PDA

View Full Version : i need a key cut for a 05 M3, anywhere other then the dealer...

saleen01
03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
They want basically 200 for an extra key.........do I have any other options?

Thanks

jstalin
03-26-2008, 08:15 AM
you have an 05 m3 but don't want to pay $200?

saleen01
03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
LOL, yeah.....i just think 200 for a key is silly....

never paid more then a 2.00 to have a key cut in the past.....

Meegis
03-26-2008, 10:15 AM
A car key isnt a house key...

europrince
03-26-2008, 10:19 AM
read this
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061

saleen01
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
A car key isnt a house key...

thanks for the info...

Meegis
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
thanks for the info...

Always here to provide info for the masses *shiner*

saleen01
03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
so in the end, the answer is no...
i'll have to go to the dealer...

Mystikal
03-26-2008, 11:30 AM
There is a chip in the key. It's just not the physical cutting.

Jay

vadim321go
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
i think u shud know though, all the dealership will have set their own prices for services. so a key cutting can be 89$, 170$ or 200$ depending on the place u call. so i suggest call around the diff dealerships and see for urself

summit425
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
yo don't waste your money. Get a blank key (diamond shape un-cut) from ebay (everything is same as OE key) and get it cut @ pacific mall. That was what I did!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNCUT-BMW-3-5-7-SERIES-Z3-Z4-X3-X5-KEYLESS-REMOTE-KEY_W0QQitemZ180226609629QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33723Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cost me $100 in total.

$50 for the blank key + $50 laser cut.

After that easy to reprogram end of story!!

905-947-0299 here is the phone number of locksmith.

Make sure you go there on sunday otherwise you need to wait so long!!

On sunday usually takes about an hour.

I know this because I've been done this twice already!

......................and your welcome :)

re-programming the key is the easies DIY on BIMMER!!

ps: I just read a post someone posted and remote is also working this time!

no problem at all. Originally I had an ugly black key from 99 323ci. Always wanted to have a diamond shape key. My case is little bit tricky cuz you need to open up the key and change the transponder but since you already own and using a diamond key you just need to get it cut.

It also does charge your battery as OE. Basically there the difference between OE diamond key and ebay key is very minimal.

saleen01
03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
yo don't waste your money. Get a blank key (diamond shape un-cut) from ebay (everything is same as OE key) and get it cut @ pacific mall. That was what I did!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNCUT-BMW-3-5-7-SERIES-Z3-Z4-X3-X5-KEYLESS-REMOTE-KEY_W0QQitemZ180226609629QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33723Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cost me $100 in total.

$50 for the blank key + $50 laser cut.

After that easy to reprogram end of story!!

905-947-0299 here is the phone number of locksmith.

Make sure you go there on sunday otherwise you need to wait so long!!

On sunday usually takes about an hour.

I know this because I've been done this twice already!

......................and your welcome :)

Thank you, finally some good advice
couple questions....
am I going to the Pacific Mall to just cut the key?
and then calling the number to have the kep re-programmed?

summit425
03-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Thank you, finally some good advice
couple questions....
am I going to the Pacific Mall to just cut the key?
and then calling the number to have the kep re-programmed?

yes! you are just going there to cut the key. If you can find any place near then you may go there as well. The number that I gave you is a locksmith (laser cut-pacific mall).

"Re-programmed" after you have a cutted key then you can perform re-programming.

1. Insert key and turn on (not start the engine) and off then take out your key.

2. hold "open" button and while you are holding "open or unlock" button press "lock" button 3 times

3. then the door will be locked and unlocked then you are good to go.

if you have other key sets you can go back to step #2 and re-program that key as well.

If you had an old style key like me you might need some help but since you are the owner of diamond key you don't need to go thru battery replacement, transfering transponder shits.. lol

good luck and if you have any other question let me know.

If you can't do the reprogram come to downtown one day and I will help you.

