PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my part in Buffalo,,,and want to install them there

summit425
03-25-2008, 03:02 AM
I ordered few parts from Tischer BMW and I want to install them while I am there.

Because if I bring all the parts back to Toronto I have to pay taxes and duties.

I ordered Original BMW engine oils so want to have an oil change in the states...

Ordered both driver/passenger side window regulator and also want to install while I am there.

If I can't find a shop at least I want to do an oil change...

Have you done this before?? or should I just throw away all the boxes and tell them I bought it used. (but how can I prove to them??)

I am going to Buffalo this Thursday!!

djeurofest1
03-25-2008, 05:24 AM
what is the cost of all your items?

if you paid like say 400 bucks for the items, you will pay like 50 bucks in taxes... is it worth ur hassle?

if anything make a different invoice with a smaller amount or go with a friend, tell them he bought half and you bought the other half!
they don't tell you to pay taxes if its under 200 bucks a person spent

europrince
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I think after everything is said and done, you'll realize that whatever the cost savings, if anything, it wasn't worth buying across the border. That doesn't help you. Regardless....you should get everything installed there to maximize on your savings. I'm sure getting caught at the border and paying duty will wipe out your savings. If you're buying at a dealership there, just get them to install it.

Gamite
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I think after everything is said and done, you'll realize that whatever the cost savings, if anything, it wasn't worth buying across the border. That doesn't help you. Regardless....you should get everything installed there to maximize on your savings. I'm sure getting caught at the border and paying duty will wipe out your savings. If you're buying at a dealership there, just get them to install it.

Saved $500 getting my coilovers, and this was AFTER I paid duties at the border.

Sometimes, it's worth it.

europrince
03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
^ oh wow, impressive!

I imagine the savings will depend on the part. I recently replaced both my rear window regulators. I bought them used and got RMP to install them. I found no need to buy new or to shop in the states. Just my experience.

Gamite
03-25-2008, 10:43 AM
yea, buying used parts is another story entirely though. It really depends, you really have to shop around and factor in the duties when comparing.

I was looking for the Vorsteiner rear diffuser, and it's only about $60 more here in canada than buying from the states. In the end it's better off getting it here. Still shopping around for this one though.

328trackrat
03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I bought rims, tires, rotors, pads, lines fluid etc and had it all installed in the states and save I would estimate around $1000+. It is definitely worth it. Paid no duty or taxes!

mech9T8
03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Get the oil changed there (I'm sure you can find a place to do that).
And hide the window regulators somewhere...they aren't that big.

Redster
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Driveshaft, paid $580 and that included duty/taxes/overnight shipping to NF, NY..here it was around $1200 at the dealer.

propr'one
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
If you drive your car to the US, modify it, and drive it back without disclosing this to customs, and they find out, they can and will seize your car.

so,

-dont get caught
or
-just declare the shit, pay the 6% taxes, and install it in toronto

ScotcH
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
If you drive your car to the US, modify it, and drive it back without disclosing this to customs, and they find out, they can and will seize your car.

so,

-dont get caught
or

13% taxes, plus 6% duty (sometimes)

ericdalinda
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM

so,

-dont get caught
or

But i dont understand how they can find out? say if i went drove to buffalo bought a set of rims and tires installed them in buffalo through the old ones in the back seat and went to the border.... what could they possibly say?? i bought these rims in canada???

propr'one
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
scotch you're right.

eric, i'm not saying they could find out, but if they do, you are, how did you say... "MERKED."

shimajer
03-25-2008, 01:44 PM
But i dont understand how they can find out? say if i went drove to buffalo bought a set of rims and tires installed them in buffalo through the old ones in the back seat and went to the border.... what could they possibly say?? i bought these rims in canada???

trust me.. they kno... they will ask you why did you have another set of wheels/tires at the back..

now, what are you going to say? they will make you stay there until you admit that you bought either the set installed on the car or the set in the rear..

don't you think that's such a dumb move? unless you drive there will bald tires, put new ones on, throw out the old tires... then that's different..

is it worth it to go through all that and get blacklisted? .. might as well pay the 13%...

Paul540/m3
03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Firstly, they monitor forums/ebay and often have the auction/thread printed and ready to show you when you pull up to the border. I personally know of someone who bought something of Ebay, shipped it to buffalo, and they had the auction printed and presented it to him when he crossed the border back to Canada. They will first ask you and see if you are lying and then when you lie they will present the evidence(the auction/thread) and prove you wrong. They will then proceed to charge you extra as well as blacklist you. So posting about this in this on a public forum probably isn't the best idea.

