PDA

View Full Version : Removing heads??

Redster
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
99 540i

Why would BMW make an engine where you cannot remove heads?? Dealer says it just can't be done (no bolts on this engine) so they usually sell everything - $3200 each, so $6400+Tax for the pair..

I was also told that same year had two types of engines..

Luckily heads are fine (head gasket was the problem) but still..

cisco911
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Whoever you talked to at the dealer is on crack! Why would you not be able to take the heads off? No bolts???? WTF??? So if you can't remove the heads, how are they going to sell you two heads if you can't remove the old ones??? LMFAO, sometimes I wonder where these guys come from!

Redster
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Whoever you talked to at the dealer is on crack! Why would you not be able to take the heads off? No bolts???? WTF??? So if you can't remove the heads, how are they going to sell you two heads if you can't remove the old ones??? LMFAO, sometimes I wonder where these guys come from!

Sorry it's my mistake, not heads, but inside stuff (whatever you usually take to the machine shop to be polished or whatever)...when it comes to this stuff I'm definitely not comfortable with it:)

Mickey Knox
03-04-2008, 04:19 PM
what you cant take the valves and rockers out? how the hell are you going to upgrade the cams i wonder :confused:

Redster
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
what you cant take the valves and rockers out? how the hell are you going to upgrade the cams i wonder :confused:

I just got back from the shop and heads were sent to machine shop (to clean/polish everything) and they tried to remove everything and ****ed up drivers side cylinder head!

It's so easy to change vanos on I6, why would BMW make it this way on 8 cyl engines I don't know.other than the fact they sell whole cylinder head for $3200

cisco911
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
^^^^how the hell did they f*ck the head taking it apart???? What machine shop did they take it to??? You have to be very careful who you take your car to to do major repairs like this. Sometimes it is best to pay alittle bit more.