PDA

View Full Version : Recall Clearance Letter for imported US vehicles

bimmerpwr
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know whether or not the recall clearance letter gets e-mailed directly to RIV from BMW Canada?? I just got off the phone with RIV and after I've faxed them over the recall clearance letter I got from the US, they're telling me that they're not releasing form #2 until they get an e-mail confirmation from BMW Canada verifying that i've paid the fee and only then will they release form #2. Has anyone else encountered this?? Is there any way around it?? If anyone is been through this, please let me know if there's anything I can do to avoid paying the $500 fee.

Thanks

Gamite
03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
You don't need a recall letter from the US, only from Canada. There's no way around it that I know of, we all get nailed for that $500 piece of paper.

bimmerpwr
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Did you need to have a BMW dealership inspect the car before they give you the recall letter?? I went to the dealership and asked for the letter, and they assured me that the only way to get it is to have them inspect the car, and for me to pay an additional $107 plus tax for their time.

Thanks

ScotcH
03-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Did you need to have a BMW dealership inspect the car before they give you the recall letter?? I went to the dealership and asked for the letter, and they assured me that the only way to get it is to have them inspect the car, and for me to pay an additional $107 plus tax for their time.

Thanks

Nope ... they run a report based on the VIN. That'll be $500 please, sucka!

Gamite
03-27-2008, 06:16 AM
I did have it at the dealer to do DRL's and bilingual stickers. I think BMW Canada wants you to do the DRL procedure before giving you the letter, i'm not 100% on this.

Mikey83
03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I would just get a lexus if I had to do it all over again. BMW Canada is really screwing people over when importing, Benz Canada ain't no better.
Other way around it is to just forge the letters, I know of 2 people that did.

bimmerpwr
03-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't think you can do that anymore, now RIV waits for e-mail confirmation directly from BMW Canada saying that the fee has been paid and therefore confirming that the letter is legit. I think the days of forging letters are over.

UltimateDriv
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
someone needs to sleep with a BWM Canada employee and hook everyone up

Mikey83
03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't think you can do that anymore, now RIV waits for e-mail confirmation directly from BMW Canada saying that the fee has been paid and therefore confirming that the letter is legit. I think the days of forging letters are over.

I dont think so, I know of some people that said they paid BMW already for the letter and it will be sent to them. RIV then sent them Form2 , and they never heard back from RIV as their cars are now on the road and plated. *th-up*