PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Key function

e46it
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
my car is been in storage, for the winter months, now neither of my keys key-less entries works, dead battery? i know the ignition switch charges the key battery, but what happens if the keys are not used for few months?? can i change the batteries or i just have to drive around with them to get it recharged??

the keys are diamond shape btw.

summit425
03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
alright, diamond key recharges while the key is inserted to the car.

I don't know while running or just insert will recharge but for sure the key contains rechargable battery.

so drive your car few times and it will be okay I guess.

If not you need to change the battery but since you have a diamond key it's pain in the ass to open OE diamond key and replace the battery.

328i Cab
04-13-2008, 02:12 PM
If you have a cordless toothbrush, you can charge the keys in the charging base. I charge the one for my e39 there, I made a diamond key to replace the old, bulky worn key I had. Charged a dead remote overnight and now it works great. Otherwise you CAN replace the battery but it's a pain to reclose the case on the original keys. I can cut new casings and you swap the old components if necessary.

Cheers

e46it
04-13-2008, 03:32 PM
^thanks
i do have a brun cordless toothbrush, and will give it a try. do you place the plastic or the metal part of the key on the charging dock?

328i Cab
04-13-2008, 07:21 PM
^thanks
i do have a brun cordless toothbrush, and will give it a try. do you place the plastic or the metal part of the key on the charging dock?

I put the plastic part in it, it just seemed to hold it better, the remotes may have to be reprogrammed afterwards anyways (if they were completely flat).

See what happens.