PDA

View Full Version : Angel Eyes with DRL on

King Luis
03-02-2008, 01:12 PM
who's got em? i've been looking every where.
E46 with angel eyes on and DRL (inner halogens) on.

Thanks

Redster
03-02-2008, 01:22 PM
You want to disable them or..?

I disabled my DRL on E39, looks much better with only AE on now than it did before.

King Luis
03-02-2008, 01:25 PM
i'd love to. but it takes the GT1 unit to do it.
But from what i heard, BMW won't disable them since it's against the law to not have it.
if anyone knows who can do it, please chime in.

98Dinan3
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I believe Cross Avenue will do for you...

bimmerjoe
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
i'd love to. but it takes the GT1 unit to do it.
But from what i heard, BMW won't disable them since it's against the law to not have it.
if anyone knows who can do it, please chime in.

for a small price i might be able to get it done for you as i am friends with alot of the techs at my dealership

Sneaky
03-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Cross Ave Auto will do it. Anyways are you looking for pics of angel eyes with the drls on? I have some but ill warn u, its not a good look.

King Luis
03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Cross Ave Auto will do it. Anyways are you looking for pics of angel eyes with the drls on? I have some but ill warn u, its not a good look.

sweet.
ya, post some pictures. lol.

Sneaky
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
sweet.
ya, post some pictures. lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/NeoDaOne/DCFC0214.jpg

Redster
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Some dealers will do it if you sign a waiver.

STALKER
03-03-2008, 06:55 AM
May I suggest in the future that PM be used when giving out this info, because I believe it is against the traffic code for places to turn off the DRLs, so we don't want to get any shops in trouble. Just a thought.

StikiGreenZ
03-03-2008, 09:13 AM
If you're putting Angel Eyes on a car, can't they act as replacements for DRL's? Not all cars use headlights for their DRLs, some use corners, fogs, etc...? Cant we get away with saying the angels are our DRLs?

ctgazer
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
but then what about the new e92's? their DRL's are angels....no amber ugly inner bulb

summit425
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
There is no law saying that DRL has to be "orange" in color.

You can use Angel eyes as your DRL.

icu
03-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Talked with a cop about this today he said reading from his book , no car shall be operated without drls , now however he said no where in the book did it describe what type or lumen output the drl has to be , so I said the halos around my hids can be used for drl s right? has any of you guys been charged for this? , not to my knowledge , well then I would suggest to look up the csa standard for drls. Anyone with some experience on this law?:confused:

propr'one
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
what traffic code are you reffering to pej?

HTA
62 (1)

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

^^is what it says about lowbeams

It says nothing about DRL's. At all. The terms "DRL," "daytime," and "running" do not appear in the HTA. the section 62 where it talks about lights doesn't say anything about DRL's (i just read all of it)

I'm 99.9% sure the HTA doesn't mandate DRL's.

edit: i just searched and read the context of every mention of "light" and "lights" the HTA doesn't require DRL's.

King Luis
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
enjoy the read....details are here. i'm sure CCFL angel eyes would pass the brightness. wouldn't they?

Daytime Running Lamps

General

(44) Every bus, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, passenger car, three-wheeled vehicle and truck shall be equipped with two daytime running lamps or, where the daytime running lamps are optically combined with the upper beams of the headlamps, with two or four daytime running lamps.

(45) A daytime running lamp shall be white, yellow or white to yellow, in accordance with sections 3.1.3, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.1, respectively, of SAE Standard J578, Color Specification (May 1988).

(46) A daytime running lamp that is not optically combined with a headlamp shall conform to SAE Recommended Practice J575, Tests for Motor Vehicle Lighting Devices and Components (December 1988).

(47) Subject to subsection (47.1), a daytime running lamp that is not optically combined with another lamp or is optically combined with a lamp, other than a front fog lamp, that is not required by this section shall be designed to conform to SAE Recommended Practice J2087, Daytime Running Lamps for Use on Motor Vehicles (August 1991), including the photometric values set out in Table 2 of this Recommended Practice, except that

(a) the maximum luminous intensity at any test point shall be 3 000 cd;

(b) the lamp is not required to conform to section 6.2 of that Recommended Practice; and

(c) the effective projected luminous lens area of the lamp may be less than 40 cm2.

(47.1) A daytime running lamp that is not optically combined with another lamp may conform to SAE Standard J583, Front Fog Lamps (June 1993), or to sections 3, 4.2, 4.3, 5 and 6 of ECE Regulation No. 19, Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Motor Vehicle Front Fog Lamps, Revision 3 (March 2, 1993).

(47.2) A daytime running lamp that is optically combined with a front turn signal lamp or a parking lamp shall conform to subsection (47).

