PDA

View Full Version : Dead pixels

Redster
03-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Sales person at the dealership where I got my 545 (used car dealership) said that in the states BMW NA still fixed dead pixels (you just pay for the labor). I have a few on my E39 540i, does anyone know if this is "doable" in Canada too or..?

Gamite
03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I heard that it only works in the US, BMW NA is different than BMW Canada.

Quack
03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
you might be able to find someone locally to repair dead pixels, I remember Justin_E36 repairs dead pixels in clusters.

Redster
03-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Ok, thanks..I was just curious since I heard from many people about this issue. It's strange that only owners in the states get this fixed by BMW, well not strange but unfair :)

propr'one
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
^^you up for a cruise to the states? i'll gladly pay 100$ to get my cluster pixels to work (half the time 1/4 of the display is dim)

Redster
03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
^^you up for a cruise to the states? i'll gladly pay 100$ to get my cluster pixels to work (half the time 1/4 of the display is dim)

I don't know if that would work, they probably do that for USA residents/cars registered in the states..? Then again I'm just guessing..

e46it
03-06-2008, 03:10 PM
i contacted BMWNA about this, and i have not heard back yet. another short end of the stick for the bmw owners in canada.
dont bother with the DIY contact cleaner solution, the issue comes back after week or two. try these guys
http://www.vdorepair.com/
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/bmw_pixel_repairs.htm

Redster
03-06-2008, 03:16 PM
i contacted BMWNA about this, and i have not heard back yet. another short end of the stick for the bmw owners in canada.
dont bother with the DIY contact cleaner solution, the issue comes back after week or two. try these guys
http://www.vdorepair.com/
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/bmw_pixel_repairs.htm

About two years ago I contacted them and I got a reply saying they only do this in USA but sometimes they will do it for Canadian owners if the car is relatively new and under 100,000km

BS if you ask me, same cars are here and in USA and this is the same problem, but there they will fix it even if the car is 10 years old and with over 200,000km (know a huy who had it fixed, paid $75 for labor and that was it).

I just thought maybe something changed since I contacted them..

Fern
04-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I contacted BMWNA shortly after I got my used 99 540i with the pixel problem... My car had 109,000 km and was 3.5 years old.

They politely told me to contact BMW Canada who very politely told me it is expected that a vehicle which is out of warranty require maintenance and repairs who's costs for same should be borne by the owner.

I didn't want to bother arguing that maybe the U.S. vehicle owners expected their cars be built to a higher standard, which results in BMWNA agreeing to incur this cost vs having the owner incur.

I heard also that the reason BMWNA is doing this is because the new cluster is subsidized by the manufacturer as a result of improper assembly when they were originally made... that being said, since U.S. residence pay the labour... BMWNA has no out of pocket expense and comes out smelling like a rose.

BMW325IS
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Why we can't get what we want in CANADA...no euro spec e36 m3s, no M3 csl, no GTR BNR 34...no pixel fix?????? Come on...

vadim321go
04-25-2008, 09:21 PM
pixel fix is pretty easy, i did it on my e36. its a lil time consuming cause u have to be gentle with everything but other then that its pretty easy. there are quite a few diy's on bimmerforums, they are quite detailed as well

Jon@Bimmersport
04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Why we can't get what we want in CANADA...no euro spec e36 m3s, no M3 csl, no GTR BNR 34...no pixel fix?????? Come on...

There was 45 euro specs imported to canada in 94. :confused:

Maxium
04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Sales person at the dealership where I got my 545 (used car dealership) said that in the states BMW NA still fixed dead pixels (you just pay for the labor). I have a few on my E39 540i, does anyone know if this is "doable" in Canada too or..?

Redstar

Please PM me and i will give you a guys number in Guelph German mechanic i deal with he uses someone in Kitchener and its $300.00 with warranty

Cheers

328IScreamer
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
when i had dead pixels on my obc in my e36 i looked up a diy on the net and fixed it myself. Actually wasn't that hard to do

Dado 540
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Fixing E39 speedo pixels is a bit more complex then the E36. There is detailed DIY for the E39 speedo fix.

HAHA Quote form www.speedofix.com

"We are an established company based in Toronto, Canada in 2001. Specializing in digital odometers mileage correction and programming on all vehicle's instrument clusters (including bikes) and other related diagnostic and repair issues. We offer a fast mobile and reliable service through Great Toronto Area and by postal services. If the mileage reading on your odometer is not match your original we advice you to let us carry about it! SpeedoFix is offering a complete service to fix your odometer reading - adjust mileage to any value you believe is accurate and legit."

are you kidding me, they are advertising pulilng back odometers. Catch phrase - "adjust mileage to any value you believe is accurate and legit" ??????????? UMMMM

Dado 540
04-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I think my odometer is reading a wrong value its 100,000 km over, can you guys correct it?

Regore
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I recently discovered, that the real root cause of the pixel problem is the ribbon cable which goes from the PCB panel to the LCD.
So I replaced it, and my speedo now works as a new one... I can only recommend this solution, as I tried several DIY's before, and nothing worked properly but this.

These ribbon cables cost peanuts, and are available on several places on the net, for several models / units: you can buy them on Ebay, or here: http://www.pixelfix.net/eng , and also on some Chinese websites. I bought mine on the link above, as this is at least a European manufacturer that I trust a bit more then the Chinese products…

I hope I just saved some time and money for you *wave*

okeah
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I recently discovered, that the real root cause of the pixel problem is the ribbon cable which goes from the PCB panel to the LCD.
So I replaced it, and my speedo now works as a new one... I can only recommend this solution, as I tried several DIY's before, and nothing worked properly but this.

These ribbon cables cost peanuts, and are available on several places on the net, for several models / units: you can buy them on Ebay, or here: http://www.pixelfix.net/eng , and also on some Chinese websites. I bought mine on the link above, as this is at least a European manufacturer that I trust a bit more then the Chinese products…

I hope I just saved some time and money for you *wave*

I fixed my X5 cluster with guys in Toronto, Canada www.speedofix.com they should have an auction on ebay. my attempt to DIY has failed with broken motors and pixels were working for a couple of months then gone... I would say if you repair your car for sell it is a one story, but if you need it for yourself consider a professional fix.