PDA

View Full Version : inspection 2 covered under BMW warranty????

King Luis
03-24-2008, 02:47 PM
here are the facts:
2004 M3 with 70,000km.
Inspection 2 is due in 10,000km
warranty is up at 80,000km or at the end of July this year.

here's my question. is the inspection covered under my warranty?
BMW is telling me it isn't covered and it'll cost me $1700. f that.
Is the service rep screwing me or is inspection 2 covered for free?

Thanks.

summit425
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
nope! none of inspection 1 or 2 will be covered under warranty..

I think RMP, Bimmersport does inspection 2 under $600.

Gamite
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
nope! none of inspection 1 or 2 will be covered under warranty..

I think RMP, Bimmersport does inspection 2 under $600.

inspection 1 is covered.

rodo
03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
If I recall correctly II isn't covered. I'm 99.9% sure.

Oyster
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
inspection 1 is covered.

correct, previous e46 owner

Oyster
03-24-2008, 03:40 PM
If I recall correctly II isn't covered. I'm 99.9% sure.

I think you are correct too.

Unless you do lots of mileage to reach the trigger point before warranty expires, Inpection 2 might be covered.

But for most people, when they reach inspection 2, they are out of the free service window.

Gamite
03-24-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah, you gotta really push the car to make that green bar go across faster.

King Luis
03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
my inspection 2 is up right when my warranty expires, so if i go in a couple thousand km early. it shouldn't be an issue.
but looks like i have to make an appointment with bimmersport soon.

Gamite
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
yea, but they'll probably say no, you have to do it when the light comes on. Just cuz it's $1700 in their pockets.

King Luis
03-24-2008, 07:45 PM
crap...thanks guys.
bimmersport open saturdays? :D:P

PROJECT_E36
03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
my inspection 2 is up right when my warranty expires, so if i go in a couple thousand km early. it shouldn't be an issue.
but looks like i have to make an appointment with bimmersport soon.

www.techmax.ca *th-up* as an alternative to the dealer

Gamite
03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
crap...thanks guys.
bimmersport open saturdays? :D:P

you have to call for an appointment. They're only open in the mornings.

vadim321go
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
*****************************/

a fantastic alternative to rmp and bimmersport! been going there for quite some time and havent been disappointed once!

owners name is mark

Marky_mark
03-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Inspection 2 is not covered under warranty the reason I know this is I use to work for a BMW dealer and when my inspection 2 was due I did it myself so if I was you King Luis take it to bimmersport and they will take care of you.

///M POWER
03-24-2008, 10:56 PM
^^^To OP (King Luis)

Just as a fellow e46 M3 owner...a reputable private mechanic can do just as well of a job as the dealer as we all know, however one thing to bear in mind is that whomever you choose to take your car to, make sure you TRUST their work...

We all know that the e46 M3 motor is a unique motor, and one that requires TLC in order to perform at it's maximum potential...My theory is..yes it might cost you a couple hundred dollars more @ the dealer...I personally went shopping around and the best price I got quoted was $1000.00 (private mechanics)....However, I bit the bullet and brought it to the dealership and had them do the inspection II on the ///M...My reasoning behind this is if anything were to go wrong with the motor in terms of items/parts that were replaced or worked on...you have reasonable and probable grounds and the peace of mind to go back to the dealer and make a warranty claim and have proof of the work that they had completed.

It's tough cause it's a lot (cost $$$) to take on...but you did buy and ///M and I'm sure you know by now you've got to have the $$$ to back the car up in just general maintenance.

Also...another thing I have noticed, especially knowing personally (friends) who are either @ BMW in sales, or friends that own private dealerships...when someone is shopping for an e46 M3... a key factor in making one ///M more valuable than the next is that both inspections are done and documented as part of the car's history...good selling feature!!

Attached I've got in detail what actually is done in Inspection I and II....

Hope that helps..

Alex*th-up*

///M POWER
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
INSPECTION I

Change oil and oil filter while engine is at normal operating temperature.
Use only Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic oil, or Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic oil, BMW p/n 07 51 0 009 420.

Check transmission for leaks.

Check rear axle for leaks.