It only takes 30 sec max. *th-up*

saleen01
03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Awesome, you've been a big help
I'll bring this thread back from the dead when the key arrives from ebay and I get it cut
thanks again.

salocin111
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that your car will not recognize the transponder in the E-bay key. That's the reason for the transponder "transplant", not whether you have a diamond shaped key or the old square ones. You still need an old key to salvage a transponder from.

I think every car is preprogrammed to accept a set number of transponder codes and the dealer can't change that programming. Only BMW head office has a record of the code numbers for your car and the ability to create transponders with those codes.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

woofster
03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Although I haven't done this on any BMW, I did it on my old Audi A4 (B5 gen). I bought a blank key for $10 on Ebay. Then bought a used switchblade remote key fob for $25 also on Ebay. Swapped out the old key blade with the new blank key blade, got it "cut/traced" at Pre-Lock Services http://www.pre-lock.com/ near Keele & Sheppard for $28.50. Re-programmed the remote in 2 minutes and that was it.

ericdalinda
03-26-2008, 07:22 PM
They want basically 200 for an extra key.........do I have any other options?

Thanks

Dude you have a 2005 M3 and you are going to buy a key off ebay which will take a couple of days go to pacific mall get the key cut... and then hope to god the transponder will work???

Spend the 200 getting a new key... and learn your lesson... you drive a 80 thousand dollar car obviously your going to get a nice key...

unless you want to go through ALLL that trouble

summit425
03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Dude you have a 2005 M3 and you are going to buy a key off ebay which will take a couple of days go to pacific mall get the key cut... and then hope to god the transponder will work???

Spend the 200 getting a new key... and learn your lesson... you drive a 80 thousand dollar car obviously your going to get a nice key...

unless you want to go through ALLL that trouble

what makes you think the key won't work??

I've been working 3 keys already and they all worked well.

Guess you never done this kind of work before and pretend you know something. DO NOT GIVE OUT WRONG INFO *thmbsdwn*

Meegis
03-26-2008, 07:27 PM
It seems you gave info on a 99 though... the 2005 (correct me if Im wrong) has an immobilizer... you cant just "reprogram" that. Sure you can use it to open doors and shit, but you wont be able to start the car.

Woofster: You did it on a B5, they do not have immobilizers.

summit425
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
It seems you gave info on a 99 though... the 2005 (correct me if Im wrong) has an immobilizer... you cant just "reprogram" that. Sure you can use it to open doors and shit, but you wont be able to start the car.

without a transponder you can't start the car regardless 99-06.

I think all canadian cars come with an immobilizer. At least it did on my car (production date was Sept, 1999.)

also even if ebay transponder doesn't work you can get a transponder from your spare key (without remote, valet key, grey key etc.)

the word "re-program" here means after you change the battery you need to reprogram your key otherwise your car can't use a remote function. (sure you can lock/unlock/start the engine manually just that you are not able to use a remote func.)

of course the most reliable and safe way is to get a key from a dealership.

Meegis
03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
without a transponder you can't start the car regardless 99-06.

I think all canadian cars come with an immobilizer. At least it did on my car (production date was Sept, 1999.)

also even if ebay transponder doesn't work you can get a transponder from your spare key (without remote, valet key, grey key etc.)

So essentially, hack apart keys you own and be left with one pile of parts, or just spend the $200 and have a new key.

I cant wait till someone wants to buy this M3 and wonders why the **** the key looks like ass and can be guessed it came from eBay.

summit425
03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
So essentially, hack apart keys you own and be left with one pile of parts, or just spend the $200 and have a new key.

I cant wait till someone wants to buy this M3 and wonders why the **** the key looks like ass and can be guessed it came from eBay.

lol they look 99% identical. Only difference is nothing printed on the back of the key. nothing physical.

1st key. My original key (looks so ugly..)

2nd key. got from ebay and laser cut (perfectly working include remote func.)

3rd key. Original BMW Diamond key from 2004 330ci. (I got this one from ebay as well but it's originally from 04 330ci because I just need a chip inside) long story short I put my key #2 into a washer so I needed to replace my chips. So I put chips from key #3 into key #2.

