PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Red/Blue/Whatever Book Prices

dave328i
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to look up the book value of my car (the amount i would get from insurance if i wrote it off).

I'm paying way too much for insurance and I want to get some new quotes. So rather that putting that my car is worth 12000 when i would only get 6000 from insurance, I want to be able to just enter the book value into my insurance quote.

Does anyone have access to these book values and/or do you know how i can look them up for free.

Thanks

thumper
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
I have access to the canadian red book at work.
post up what kind of car you have.

Oyster
03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to look up the book value of my car (the amount i would get from insurance if i wrote it off).

I'm paying way too much for insurance and I want to get some new quotes. So rather that putting that my car is worth 12000 when i would only get 6000 from insurance, I want to be able to just enter the book value into my insurance quote.

Does anyone have access to these book values and/or do you know how i can look them up for free.

Thanks

toyota and chrysler website has a free black book access
red book can be found in Toronto library

europrince
03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
since when can you negotiate the book value of a car for an insurance quote?

jstalin
03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
^^ you can't

europrince
03-28-2008, 03:12 PM
^^ you can't

exactly. so, what's the point of this thread?

jstalin
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
btw, your postal code has much more impact on your insurance rates than the type of car you drive. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

europrince
03-28-2008, 03:16 PM
^ you're right, but not as much as your driving record

when I was shopping for my current car, I called my insurance company for quotes on various cars. there wasn't a large difference.

jstalin
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
^ you're right, but not as much as your driving record

when I was shopping for my current car, I called my insurance company for quotes on various cars. there wasn't a large difference.

to a certain degree yes. If you're comparing GTA postal codes the variation is relatively small, but outside of Toronto the difference is huge.

dave328i
03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
since when can you negotiate the book value of a car for an insurance quote?

you cant negotiate the book value.
but, on kanetix.com, when youre applying for a quote, for some reason it asks you for the value of your car.
maybe it's there in case you have an old hot rod thats appraised for a lot of money or something. i dont really know why it's there, but it is.

thumper: it's a 1997 328i, black on black leather, manual, 4dr, "business package" (i think), upgraded rims, ~175,000 km

thanks again for all your help guys