PDA

View Full Version : Analog Multimeter for dummy::: how to measure Battery voltage??

summit425
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Analog Multimeter for dummy::: how to measure Battery voltage??

Hi guys.. finally I got an analog multimeter...

I got a digital one few weeks ago and I hated it so much!! numbers are constantly changing so I decided to go with analog multimeter..

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7210/dsc04341ld6.jpg

now.. regardless digital/analog I want to know how to check voltage of my car battery...

which mode should I put?? DCV, ohm, ACV, BAT, DCA??

Since I am measuring a voltage it should be either DCV or ACV.. am I right??

if so which number should I see??

10, 250 or 500??

seriously need your advise.. :)

thanks in advance

PROJECT_E36
03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
dcv should be charging anywere from 12 - 14 volts

SickFinga
03-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Dcv 250

slemmer
03-23-2008, 11:17 PM
u should also check amperage to see how much the car is drawing while off

Mickey Knox
03-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I am a bit surprised none of you guys has fried of their hands yet with the same old "check the amperage"

you need to be careful with suggesting that shit to somebody that has troubles reading the multi. next thing you know he sets it to measure amps and puts it across the battery, so i say it again DONT MEASURE AMPS, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

salocin111
03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
just what are you trying to check with the volt meter? A car battery can read 12v and still not have enough juice to start the car. You need to do a load test to check a battery properly.

slemmer
03-26-2008, 12:01 AM
I am a bit surprised none of you guys has fried of their hands yet with the same old "check the amperage"

you need to be careful with suggesting that shit to somebody that has troubles reading the multi. next thing you know he sets it to measure amps and puts it across the battery, so i say it again DONT MEASURE AMPS, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

You can check amp drainage with the key in the off position. If there is a leak due to a malfunctioning trunk switch, it will show up. I've seen good batteries go down b/c of such a condition. How would you fry off your hands in this instance?

summit425
03-26-2008, 12:38 AM
You can check amp drainage with the key in the off position. If there is a leak due to a malfunctioning trunk switch, it will show up. I've seen good batteries go down b/c of such a condition. How would you fry off your hands in this instance?

I think it will blow a fuse..

btw how to do a load test???