You tell me is it worth it?

This does not mean that you will get caught as they obviously do not have the resources to monitor every forum or auction, but realize that there is a very real possibility you may get caught.

summit425
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I bought rims, tires, rotors, pads, lines fluid etc and had it all installed in the states and save I would estimate around $1000+. It is definitely worth it. Paid no duty or taxes!

can you tell me which shop did you bring your car?

summit425
03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
:confused: you watched too many movies..

they see my car and realize oh that is "summit425's car"!!!

let's seach forums!!!

wow.. do you actually believe that?? lol

you are funny *par-t*

they monitor forums/ebay hahahahaahahaahhaha

am I smoggling drugs? *thmbsdwn*

I just need to find a place to get my oil change done.

Well obviously I can make 2 ebay id and uses it as it.

made an auction for $1 and I win with my 2nd id. print them out.

Firstly, they monitor forums/ebay and often have the auction/thread printed and ready to show you when you pull up to the border. I personally know of someone who bought something of Ebay, shipped it to buffalo, and they had the auction printed and presented it to him when he crossed the border back to Canada. They will first ask you and see if you are lying and then when you lie they will present the evidence(the auction/thread) and prove you wrong. They will then proceed to charge you extra as well as blacklist you. So posting about this in this on a public forum probably isn't the best idea.

You tell me is it worth it?

This does not mean that you will get caught as they obviously do not have the resources to monitor every forum or auction, but realize that there is a very real possibility you may get caught.

Redster
03-25-2008, 03:52 PM
They can do a lot of they feel like it, and keep you there for hours..

When I bought the driveshaft I forgot to bring receipt with me (email receipt I got), and at the border I said I paid $550 (truth) but when I got to the customs the guy didn't think that was right so he called two dealerships and told me the cost is over $1000 so I better admit what I really paid for it.

I told him it's really $550 and he's more than welcome to call the company that sold it to me, he didn't want to do that. We were getting pretty loud arguing so finally another customs officer came and she tried to resolve it all (the guy went out for lunch). She had another person go on eBay and check pricing, so finally she said $500 is ok and I paid tax/duty on that amount.

The thing is that even the first guy was a total asshole he could've sezied my car if he felt like it..lots of paperwork but he could've done it.

Paul540/m3
03-25-2008, 04:02 PM
:confused: you watched too many movies..

they see my car and realize oh that is "summit425's car"!!!

let's seach forums!!!

wow.. do you actually believe that?? lol

you are funny *par-t*

they monitor forums/ebay hahahahaahahaahhaha

am I smoggling drugs? *thmbsdwn*

I just need to find a place to get my oil change done.

Well obviously I can make 2 ebay id and uses it as it.

made an auction for $1 and I win with my 2nd id. print them out.

Laugh it up boss. We'll see who's laghing when you get black listed and cavity searched everytime you cross the border.

Like I said before I personally know someone who it happened to.

It really doesn't matter if you don't beleive me. I really don't care if you get caught, I thought I would post to warn naive people such as yourself, but I guess ignorance is bliss.

Redster
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Bottom line is you can do it 10 times and never get caught or you can get caught the first time you try to save $20 at the border.

I know a person who got blacklisted because he got new tires in the states, when he drove back he didn't declare anything and customs harassed him for 3h. They saw the tires were new, asked him and he said eh bought them before leaving to the states, so they asked where he bought them, receipt, who installed them..

e46it
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
just take the parts out of the original package and put them in the trunk. as for the oil you can declare the value it under $50.

summit425
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
if they catch me well I have nothing to say

but they aren't going to search whole forums who bought what from the statse. *uzi*

thanks for the advise guys! *th-up*

328trackrat
03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Hahaha your all paranoid.... And PAUL540/M3 there is almost 0 possibility of them being able to find out who won an ebay auction and know when they cross the border etc... Your story is most likely folklore. Think about it. THere are millions of ebay auctions a day. FOr them to know when someone crosses that they are going across to pick up an ebay item and then ever further know exactly which item they are picking up and have Exact proof of that auction with your name etc...Im sorry but thats bullshit.

I personally bought RIMS brand ****ing new...Threw dirt all over them left the old shitty ones there drove across told them I just went shopping for 150$ worth showed em the receipts they said ok have a nice day and I was gone... Not to mention I also got new rotors pads lines fluid etc... Saved well over 1g...