I open 2nd and 3rd key. chips are the exactly same even the sticker and model number on the chips but only rubber part was different (doesn't really matter)

Personally I prefer 2nd (ebay key) over 3rd (OE key) becuase it's much cleaner and works exactly same.

does my ebay key looks like ass? I don't think so!

you got something to say?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6335/1205216467dsc04299cz8.jpg

EuroSpectacle
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
did you get the keychain from ebay?

salocin111
03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
To get an EXTRA key that the OP asked about, you have to hack apart another existing key to get the transponder or buy another cheaper key from the dealer.

Soooo... $50 ebay Key + $ 50 laser cut + $75 (estimated cost of valet key from dealer) + time and gas to go get new key cut + chance of fu%king something up while digging out transponder + chance that altered key does not recharge itself in the ignition + no guarantee that the key will start the car = Is it really worth it?

I hate paying $200 for a new key too but the economics of this alternative isn't attractive to me.

I think the original reason people started hacking their old keys apart wasn't to save money. They just didn't like the look of the old keys. If your car already uses the newer keys, I would just buy one from the dealer and be done with it.

summit425
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
did you get the keychain from ebay?

your sarcasm sucks *thmbsdwn*

I got it from BMW toronto when I first got my car.

Yes I dropped my key several times and now the condition of key chain sucks.

summit425
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
OP you just have 1 key with you?? or you got several keys but 1 remote key?

e46silver
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
yes! you are just going there to cut the key. If you can find any place near then you may go there as well. The number that I gave you is a locksmith (laser cut-pacific mall).

"Re-programmed" after you have a cutted key then you can perform re-programming.

1. Insert key and turn on (not start the engine) and off then take out your key.

2. hold "open" button and while you are holding "open or unlock" button press "lock" button 3 times

3. then the door will be locked and unlocked then you are good to go.

if you have other key sets you can go back to step #2 and re-program that key as well.

If you had an old style key like me you might need some help but since you are the owner of diamond key you don't need to go thru battery replacement, transfering transponder shits.. lol

good luck and if you have any other question let me know.

If you can't do the reprogram come to downtown one day and I will help you.

It only takes 30 sec max. *th-up*
That's some good infos.. Thanks! *th-up*

summit425
03-27-2008, 01:46 AM
That's some good infos.. Thanks! *th-up*

no problem Thomas *th-up*

saleen01
03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Lot of silly debate over getting a key cut, i'd hate to see threads about a serious topic like "which wiper fluid do you use?"...

i'm just going to get it done at the dealer, the 200.00 is not going to kill me...

someone delete this thread, its a waste of energy...

summit425
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Lot of silly debate over getting a key cut, i'd hate to see threads about a serious topic like "which wiper fluid do you use?"...

i'm just going to get it done at the dealer, the 200.00 is not going to kill me...

totally wasted my time on you. *thmbsdwn*

ericdalinda
03-27-2008, 09:27 PM

it almost seems like he knew all about this, and all the hassle it will and has caused.... hmmm.....

im keeeping my eye on you saleen...
end thread. and learn your lesson :rolleyes:

328i Cab
04-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I have the diamond key shells and am selling them for $50 cut (guaranteed to work if you have your car there). On top of that you need: used remote from key, found on ebay and a transponder chip from a valet or wallet key (wallet key transponders are a PAIN to get out but are possible if you have one you can sacrifice). SO if you have a valet or wallet key for your car, it seems like a good alternative but if you don't, you may be better biting the bullet and getting a new one from bmw. You will be guaranteed it will work and you don't have to do much running around, just call different places for the best price.

I can also do the cut keys if you want, if you bring a remote out of a used remote, i'll show you how to install it was well. I use one on my e39 (different key blade) and it works great, I used it to replace the older style key and it is much better on a keychain, less bulky).

I will be getting programming equipment to program NEW chips to bmws but probably not for a few months unless I get a lot of interest. I will be able to program keys over old spots (there are 10 total, bmw will only issue new keys in the series, I will be able to override those already used and lost).

Here is the link to my other post: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061&highlight=key%2A

Let me know if you want one cut or simply more info, i'm glad to help anyone.

Cheers