Half shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots.

Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks.

Check condition, positioning, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.

Check power steering system for leaks. Check p/s fluid level; add fluid if necessary.

Check overall thickness of rear disc brake pads using special tool. Record results. If replacement is necessary*:
Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs. Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads. Record results.

Remove and install front disc brake pads, check overall thickness.
Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs.

Check brake and clutch system connections and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.

Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc.

Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.

Check all tire pressures (including spare - except M3, M5, Z8 and Alpina). Correct if necessary. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces [left/right]), tread wear and pattern; in case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if requested.*
Note:If requested rotate all four road wheels as instructed and rebalance.*

Replace M-Mobility System sealant cartridge every 3 years.

Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty (must be performed at least every two years).

Engine Compartment

Read out diagnostic system.

Check and adjust valves.

Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Note: Coolant must be replaced every 4 years (time interval begins from vehicle's production date).

Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required.

Replace brake fluid every 2 years (timing interval begins from vehicle's production date).*

Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.

Check air conditioner operation.

Replace microfilter.
Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions.

Reset Service Indicator.

Body/Electrical Equipment

Check battery state-of-charge, and charge if required.*

Check lighting system, i.e., headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license-plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated make-up mirrors, luggage compartment lights.

Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.

Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.

Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.

Check wipers and washer system(s);wiper blades, washer jet positions.

Check condition and function of safety belts.

Recharge or replace batteries for remote controls in all vehicle master keys.

Check central locking/double lock.

Check operation of all latches.

Check heater/air conditioner blower fan, rear window defogger.

Check rear view mirrors.

Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories.

Activate automatic roll-over protection system (if equipped) via diagnostic link.
Note:First remove hardtop/lower top (325Cic and 330Cic only).

Final Inspection

Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission (except M3, M5, and Z8).

INSPECTION II

Change oil and oil filter while engine is at normal operating temperature.
Use only Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic oil, or Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic oil, BMW p/n 07 51 0 009 420.

Check transmission for leaks.

Check rear axle for leaks.

Half shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots.

Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks.

Check condition, positioning, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.

Check power steering system for leaks. Check p/s fluid level; add fluid if necessary.

Check overall thickness of rear disc brake pads using special tool. Record results. If replacement is necessary*:
Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs. Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads. Record results.

Remove and install front disc brake pads, check overall thickness.
Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs.

Check brake and clutch system connections and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.

Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc.

Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.

Check all tire pressures (including spare - except M3, M5, Z8 and Alpina). Correct if necessary. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces [left/right]), tread wear and pattern; in case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if requested.*
Note:If requested rotate all four road wheels as instructed and rebalance.*

Replace M-Mobility System sealant cartridge every 3 years.

Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty (must be performed at least every two years).

Replace transmission fluid.

Replace differential oil.

Engine Compartment

Read out diagnostic system.

Check and adjust valves.

Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Note: Coolant must be replaced every 4 years (time interval begins from vehicle's production date).

Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required.

Replace brake fluid every 2 years (timing interval begins from vehicle's production date).*

Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.

Check air conditioner operation.

Replace microfilter.
Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions.

Reset Service Indicator.

Replace intake air cleaner element.
Note: Reduce replace interval in dusty operating conditions.

Replace spark plugs.

Body/Electrical Equipment

Check battery state-of-charge, and charge if required.*

Check lighting system, i.e., headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license-plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated make-up mirrors, luggage compartment lights.

Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.

Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.

Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.

Check wipers and washer system(s);wiper blades, washer jet positions.

Check condition and function of safety belts.

Recharge or replace batteries for remote controls in all vehicle master keys.

Check central locking/double lock.

Check operation of all latches.

Check heater/air conditioner blower fan, rear window defogger.

Check rear view mirrors.

Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories.

Activate automatic roll-over protection system (if equipped) via diagnostic link.
Note:First remove hardtop/lower top (325Cic and 330Cic only).

Final Inspection

Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission (except M3, M5, and Z8).

.....HOPE THAT HELPS....

Alex*wave*

King Luis
03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
thanks guys. i've been going to bimmersport for a few years now.

marky_mark. once the weather gets nice i'll email you to detail.
thanks.