Don't be so paranoid the likely hood of getting caught is small. If you want to be safe just ask a canadian shop to vouch that you ordered rims from them.

ericdalinda
03-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Hahaha your all paranoid.... And PAUL540/M3 there is almost 0 possibility of them being able to find out who won an ebay auction and know when they cross the border etc... Your story is most likely folklore. Think about it. THere are millions of ebay auctions a day. FOr them to know when someone crosses that they are going across to pick up an ebay item and then ever further know exactly which item they are picking up and have Exact proof of that auction with your name etc...Im sorry but thats bullshit.

I personally bought RIMS brand ****ing new...Threw dirt all over them left the old shitty ones there drove across told them I just went shopping for 150$ worth showed em the receipts they said ok have a nice day and I was gone... Not to mention I also got new rotors pads lines fluid etc... Saved well over 1g...

Don't be so paranoid the likely hood of getting caught is small. If you want to be safe just ask a canadian shop to vouch that you ordered rims from them.

Very well said as long as your not ****in around with alcohol, drugs, ciggerattes or firearms border people dont give a ****.

just dont be stupid about it if your going across the border to get coil overs get them installed over the border. what the hell will they say???? sir we have video proof that your bimmer was 2.5 inches higher when you crossed the border???

lol

shimajer
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM

i would love to see you try that again next time.. put wheels at the rear seats and just drive away. right....... maybe cause you're white. the op is asian, he will get stopped for sure lolll.

stiffy
03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Just declare the value of the goods when you get to the border. Chances are the customs officer will wave you through. I came back with winter wheels/tires in the back of my wife's SUV, claimed a total of $950, including some shopping my wife did. Customs guy says, "Have a nice day". Take your wife / gf and buy some groceries or clothes too. They're not looking for little crap like this. When you're asked what you've got, tell the truth...XX dollars and some clothes and stuff for the car. Much better than getting caught and screwed over. Certainly better than running around looking for a place to do the work in Bflo and sweating the whole deal.

98Dinan3
03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
As someone who has been harassed at the border ( i go across every 3-4 weeks) and who's mother works for Canada Customs, I can tell you all about what they can find out about you. They can detain you simply for suspicion, tear the car apart, leave you sitting there for hours, etc... and there is nothing you can do about it. ...and they are suspicious bastards. They're also trained to tell when you're lying. If they find anything, and you can't prove it was bought and paid for in Canada, you're gonna get nailed. Remember the burden of proof is on YOU, not them. Smuggling, of any goods, not just guns, booze, drugs, is a crime and can land you in serious hot water.

I won't even bother to tell you guys how they (customs) deal with people who cause problems/smuggle... the stories are way too funny. (seizures, delayed for 12 hours, criminal charges) Anyway, take my advice, and declare the stuff you bring back... why take the risk at forced buttsechs?

Jon@Bimmersport
03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
i would love to see you try that again next time.. put wheels at the rear seats and just drive away. right....... maybe cause you're white. the op is asian, he will get stopped for sure lolll.

Try being indian, pakistani, or middle eastern..and you'll be happy your asian..lol

**** though, indian ppl didnt even do wrong..we just do your taxes I dont get why we get thrown in the political mess.

Paging SICKFINGA for this thread!!!

new_e46
03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
This debate can go on and on....the only way to find out is for the OP to try it and report back.

slemmer
03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I agree with Dave. Just claim what you buy - I've done this about four times last year and each time we claim actual purchases of around $900 and showed them the receipts at the same time. When they heard we didn't have any cigs or alcohol they just said bye and have a nice day. Don't need the hassle.

shimajer
03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Yah bought a trunk off ebay. I forgot to print out an invoice.

I told them the exact amount, it didn't matter because they didn't trust me. They took my ebay login and password. But the dumbass couldn't find it in my ebay history, so he asked me all these questions.

Then he went on asking me questions about where did I buy my parts and stuff.. he was trying to ask me to hook him up with deals, gtfo. I was there for 50 minutes and I did not even lie, imagine I was lying and they found out.

but seriously, engine oils and window regulators.. you can just bring them back without declaring. Just leave them in the trunk, declare some other shit like clothes or something.

