PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Ignition cylinder removal

R2dmax
03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
I have an e32 735iL. The ignition had locked up on me*thmbsdwn* and I need to replace the cyl and tumbler. I have the parts, but the ignition will ONLY turn far enough to unlock the steering wheel. It wont go into position 1:mad:.

Does ANYONE know anything about how to get it out of there if it wont go to the "normal" point?

J@Tuner
03-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Give this a try and tell me how it goes
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10465&highlight=ignition+cylinder+replacement

R2dmax
03-14-2008, 09:24 PM
I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. Mine is locked up pretty bad though. Hopefully the e32 and e34 work similarly

Eurostyle
03-15-2008, 01:44 AM
I can see only one problem you might have in using that method; in order to insert the paper clip/wire, you NEED to rotate the key pas the unlock point. If your ignition does not rotate enaugh, you wont be able to take it out this was.

On the other hand, a GOOD flat head screwdriver and a hammer will do a good job! It takes a few minutes, and it can be messy, (watch for flying pieces! lol), but it works! (on E36 and E34)*th-up*

R2dmax
03-15-2008, 03:31 AM
I can see only one problem you might have in using that method; in order to insert the paper clip/wire, you NEED to rotate the key pas the unlock point. If your ignition does not rotate enaugh, you wont be able to take it out this was.

On the other hand, a GOOD flat head screwdriver and a hammer will do a good job! It takes a few minutes, and it can be messy, (watch for flying pieces! lol), but it works! (on E36 and E34)*th-up*

So where exactly am I suppose to apply the "hammer" method? The black surround? the silver section of the cylinder?

R2dmax
03-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Bump for assistance...

Eurostyle
03-21-2008, 12:26 AM
So where exactly am I suppose to apply the "hammer" method? The black surround? the silver section of the cylinder?

If you have to ask, i dont think you should try it....
Its done braking off the center of the cylinder, piece by piece, untill you get to the bottom of it and can spin the lock freely...

MANDD
03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
If you have to ask, i dont think you should try it....
Its done braking off the center of the cylinder, piece by piece, untill you get to the bottom of it and can spin the lock freely...

+1

Braking out the center is the only alternative if it cannot rotate to fit the pin however If you are unsure do not try it, not to discourage you but if you go too far you will need the housing.

Mark.

R2dmax
04-20-2008, 12:05 AM
+1

Braking out the center is the only alternative if it cannot rotate to fit the pin however If you are unsure do not try it, not to discourage you but if you go too far you will need the housing.

Mark.

Meant to update you guys, I went out there and tried to "work on it" for about 30 minutes or so with no real progress. I found a locksmith that REALLY knows Bimmers in Charlotte (with A LOT of searching) and he replaced it for $100 bucks. It took hime 2 days to get to me so I took the column apart and removed the electrical part of the ignition (switch, I guess) and started and drove the car that way until he came. Thanks, as always for your help.