PDA

View Full Version : BMW Considers Forced Induction for Future M Cars.

Gamite
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/bmw-considering-cutting-the-cylinder-count-on-m-models/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/03/18-bmw-m3_450-op.jpg

Of all the things that have hampered performance over the last two decades, vehicle weight is at the top of the list. Automakers have responded by putting more power under the hood to make up for the extra pounds, and BMW is as guilty as the rest particularly with its M cars. The first (E30) M3 came packing a 2.3-liter four-pot and was able to put out an astonishing (at the time) 212 197 hp. When the E36 came along a few years later, the cylinder count increased by two and stayed that way through the E46 generation until today, where the new E92 M3 is motivated by a 4.0-liter V8 outputting more than double of the original, but also weighing considerably more.

So what's the next step? BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer is at least aware of this fact and mentioned to Auto Motor und Sport that he'd like to see the next batch of M cars lose a few cylinders, while simultaneously dropping the pounds. He points to the twin-turbocharged inline-six in the 135i, 335i and 535i as a good indication of what the future might hold, particularly in the case of the M-badged variants that would make more use of forced induction rather than upgraded displacement and higher cylinder counts (not that they could get much higher). We can only dream, but with emissions standards increasing across the globe, it's the next logical evolution of the performance breed.

static
03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
(sarcasm on) I Am Shocked!!! (sarcasm off)

i say next TU they should do to turbo engines is 1. sequential instead of twin; 2. variable CR; 3. Ion sensing (like on new M5) if they haven't already done that on their turbo models.

europrince
03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
with the success of the current breed of turbo 6 cylinders, i wouldn`t be surprised the least. emissions standards will be a huge issue over the next 5+ years.

EMPOWERD
03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I hope to God they don't.. nothing beats the feel of the instant throttle response in an N/A motor. BMW-///M went that extra mile to exaggerate it with their "sport" buttons altering throttle response. I'm not surprised though.. Once you're producing torque-less motors in excess of 120hp/litre in N/A form... where else do you go to improve performance?

Gamite
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Yea there's not much you can do when your competition is running away with FI. But I hope they maintain the track bred beasts with CSL versions.

Quack
03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Yea there's not much you can do when your competition is running away with FI. But I hope they maintain the track bred beasts with CSL versions.

competition running away with FI??? lets compare midsize sedans, both AMG C63 & Audi RS4 are NA, the only FI car in the current MB line-up is the 65 series, but BMW doesn't have anything to compare in that class. Audi has the V10 TT in europe, but most of their cars are also NA.

EDIT: I forgot about the B200 Turbo, but who gives a shit about that car:D

europrince
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM

hey, its a cute runabout for some city-living yuppy wannabe :D

Gamite
03-27-2008, 06:19 PM
competition running away with FI??? lets compare midsize sedans, both AMG C63 & Audi RS4 are NA, the only FI car in the current MB line-up is the 65 series, but BMW doesn't have anything to compare in that class. Audi has the V10 TT in europe, but most of their cars are also NA.

yea I guess you're right, was thinking like those 55 models.

AMG_POWER
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
next m5/m6 is gonna use 4.0 v8 tt with better internals and 560-585 bhp and some torque!!! I think its a good idea!

Gamite
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
next m5/m6 is gonna use 4.0 v8 tt with better internals and 560-585 bhp and some torque!!! I think its a good idea!

Doubt it. X6 is already 4.4L TT. why would they go smaller.

AMG_POWER
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Doubt it. X6 is already 4.4L TT. why would they go smaller.

oh yeah my bad i forgot!!! with more power more torque and BMW handling it would be a killer of a car!!! I recently test drove E60 m5 and now I really admire BMW handling!!*rockout*

Gamite
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I remember reading a rumor with a spyshot about a V10 TT.

AMG_POWER
03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I remember reading a rumor with a spyshot about a V10 TT.

yah it had an intercooler up front showing... thats probably it... I wonder when will it be out... 2011?

I bet it will break 8 seconds on the nuderburgring

ericdalinda
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
If the M badge has no choice but to go turbo....

I SAY GOOD DAY TO YOU BMW SIR!!!!!!!

hellllllooooooooooo A-M-G........................