PDA

View Full Version : Pre purchase inspection with CPO?

Neb
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
HI,
We currently have a E46 with new car warranty expiring end of march. And it has CPO after that. Is it worth doing a pre-purchase inspection from a BMW indy shop? It's kinda vague what is covered under CPO.

would you do one?

Is Bav Motors a good place to do a pre purchase inspection?

Thanks,

Spoose
03-12-2008, 03:29 PM
if you have cpo, why not take it back to the bmw dealer to do an inspection. that way if there is anything wrong, you can have them replace it under warranty.

propr'one
03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
CPO?

i thought CPO was certified pre owned. i dont see how a car that's out of warranty would automatically be CPO. please explain.

Spoose
03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
he probably bought a 1 year old bmw with the new car warranty still valid and they sold him the cpo warranty for when the new car warranty expired. once the new car warranty expires, the cpo warranty would kick in. cpo warranty is 6 year, 160km?? I think, so 2 more yrs and 80kms more.

Soldo
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Honestly, the CPO's aren't anything to write home about. From my personal experience, theres a LOT that is NOT covered on the CPO. The only thing they really cover is certain engine components (anything thats lubricated), and not much else.

My girlfriend has an VW Cabrio with a CPO warrenty on it, and they cover EVERYTHING with the exception of routine maintenance. I was surprised how crappy BMW's warrenty is (the CPO). Read the fine print. With our E53 we bought the car privately and the CPO was transfered to us, so i'm not sure how much they charge for it, but i doubt it's worth it!

Neb
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. We bought a 3 year old BMW from the dealer last summer, so there was ~1 year new car warranty and CPO after that. Will the dealer do an inspection for free before new car warranty ends? Wouldn't it be bias? I can't find a document anywhere regarding what's covered by BMW CPO, I even asked the dealer if they have a brochure or something listing all the components that is covered, but they don't. BMW USA website has a list, not sure if BMW Canada cover the same thing.

So would you do an inspection from an independent BMW shop?

Soldo
03-13-2008, 10:26 AM
An independant shop might be more willing to tell you of everything, since they'd be LOOKIN for work, wheras the dealer may want to be pushing you away for minor jobs that might be covered.

I went to a few dealerships that didn't have the warrenty components on hand, but one did. So either ask around, but it should be on the back of the warrenty paper that the vehicle had!

Simby
03-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Ya, I think it's worth getting the dealer to do the inspection. They'll charge you $50 or $100 for diagnostic fees but that's a small price considering the price of BMW repairs.

I had them do a check before my CPO warranty expired and they actually found a couple items, both of which were covered. Saved me around $1,200.

summit425
03-14-2008, 03:53 AM
55 point-inpection was only $35 from BMW toronto last year.

Manimillion
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM
55 point-inpection was only $35 from BMW toronto last year.

What is the 55 points? 20 of them are lugnuts I bet!

summit425
03-14-2008, 08:55 PM
What is the 55 points? 20 of them are lugnuts I bet!

no they seriously check every single details and quote you price of parts and labour.

they found broken springs on both rear side of my car and got replaced @ RMP motors. (like 9 months ago)

It worth the money

slemmer
03-14-2008, 09:03 PM
After buying a CPO'd e38 I figured I paid for peace of mind. I had a couple of things go wrong (rad fan, and regulator) in the three years coverage I had it, but given the additional cost for the car at the dealership and what was actually done, I think I could have done better privately, now that I'm familiar with how these machines work and what breaks and doesn't break.