PDA

View Full Version : New classified rules and guidelines.

Bliss
03-10-2008, 10:10 PM
As a lot of us know, there has been a lot of contraversy going on in the classifieds section for some time now. We have finished implementing some rules to follow by. This will hopefully clean up the section from those that have a habit of badgering others while having no interest to buy.

Please have a look.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/announcement.php?f=9

Plans are also in the works to organize the classified section to implement specific sub-titles to the section (ie: wheels/tires, cars, engine bay, etc). We hope this will make the section much more user-friendly:).

dbworld4k
03-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Can you guys also allow the Original Post to be edited long after it has been made? This would help keep threads updated of the contents being posted for sale without having to make subsequent posts in the same thread.

I can't find the thread that discussed this suggestion on Max, but it seemed as if many members would appreciate the added feature of editing the OP at any time.

Bliss
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Can you guys also allow the Original Post to be edited long after it has been made? This would help keep threads updated of the contents being posted for sale without having to make subsequent posts in the same thread.

I can't find the thread that discussed this suggestion on Max, but it seemed as if many members would appreciate the added feature of editing the OP at any time.

We will look into this. Thanks for your suggestion.

Sneaky
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM
You should add a rule that the person has to post a price, that rule is on a lot of other sites.

The way I see it, were all always looking for something for our car. There is always some mod in the back of your mind you eventually want to do or some rims you eventually want to buy, And if the price is right you'll snap on it.

When sellers say stuff like "Give me offers", it puts pressure on the buyer to actually pull the trigger before they are ready. For example, I eventually want __________, but its not urgent. If someone goes to me "make me an offer right now". The mindset goes from...being kind of interested to how much do i want to spend this second. It takes all the planning and organization out of it and it also puts off potential buyers.

bimmerjoe
03-10-2008, 11:48 PM
^^ very true i agree fully... that was also a good way of proposing it lol

Deep 3.2TL
03-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Only thing I see that is troublesome is the not being able to call people on rip off tactics, especially new members who come here only to sell. I understand for established members, but then there are the scammers. There are several people that post nothing but on the for sale section.

All it's going to do is make people make a new thread asking others what they think of the pricing...

Perhaps a minimum time frame for posting for sale or minimum post count? To by pass these rules, a moderator would have to agree to it through PM.

That would stop the "users" of the service.

Soldo
03-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Only thing I see that is troublesome is the not being able to call people on rip off tactics, especially new members who come here only to sell. I understand for established members, but then there are the scammers. There are several people that post nothing but on the for sale section.

All it's going to do is make people make a new thread asking others what they think of the pricing...

Perhaps a minimum time frame for posting for sale or minimum post count? To by pass these rules, a moderator would have to agree to it through PM.

I agree with this. I know some sale threads get out of hand with useless posts, but at the same time i think there are a lot of useless sale threads since some of the people that come on the boards don't really post anything OTHER than starting sale threads.

I see no harm in stating that someone's price is overpriced, if done appropriately.

Manimillion
03-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Can you please make a separate section for vehicle's that are for sale? I think that'll organize the for sale section quite a bit.

Eurostyle
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM

I think this is up to the moderators to deal with....I know in some other forums (Subaru for example) after 2-3 posts in the For Sale section, they start asking questions...and want you to become a sponsor....

On Max some people have 50+ post For Sale, no other contribution whatsoever...I know the moderators are busy, but maybe we should get some more help!?:idea:

Bliss
03-11-2008, 01:23 AM
The Maxbimmer classified section is and always was a large part of the community. If a member wants to post a few things for sale that they may no longer need, and then leave, that's perfectly fine. It's still a contribution to maybe those that are looking for just that item.

The rules that were posted stay as is, and for now, we feel that it is to the best interest of the members, and to the site.

For all the other suggestions being made here, we are taking them all into consideration, and we thank you for that. It helps recieving some feedback, and maybe some additions will be made in the near future as well.

Furious
03-11-2008, 07:40 AM
i have to agree about the rip off part stated above, there are many cases where sellers go out of their way to try to take advantage of the less informed. here is an example of one i participated in with members of bimmerforums... the guy was asking 2 and half times the amount it was worth claiming this was something unique when it was an ebay item, which the pictures were clearly from (ebay).
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100716

im not one to pick apart for sale threads and this is a rare case for me, but sometimes we need people who know their stuff to step up and say "hey your price is too high..."
its up to the moderators to help govern the threads so they dont get out of hand.

JDub
03-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Yes, it would be nice to be able to edit an original post well after it's made. My current for sale thread had a lot of items of which most are sold but I can't remove them from my original post.

JUS_CRZN
03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds good, you should see how tough they are at the toronto subaru club.

jeremy
03-11-2008, 11:11 AM
3. Because of liability issues, and insuring safe buying on Maxbimmer, parting out "full" automobiles is prohibited, and your sale thread will be removed without any notice, unless you are a supporting vendor.

can you elaborate on this?

Boots R
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
3. Because of liability issues, and insuring safe buying on Maxbimmer, parting out "full" automobiles is prohibited, and your sale thread will be removed without any notice, unless you are a supporting vendor.

Liability for stolen vehicles to be parted out.

Vendors have contact with Bruce, so they're easier to track down if ever the police need to ask questions.

Bliss
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84929&highlight=parting

BigD
03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm 100% with Bliss on this. This will serve to remove the bullshit comments from the classifieds. In the rare cases where the comments would prevent real scams, if you are so inclined to be the crusader, report the thread! If you simply disagree with the price, then sorry it's just none of your business. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone can find a buyer for his '92 318 with 500k for 15 grand then more power to him. If he can't, then he's wasting his time, not yours.

Great job guys, just add in the ability to edit posts without expiry and the classifieds will be really good! Beyond that, my wishes are for more complicated functionality I've seen on other forums, such as where the price is an actual parameter of the thread, so you can search/sort by it.

jeremy
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84929&highlight=parting

shit

tominizer
03-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I know on one of the forums I hit up, you have to be a paid member to use the For Sale section. Costs you $30 a year which helps support the site............... mind you there's some perks to that too that surfers just can't get access to.

Furious
03-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I know on one of the forums I hit up, you have to be a paid member to use the For Sale section. Costs you $30 a year which helps support the site............... mind you there's some perks to that too that surfers just can't get access to.

the only problem with that is this is a BMW forum and its hard enough to sell items. ive been contacted by noob members and people who just browse the site and have sold them items with no problems. i do like the idea for something that is in greater demand.

Deep 3.2TL
03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
^^^ I think the payment is to post, not view the for sale section.

BigD
03-12-2008, 01:23 PM
the only problem with that is this is a BMW forum and its hard enough to sell items. ive been contacted by noob members and people who just browse the site and have sold them items with no problems. i do like the idea for something that is in greater demand.

Or you could give Bliss a taste of every sale :)

propr'one
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I dont really think average members should have to pay to post for sale items. I market a product on here, and am completly cool with paying for sponsorship. But if you're just selling the odd item, i think you should be able to sell it free of charge.

Also, if max were to collect a cut of each transaction, legally, they could be held liable for the transaction. (it may not seem like it, but at 500$ an hour, my lawyer will be happy to explain to you how this is true)