PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Question

Rush
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Just got a ticket this morning for "Fail to display two plates" ... I had one in the back and one in the front on my windshield(very visible) ... can I make a case out of this?

the guy was picking on me left right and center ... I can give you many tickets (for photocopy of ownership, for loud muffler), but "I'll give you the least intrusive one"

Also, on the ticket he put 08 for the year of my car, my car is 98.

What's the best way to go about this? Thx

europrince
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
08 is the expiry date on the licence plate sticker. you can't get off on that. you can ask for a first attendance meeting and in the meeting ask for a reduced fine. he had every right to give you the ticket. HTA says you have a visible licence mounted on your bumper, not in the windshield. in the windshield, it can only be read while standing beside the car. it can't be read from another vehicle on the road. that's the issue. it must be visible from the road. this is not a moving violation, so it won't affect your insurance.

Manimillion
03-06-2008, 11:22 AM
this is not a moving violation, so it won't affect your insurance.

Some insurance copmanies actually DO care about non-moving violations, they argue that you are not a responsible driver and jack up your rates. I have a friend who has a hard time getting a decent price on insurance because he has a couple of "failed to surrender ownership", "failed to surrender insurance", and etc...

Insurance companies are evil...

maxevo
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
correct ^^ what europrince said you need to have both licence plates visible , in case of an accident its actually really dangrous that loose licence plate on the wiendshield can fly and cut someone's kneck off.

Manimillion
03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Also, on the ticket he put 08 for the year of my car, my car is 98.

I am sure you are looking at the year of the offence, and not the year of your vehicle.

europrince
03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I am sure you are looking at the year of the offence, and not the year of your vehicle.

I've noticed on tickets past that the vehicle year was always the licence sticker expiry year.....my experience anyways.

Boots R
03-06-2008, 12:02 PM

08 is the year of the renewal sticker on the licence plate.

europrince
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM

haha, if boots didn't have me blocked, he'd see that I already said that twice :D

:moon:

ScotcH
03-06-2008, 12:19 PM
correct ^^ what europrince said you need to have both licence plates visible , in case of an accident its actually really dangrous that loose licence plate on the wiendshield can fly and cut someone's kneck off.

Not just visible ... it has to be on the front most part of the car (ie, bumper). Also, agree on the insurance thing ... they absolutely care about non-moving violations. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Manimillion
03-06-2008, 12:20 PM

My bad, all I knew was that its not the year of your vehicles make.

Boots R
03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
My bad, all I knew was that its not the year of your vehicles make.

I found out because I went in to fight a ticket using the same reason. :D

AceOfSpades
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
do insurance companies jack up the prices by much? does TD insurance car about that kind of ticket?

///Milan
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
put your plate on and go to court

mpower1226
03-06-2008, 01:08 PM
The plate needs to be ON the car not IN the car, so the cop said

tig
03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
do insurance companies jack up the prices by much? does TD insurance car about that kind of ticket?

a lot of insurance companies give u a pardon for the first non moving violation, some dont tho, like my insurace...belair

jstalin
03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
this is not a moving violation, so it won't affect your insurance.

While moving violations are more serious, nmv certainly can negatively affect your premiums.

ScotcH
03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
While moving violations are more serious, nmv certainly can negatively affect your premiums.

And after 4 violations (moving or not) they will usually drop you, and then you're astuck with facility until they fall off. Again, ask me how I know.

jstalin
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
And after 4 violations (moving or not) they will usually drop you, and then you're astuck with facility until they fall off. Again, ask me how I know.

yep, that's why I always say don't pay much attention to the demrit points, it's really the # of tickets that matter in the eyes of the insurance company

slemmer
03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Ok, I'll bite: ScotcH, how do you know?

Boss17
03-07-2008, 01:48 AM
I had the same exact ticket back in september. I mounted the plate, got an invoice from bmw saying I got the proper plate mounting piece (lied and said my car was equipped with a euro one and I ordered a new piece). Prosecutor had the ticket thrown out. They're not gonna deal with BS tickets like this and clog up the court system.

Rush
03-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you for all your comments, got my first attendance meeting scheduled ... what's my best defense? Provide a good explanation OR mention the fact that I got pulled over for a different reason and the cop was just picking on me for whatever reason?

Helka
03-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Don't say that because he has in his notes what all was wrong with your car and if you say that he originally pulled you over for lets say speeding they can and will bring that offence(s) back up. If it's your first time getting a ticket period then just go into the meeting and say that you have never been in trouble before and that this won't happen again and worst case scenario the ticket sticks. The only ticket i have ever received was with my MR2 (previous owner had a shit can for an exhaust) was a noisy muffler only because i was speeding and thats what drew his attention to me.