let it drain for a ]bit. when its donere jack the car and presto.

speedy oil changes are pretty quick aren't they?

that's why I am thinking of just getting the oil extractor.

http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml

E36is
03-29-2008, 11:32 AM
IMO... i would leave it for the mechanics to do. why you ask? simple, because when they do the oil change (RMP) they also do an inspection of your suspension and balljoints. unless you have a hoist, you really cant do these types of inspections on the ground. think about it.. RMP has caught a failing tie rod, and also notified me that my control arm bushing will need to be changed, so i like that comfort.

T.Dot_E30
03-29-2008, 11:38 AM
IMO... i would leave it for the mechanics to do. why you ask? simple, because when they do the oil change (RMP) they also do an inspection of your suspension and balljoints. unless you have a hoist, you really cant do these types of inspections on the ground. think about it.. RMP has caught a failing tie rod, and also notified me that my control arm bushing will need to be changed, so i like that comfort.

and im sure they like turning an oil change into a bigger repair :D

propr'one
03-29-2008, 01:12 PM
buy car ramps (cost, 60$)
buy decent rachet set (80$)
drive the car onto the ramps, use the rachet set to do oilchange

comon guys. RMP and bimmersport are already busy as hell as it is. If you're a car enthusiast, learn how/get tools to do simple things yourself. Not only will it save you money, but then i wont have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment to get my car fixed at a decent shop this summer (when it breaks, which it definatly will)

Chris de la Cruz
03-29-2008, 01:17 PM
^^^ thats why you brought your car to me at jiffy crude right? :D :D

Quack
03-29-2008, 01:23 PM
^^^ no, because Ivan is a lazy mofo:D

craz azn
03-29-2008, 01:27 PM
and im sure they like turning an oil change into a bigger repair :D

LOL!

JUS_CRZN
03-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Make some ramp stands out of wood, they work much better. Less of an angle, they won't hit the front bumper.

slimjim
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Make some ramp stands out of wood, they work much better. Less of an angle, they won't hit the front bumper.

sounds promising

shimajer
03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
let RMP do it...

Oyster
03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
let RMP do it...

how much kickbacks are your getting to promote?*wave*

Axxe
03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I would never use an oil extractor to change the engine oil. Transmission / rear end oil yes, only if they don't have a drain plug, and I'd take the cover off and let the gunk come out without making a huge mess.

woofster
03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Why can't you jack your car up high? Is it a super low ceiling that's preventing you from achieving the appropriate clearance? Or did you mean that since it's a condo, you'd prefer not to have to jack it up at all?

JUS_CRZN
03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
I do all my oil changes myself, but I also take my car for regular checkups at a garage just in case I miss something. There is no substitute for a hoist to have a good look around the bottom of you car. There are many rubber bushings in a bmw that like to crack.

shimajer
03-30-2008, 01:25 PM
how much kickbacks are your getting to promote?*wave*

none. i just had my oil change done at rmp for $85 and replacing my bushings and rod for $145 (i supply the bushings), so i dont get any discount.. but they are a great shop.

so what are you trying to imply? it was only a recommendation. i live in downtown and it's a long drive for me, so there's a reason why i go there. they take care of your carss.

e46silver
03-30-2008, 02:28 PM
none. i just had my oil change done at rmp for $85 and replacing my bushings and rod for $145 (i supply the bushings), so i dont get any discount.. but they are a great shop.

so what are you trying to imply? it was only a recommendation. i live in downtown and it's a long drive for me, so there's a reason why i go there. they take care of your carss.
+1

RMP FTW! *th-up*