PDA

View Full Version : Towing a BMW

Sneaky
03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Do you tow Rear Wheel Drive cars the same way you would tow a front wheel drive car? Hooking it up from the front and raising the front tires letting the rear wheels on the pavement?

I was parking on St.Clair two nights ago at like 2am. I was at a web cafe with some of my class mates finishing up a project.

As im walking back i see my car attached to a tow truck. They were going to tow me so they could shovel the snow luckily i got back in the nick of time.

They had my car attached to the tow truck the regular way...if they would towed me would that have done anything bad to my car?

How do they tow AWD cars? Do you strictly use a flat bed?

Gamite
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
rear wheels need to be on dollys, otherwise you're differential will be very unhappy.

The ultimate proper way is to put it on a flat bed.

I had the white E34 towed once, and they left the front wheels on the pavement, they ended up smashing the oil pan.

Sneaky
03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Ouch! Did they pay to repair it?

Gamite
03-14-2008, 12:51 PM
yea, the towing company repaired it.

Mickey Knox
03-14-2008, 03:13 PM
when i need to be rescued its a flat bed or nothing

bimmer1989
03-14-2008, 03:17 PM
If your car is a full frame car than you can use a tow truck that only picks the vehicle up from two wheels. if the car is a unibody car meaning the rear frame and front frame aren't connected you need to use a flat bed or you could run the risk of bending the car. For a BMW use only a flat bed.

VSanj
03-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I knew not paying for the meter would catch up to you one day...................lol

StikiGreenZ
03-14-2008, 03:41 PM
It was a snowstorm man, there were no girls around to pay the meter.

You should have realized that man!

PROJECT_E36
03-14-2008, 11:14 PM
If your car is a full frame car than you can use a tow truck that only picks the vehicle up from two wheels. if the car is a unibody car meaning the rear frame and front frame aren't connected you need to use a flat bed or you could run the risk of bending the car. For a BMW use only a flat bed.

:confused:*thmbsdwn* unibody cars have the frame built into them they don't have two frames. BMW dont have to be towed by a flat bed it is a nice luxury though. They should hook up your car by the driving wheels. If its a AWD car they put a dolly under the rear wheels. If the tow truk driver doesn't know which wheels are your driving ones then i would go ahead and call for another tow, chances are he doesn't know what he's doing and he's gonna fcuk ssomething up.*th-up*

-Jakub

Sneaky
03-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I knew not paying for the meter would catch up to you one day...................lol

hahahaha

In toronto, your allowed to park on the main streets for free at night. Even if I tried to put money in the machiene it wouldnt take it.

They were going to tow my car so they could get rid of the snow on the side. Its that friendly towing service the city is doing. Doesn't sound that friendly to me.

Sneaky
03-14-2008, 11:44 PM
It was a snowstorm man, there were no girls around to pay the meter.

You should have realized that man!

Honestly I think your a good guy at heart, but humor is just not your thing.

VSanj
03-15-2008, 12:05 AM
hahahaha

In toronto, your allowed to park on the main streets for free at night. Even if I tried to put money in the machiene it wouldnt take it.

They were going to tow my car so they could get rid of the snow on the side. Its that friendly towing service the city is doing. Doesn't sound that friendly to me.

lol.............I knew that friendly tow would be a bad idea....lol.

what u need to do is lower the crap out of your car......make sure no tow truck make make it under that bumper......than ur cool!

JunzieB
03-16-2008, 12:24 PM
lol.............I knew that friendly tow would be a bad idea....lol.

what u need to do is lower the crap out of your car......make sure no tow truck make make it under that bumper......than ur cool!

Now that right there, sounds like a plan*th-up*:D

bimmer1989
03-17-2008, 08:00 PM
:confused:*thmbsdwn* unibody cars have the frame built into them they don't have two frames. BMW dont have to be towed by a flat bed it is a nice luxury though. They should hook up your car by the driving wheels. If its a AWD car they put a dolly under the rear wheels. If the tow truk driver doesn't know which wheels are your driving ones then i would go ahead and call for another tow, chances are he doesn't know what he's doing and he's gonna fcuk ssomething up.*th-up*

-Jakub

my father worked on cars in a shop and this was quite a while ago but, when cars with unibody construction were towed to the shop some of them had the car bent in the center and when they were placed back on the ground the the car was no longer straight the center waslower than the front and back of the car. Not to the point were the center was touching the ground but enough that it was noticable to the eye.

Jaybone
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
my concern about towing a rear wheel drive car by the front wheels is. if it is a manual trans in neutral i don't know if the gears will lubricate themselves you may end up taking out your trans. flat bed is the safe bet.That is how i got mine home after i bought it,just towed it home with my truck:D

thinair
03-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Towing a unibody car using a stinger will not bend the car. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. If the car actually did bend from being towed the body was probably severly rotted out and would have bent from normal driving. Unless it was towed down a flight of stairs at 50km/h the body wouldn't have bent. Also, keep in mind that like 90% of the cars on the road, as well as many small SUV's are all unibody now.

Towing a RWD car with the front wheels on the ground isn't bad, although if it has a lot of front overhang you run the risk of damaging the front bumper. An oil pan being cracked/broken on an e34/e32 is possible, but not from normal towing, it would have had to hit some debris on the road. I've seen oil pans broken when towing the rear wheels on the ground, when the cars suspension compresses and the oil pan hits the stinger.

A RWD car can be safely towed by the front wheels, provided the rear wheels are on dollies. Technically if dollies are used any car with ground/stinger clearance can be towed facing either direction.

Towing a car with the drive wheels on the ground can ruin differentials and transmissions. With the car at a 20-25º angle, the oil inside the diff and tranny case may not be properly lubricating the spinning gears.

bimmer1989
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I asked my father if the driver was driving like an idiot, he said that it was truck driver because he drove like an ass and got into alot of accidents but wasn't fired because he was the boss's son in law.

shimajer
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
well if the car is stock with stock suspension, it's fine to tow it with the tow truck.. as long as the front wheels are on the ground.. and you don't really have a choice because you didn't ask for the tow truck, they were going to tow your car.

if you had a choice, go with the flat bed.