PDA

View Full Version : My Detailing Process - Full Exterior Restoration

HoldenC
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
In a recent PM to a customer of mine, I described to him the process by which I restore vehicles. The process is very important because it distinguishes my services from that of the local wash tunnel or high volume detailing workshop.

It begins with a two bucket wash as described in my "10 Steps to the Perfect Hand Wash" thread:
-Then, I proceed to clay the vehicle using clean, professional clay and clay lubricant.
-I make certain that at least 95% of embedded contaminates are removed from the paint surface. This step prevents those particles from being "polished into the paint".
-Next, the vehicle is re-washed and dried with the standard two bucket system.
-Now, the vehicle is ready for the paint correction process. I usually begin by doing a test section on the hood to see what combination of pad/polish will remove the most defects without harming the finish. A two-step process using a moderate compound and finishing polish is enough for most vehicles. The process may take 5-6 hours or more to complete.
-When the paint correction process is complete, I cleanse the paint with an AIO product that will assist the LSP (Last Step Product) bond to the paint.
-Once the paint has been cleansed, I apply a thin layer of Swissvax Saphir paste wax to the surface by hand. I use my bare hands as an applicator because the warmth of my hands assists with bonding.
-Once the vehicle has been waxed, I begin to dress and clean the vehicles interior and exterior surfaces (i.e. window trim, windows, tires, wheels)

This process takes approximately 8-10 hours depending on the vehicles condition and the hardness of its paint.

mirek
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
What is the cost of something like that?

HoldenC
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
The cost, for a vehicle the size of a BMW 3-Series, starts at $425. It may be higher depending on the condition of the vehicle and for larger vehicles.

328IScreamer
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
how much of that 425 is materials?

HoldenC
03-04-2008, 01:15 AM
This detailing process was formulated to fill the desires of an exclusive category of automotive enthusiasts. Whether you are part of that group is up to you. ;)

328IScreamer
03-04-2008, 01:35 AM
i've bin detailing cars for a few years now out of my garage and for a dealership. i was just curious what you spend on materials. I haven't detailed a car to the extent you do but am interested in learning

HoldenC
03-04-2008, 02:02 AM
I've been planning to set up a meet to teach people how to polish with the Porter Cable polisher. Would you be interested?

AceOfSpades
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I've been planning to set up a meet to teach people how to polish with the Porter Cable polisher. Would you be interested?

HELL ****IN YEA!!!!!!*rockout**rockout**rockout**rockout*

HoldenC
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
HELL ****IN YEA!!!!!!*rockout**rockout**rockout**rockout*

Have any friends that would like to join?

AceOfSpades
03-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Have any friends that would like to join?

probably not:(

Marky_mark
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Porter Cable polisher not a fan of this machine I like Makita its best to polish with
just my 2 cents

HoldenC
03-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Porter Cable polisher not a fan of this machine I like Makita its best to polish with
just my 2 cents

You would find that it has greater corrective abilities when paired with 4" pads and a matching backplate. The Makita, while a good machine, is not ideal for people just starting out.

Marky_mark
03-05-2008, 03:07 AM
^^ True for starting out and being a newbie to polishing.
If your going to start out the Porter Cable polisher is good but I just don't like it just from my experience I have used the porter cable polisher I'm not saying its no good. Another good machine to start out polishing is Orbital Polisher its a safe one to start out with because you can't harm the paint meaning you will not burn through the clear coat

HoldenC
03-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Sometimes, finishing with a PC can be more effective on certain paints than with a rotary.

As well, an orbital polisher (aka steering wheel) is an ineffective tool - even for a beginner - because it has absolutely no polishing ability and is likely to do more harm than good with its bonnets. That is why the PC was invented (or the role it filled, anyway). It combines the safety of the orbital spin with a more powerful more (i.e. capable of breaking down polishes).

But you're right, the proper tool for a pro is a rotary buffer.

Junaid
03-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey i really like ur post and was wondering if i can join the teaching session on how to detail too?

Thanks
Junaid

bmwm5lover
03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I am interested in coming too.

georgost
03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey there, I have recently been debating with taking the plunge into detailing my own car, and worry about improper use of a buffer/polisher....anyway would definitely be interested in a class....SIGN ME UP

Polish_328ci
04-05-2008, 08:40 PM
You still doing the session? I have a friend that would be interested for sure. What's involved with the session? Just us watching you do it or would be have to buy our products and learn first hand?

HoldenC
04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
You still doing the session? I have a friend that would be interested for sure. What's involved with the session? Just us watching you do it or would be have to buy our products and learn first hand?

Still looking for a venue but you can sign up here. Subscribe to the thread for event updates as well.

I will bring wash packages, including microfibre, buckets, and wash soap as well as an applicator for you to purchase.

You will be learning first hand from me, and will perhaps get the chance to do some work yourself.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103109

Thanks

noodles101
05-02-2008, 10:42 PM
that restoration thing u posted in the beginning...
sorry i didnt really get wat it does to ur car. lol sorry
is it just like a wax job? or ...
cuz i have a 328i E36 black. and its got alot of stonchips in the front
and lots of swirls when i see it in direct light
and i also read up on something like ... re-painting the clear coat only so u preserve the black coat under...:S im confusedd

Mickey Knox
05-06-2008, 01:38 AM
noodles check out the sticky section, has a long explanation of the washing and waxing process, i think this is a step deeper involving abrasive materials