Spoose
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
about a four months (when dollar first hit par) I crossed the border with my wife. she went on a little shopping spree and spent $300. when I got to customs, I declared I we spent $300 and they had me pull over. i went in, gave my reciepts and waited in line to pay my duties. there were two ladies in front of me paying their duties, one lady paid $1.25 and the other paid about $6. I thought wtf, why would they hassle someone for $1.25 or $6. after I paid my duties, I went to my car and sure enough, they were inspecting the two ladies car and pulling out bags of stuff. so they made the ladies pay the duty on the stuff they declared, then searched their cars and fu*ked them on the stuff they did not declare. when I got to my car, I thought I could drive away, but no an officer came over and looked at my bags and matched everything on the receipts for what I bought. another officer, looked at my wife in the passenger seat and told the guy inspecting that my wife had a new Coach purse, which was in fact very old, so I got hassled for that too.

then last month went over again, and got to the booth and told them I spent $400 and the guy said "thanks, have a nice day"

Moral of the story.... the outcome of you getting caught depends on whether the officer got laid the night before or not...... purely luck of the draw.

Also, someone told me that if you can get a US shop of put on the bill "necessary repair" you do not have to pay duty on it since the car malfunctioned in the US and the repair was necessary to get home. I know people who have done this when buying tires in the US, they say they got a blowout on two tires, and that they had to replace all four. As long as the invoice shows "necessary repair" you'll be okay. if someone can confirm

sorry for the long story...

Paul540/m3
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM

Like I said before, take it for what its worth. All you newbs talk a good game but lets see what your saying when you have customs up your ass, literally.

I'm done here. now I remember why I don't frequent max anymore, it's gone downhill.

shimajer
03-25-2008, 11:13 PM
when you think cops have bad attitude, try the custom officers... wow.

Redster
03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Like I said before, take it for what its worth. All you newbs talk a good game but lets see what your saying when you have customs up your ass, literally.

I'm done here. now I remember why I don't frequent max anymore, it's gone downhill.

You can give them an advice, but some people need to learn on their own mistakes.

PS. You actually told me about max few years ago *th-up*

bimmerjoe
03-25-2008, 11:46 PM
lol speaking about all this duites and taxes i just bought a eibach prokit from the states $207.99+ taxes and shipping cameout to $267.00... and ontop of that the seller said he will put the item as a gift for $100 bucks..... so in the end im spending about 300 bucks for a $400 kit.. not to shabby. but im still a little skeptical about what the ups guy is gonna hand me a bill for.

summit425
03-26-2008, 12:46 AM
lol speaking about all this duites and taxes i just bought a eibach prokit from the states $207.99+ taxes and shipping cameout to $267.00... and ontop of that the seller said he will put the item as a gift for $100 bucks..... so in the end im spending about 300 bucks for a $400 kit.. not to shabby. but im still a little skeptical about what the ups guy is gonna hand me a bill for.

that is why I don't use UPS!

Either Fedex or USPS but so far USPS is the best!

They don't usually ask you to pay duties or taxes but Fedex and UPS do.

They also charge you some "declear fee" (they declear the value for you????)

Spoose
03-26-2008, 09:13 AM
FedEx and UPs always charge you some sort of money, its BS.

usually when I buy parts from over the border, I ask the the seller to indicate that they are returning the item back to me. that way it usually avoids the duties.

Arash
03-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I have a question: Let's say I buy something off ebay for $20 and $180 shipping, Do I have to pay tax/duties on $20 or $200?

Spoose
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
i am sure it is the $20, but it has to be reasonable. you can't say you bought a new bumper for $20, but the shipping was $200. unless you can prove it, or the bumper is really used and old. also the shipping company will know how much it cost to ship it.

summit425
03-26-2008, 03:52 PM
in that case duty on $20. but you know what? if you tell this to the officer they aren't going to believe you and even make you log on to your ebay hahaah but well if you have a strong evidence you really paid $20 they can't say anything.

shimajer
03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Not true. If the invoice's total is $200. The duty will be based on $200, it doesn't matter how much shipping or the item is. It happened to be a few times.

Gamite
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
duties are a percentage, like tax. It's not a flat rate.

Arash
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I'll print all the receipts and present everything at the border, it shows the shipping price on the receipt so I'm afraid they'll want to tax/duty me on the shipping price also, since they're ghey like that. I ordered shit load of parts to Buffalo hopefully they won't give us too much trouble.

But srsly, shipping is a service, they can't tax you on a service can they? its like having to pay tax/duty when crossing the border for getting your hair cut in teh US.

summit425
03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Not true. If the invoice's total is $200. The duty will be based on $200, it doesn't matter how much shipping or the item is. It happened to be a few times.

:confused: duty on shipping????? wow..