PDA

View Full Version : Members' Rides Section On Main Page

djcontra
01-23-2003, 06:58 PM
I want to see a rides section on the main page of maxbimmer. Something where we can create a little profile about ourselves, and post pics of our cars on there. The rides section on the forum isn't static enough to be as effective with new posts being posted daily. It will also allow visitors to view each members' ride without sifting through the many posts on the rides section which half aren't of our cars anyway =)

FastM3
01-23-2003, 07:38 PM
I posted something like this a while back but no one wanted it.

My idea was a little more in depth. I said we could make a map of Canada and USA, then sort out people through the provinces and then cities. Then we could have their member and car info. And if you didn't want to sort through the cities just have another feature by name or soemthing...

The subaru club my bro is on used to have something really cool like this but they switched owners and now they ruined the whole club...

MP328
01-23-2003, 07:47 PM
i'm for the first one. and i would add to that.

maybe dedicate a whole page for each member. like make a template and everyone can fill out their information and add pictures of the car. so that everything looks the same.

and if u dont want to waste bandwith then everyone can put it on their webspace and u just link to it.

but ALL SITES would have to be the same way which they would be if we use template.

djcontra
01-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by MP328
i'm for the first one. and i would add to that.

maybe dedicate a whole page for each member. like make a template and everyone can fill out their information and add pictures of the car. so that everything looks the same.

and if u dont want to waste bandwith then everyone can put it on their webspace and u just link to it.

but ALL SITES would have to be the same way which they would be if we use template.

exactly, this is what i meant. i'm really bad at explaining things sometimes lol

MP328
01-23-2003, 08:16 PM
and another thing maybe. since there are now over 1000 members or so on max and the profile sectiong u have hundreds of pages with the nicknames that u get lost.

maybe only the ones that post frueqently should be allowed to have one of those. maybe after 500 or 1000 posts.

AND NO POST WHORING to get there

FastM3
01-23-2003, 09:14 PM
No we shouldn't have limits, it's enough we have post whoring for avatars etc...If you wanna do soemthing like that it's basically a cardomain copy-cat....we should just go under cardomain and make our titles "maXbimmer's ?????"....

you have a good idea though.....but i really want to add that country and province info for each member, it would look cool since we have guys from the west and it would show their name on the map out west....just MO *th-up*

M50E30
01-23-2003, 11:07 PM
I like that map idea! But we have members from around the world not just North America! I say we have a clickable world map (for each country) and sort out members by location after clicking on the country.

Once you found a member they have a small pic, better detailed profile discription, and a link to thier own website.

BUT...to have this option we should have a minimum fee that goes into a pot/account (that will have a display on the site for members to see) for future server upgrades and advertising?

Just my worthless $0.02,
Dave
:D

FastM3
01-24-2003, 02:32 AM
No, dave your right. The fee is a good idea. It'll help Bruce and the other guys running the site a lot less stressful....

And about the map, we can steal it from BMW's website! lolol

and if the mods want, i can be incharge of making everyones page and adding them to the map if it's ok...*th-up*

thinair
01-24-2003, 02:54 PM
With the map, you'd have like a few hundred members piled up in the GTA area though.

FastM3
01-25-2003, 03:36 PM
ya i know so i was thinking we could do a section near the GTA area and you click it, then it kinda shows another pic on top showing all the names....it'll be cool once done

MP328
01-25-2003, 03:55 PM
look what they got over on TCC site http://www.torontocivics.com/profiles.shtml they sorted their members by the cars they drive.

i woulnt do that since there are too many different cars on our board.

but maybe not a map maybe just the name what country the members are like they have it over there. and then every name should be a link to the persons profile and more details about them.

FastM3
01-26-2003, 04:12 AM
there aren't that many differet types of cars on the board...if we sort out the cars by the "E##" it would be easy....

and the map is also a good idea since we could create something to show where everyone is located across the world...

sonny
01-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Do you mean something like www.e46fanatics.com where there's a members list and you can view their ride and info??

djcontra
01-28-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by BMW4Life
Do you mean something like www.e46fanatics.com where there's a members list and you can view their ride and info??

yeah I like that idea they have, except when you click on the picture of the car it should open a small window with a bio of your ride, and if space permits, 3 more pics or so. A template is also a must, very good idea.

I also like the idea that it should only be open to members who have "X" number of posts. This way we can limit the page from being flooded with entries by members who may only come on the website once or twice and never come again. It should be limited to frequent users of the website/message board, or avid members who come to meets often and may not use the internet much.

The map idea sounds like quite a bit of work. I think symbolizing your national flag by your nickname should suffice.

FastM3
01-28-2003, 04:32 AM
ya i guess that idea about the # of posts you have allows the person to have a page with their info...

i really like that idea of the map just because it shows where everyoen is located...i dont mind making the html document and then sending to bliss and the rest of administraion to just add it to the maxbimmer webspace...i can make it all l ike image mapped and all....itll take some time but im willing to add all the links and names!!

MP328
01-28-2003, 08:14 PM
another idea for the map

you can make a few maps first being the main one of the whole world and maybe how many members are from which continent like N. America , Europe and so on.

and then when u click on each one of the continents u get a bigger map i.e. of n. america having a map of canada and the states.

and then again u go closer to the provinces or states. and so on and on

M50E30
01-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by MP328
another idea for the map

you can make a few maps first being the main one of the whole world and maybe how many members are from which continent like N. America , Europe and so on.

and then when u click on each one of the continents u get a bigger map i.e. of n. america having a map of canada and the states.

and then again u go closer to the provinces or states. and so on and on

Damn thats an excellent idea! It can cut down on clutter big time. Wonder if Bruce is pondering the idea? :confused:

FastM3
01-29-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm glad you guys are starting to like it more....

and Bliss, if you like it as well, I can do the html work for it, and then just give you the page and you can add it to the maX page like i was saying before...

Bliss
01-29-2003, 10:37 PM
It's funny that you guys mentioned the map thing because a while ago (about 5 months back), We were actually writing a program that would link everyone's location in their profile field to a specific region in the world. Then the users can simply click on the region that they are from, and see who's there from max.

Thanks for the extra suggestions, and ideas guys. They are really good.

As for the program, we put it to the side for now, but maybe soon we will be able to finish it.*shiner* All your ideas will be put into consideration.