PDA

View Full Version : Buying 18" rims...

Bliss
12-14-2001, 08:38 PM
Tough choice you got there, buti think i would go for the bbs, they got a nice lip going.:) Either way you go though, it'll be a good choice i think.

M-POSING
12-14-2001, 10:37 PM
Hey Rob,
Gotta go for the BBS'S...Like Bliss said they've got a sweet lip thing happening.

M3ntal Kev
12-14-2001, 11:48 PM
Rob,

Just watch out for future brake mods and brake caliper clearance issues. I got bitten with my M-Parallels and it looks like those BBS RKs would land you in a little trouble too.

Bliss
12-14-2001, 11:56 PM
I think BBs have a large clearance, but i could be wrong about the RK. I know thats the same issue im having between the CH's and Hamann's. The CH's have alot more space for a brake upgrade.

M3ntal Kev
12-15-2001, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by M3ntal Kev
Rob,

Just watch out for future brake mods and brake caliper clearance issues. I got bitten with my M-Parallels and it looks like those BBS RKs would land you in a little trouble too.

The RKs have way more dish than your Hartges. The problems if any will be in clearance between the caliper and the spokes of the wheel.

GR8 Ride
12-15-2001, 02:59 PM
Rob,

It all depends on what you want to do. With an AP Racing setup, for example, you can get the brakes custom built to suit whatever rims you have.

Some other kits you *may* need to use a 5, 10 or 15mm spacer to allow proper fitment.

For an 18" size, I don't think you'd have a problem. With 17's, it becomes an issue.

BTW, what size are your Hartge's (16x??), and what bolt pattern?

Pat

M3ntal Kev
12-15-2001, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma
Rob,

It all depends on what you want to do. With an AP Racing setup, for example, you can get the brakes custom built to suit whatever rims you have.

Some other kits you *may* need to use a 5, 10 or 15mm spacer to allow proper fitment.

For an 18" size, I don't think you'd have a problem. With 17's, it becomes an issue.

BTW, what size are your Hartge's (16x??), and what bolt pattern?

Pat

Pat,
The issue with the e30 M3 is that the factory rotor does not have a deep hat. This is because it wouldn't clear the lower ball joint and control arm. Where this poses a problem is when using a larger caliper. As is stands the factory caliper will not clear some deep dish wheels.

I had this problem when I had to switch between the M-Parallel and the new (much brake clearance) Compomotives.

PS - Pat do you drive the white e36 coupe with the new cage and Raven sticker across the hood?

GR8 Ride
12-15-2001, 08:58 PM
Yes, but that's part of picking a rim that is designed for the car.

With the AP Racing setup, the rotor hat is custom designed to fit whatever rims you're running (BBS RKs et al). The rims are custom measured and a hat built to fit.

The problem with the M-Parallel's is that they are designed for the M540i / 740i Sport series; not really a fit for the E30 / E36.

Lousy, because I had a set on my M540i...damn nice wheels.

As to the coupe, yup, that's mine.

Pat

EMPOWERD
12-16-2001, 03:42 PM
Rob,

Go for the RK's they look hella nice! Especially in white.

EMPOWERD
12-16-2001, 04:18 PM
I can get them done for you for exactly $30.00/wheel (tax-in) because I know the manager in the back of a huge powder coating place that does it under the table (awsome quality). Just call me or let me know... I got my wheels done there and it's never been so easy to clean... just soap water takes off all the brake dust.