(48) A daytime running lamp that is optically combined with a headlamp shall

(a) where combined with the lower beam of a headlamp that is designed to conform to the photometric requirements of this section, operate at normal operating voltage or

(i) in the case of a DC system, not less than 75 per cent and not more than 92 per cent of the normal operating voltage, and

(ii) in the case of an AC system or a modulated voltage system, the equivalent root mean square of not less than 75 per cent and not more than 92 per cent of the normal operating voltage;

(b) where combined with the lower beam of a headlamp that is designed to conform to the photometric requirements of section 108.1, operate at normal operating voltage or

(i) in the case of a DC system, not less than 86 per cent and not more than 92 per cent of the normal operating voltage, and

(ii) in the case of an AC system or a modulated voltage system, the equivalent root mean square of not less than 86 per cent and not more than 92 per cent of the normal operating voltage; and

(c) where combined with the upper beam of a headlamp, be designed to provide a luminous intensity of not less than 2 000 cd and not more than 7 000 cd at test point H-V.

(49) For the purpose of determining if a daytime running lamp conforms to subsection (48), the daytime running lamp shall be tested in accordance with section S11 of TSD 108.

(50) A daytime running lamp that is optically combined with a headlamp or headlamps in which two filaments operate together to provide the daytime running lamp function shall meet the photometric requirements of paragraph (48)(c) when

(a) the daytime running lamp is provided by

(i) an upper beam that is provided by two filaments in the headlamp,

(ii) an upper beam and a lower beam of the headlamp, or

(iii) an upper beam of the headlamp, and a lower beam or upper beam of another headlamp; and

(b) the luminous intensities at the test point H-V of each headlamp, tested in accordance with section S10 of TSD 108, are added together.

(51) Where a daytime running lamp is optically combined with a headlamp that is activated in its concealed position, the daytime running lamp shall conform to subsection (47), (48) or (50).

(52) A daytime running lamp may be optically combined with a front fog lamp that conforms to SAE Standard J583, Front Fog Lamps (June 1993) or to sections 3, 4.2, 4.3, 5 and 6 of ECE Regulation No. 19, Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Motor Vehicle Front Fog Lamps, Revision 3 (2 March 1993).

(53) Despite subsections (45) to (52), a vehicle may be equipped with a daytime running light system that conforms to Canadian Standards Association Standard CAN/CSA-D603-88, Daytime Running Light Systems (April 1988), other than a Type 4 and Type 5 system (reduced voltage upper beam headlamps), as indicated in Table 1 of the Standard, if

(a) the daytime running light system components are installed in accordance with the instructions referred to in section 8.2 of the Standard; and

(b) where the vehicle is equipped with gaseous-discharge lower beam headlamps, only a Type 1 system (normal voltage lower beam headlamp) or a Type 6 or Type 7 system (separate lamps other than headlamps), as indicated in Table 1 of the Standard, is used.

icu
03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Ivan , I did not see what he was reading from only some book he pulled out seems he was not the person to talk with about this , I believe you and I have talked about this before so it threw me when he fed me this shit , again pays to do some research.

icu
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks King , the last one one the page was what I was looking for.

Mikey83
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I got my DRL de-activated in Buffalo, and just ride around with my angel eyes in the early to late evenings, looks much cleaner.

S.A.330iM
04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm going to install my angel eyes tomorow morning. anybody know if meranello bmw will turn off DRLs, if not anywhere close by to the GTA? Thanks.

King Luis
04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
pm sent

Qube
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
What? who? where? DRL group disable? I'm in :)

Trekz
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM
i talked to some mechanic at open road bmw in newmarket, and he said he can hook up angel eyes instead of drls on e36. And even if management has a problem with it he said he can do it and tell me "wich wires not to connect"

S.A.330iM
04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Heres a pic of mine DRL on, there's very little contrast between the AEs and DRLs. This pic came out to bright.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/3058000-3058999/3058981_9_full.jpg

shimajer
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
eww, take off those DRLs.
you can unplug them for now.

StikiGreenZ
04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I drive around with only the angels on til its pitch dark outside, then the foglights/corners come on :D

propr'one
04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
^ drive around with nothing at all on

when it gets a little dark or I feel like showing off, i turn the AE's on
when it gets a little darker, i turn the HID fogs on
when it gets even darker, i turn the HID lowbeams on in addition to the HID fogs
-i removed my HID highbeams, customer wanted them, wouldn't wait 3 days (thanks nick:P)
-and when its COMPLETLY dark, and there's no lights on the highway, turn everything off.

Gotta do corner delete, your corners should NEVER be on unless you're signaling/hazards are on. BMW is just stupid and they did it wrong. DRL's bother me. If you wanna wire up your AE's to your DRL, be my guest.
stealth mode:P

I didn't know the motor vehicle safety act had something about DRL's. Everyone always told me it was the HTA, which it definatly isn't, as there's nothing in the HTA about drl's.

Even so, improper lighting is a 110$ ticket, i'll risk it.

europrince
04-16-2008, 02:04 PM
The HTA is an Ontario law document, but DRLs are a national safety law. Every car in Canada produced after a certain year must have DRLs. As such, you won't find the DRL law in the HTA.

Its in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act
http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENERAL/m/mvsa/regulations/mvsrg/100/mvsr108.html#Daytime_Running_Lamps

S.A.330iM
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I have my AE on with the accesories. MARANELLO BMW will turn off DRL for $59, but can't do it till next friday:confused: I thought it was an in and out thing.

propr'one
04-16-2008, 03:02 PM
The HTA is an Ontario law document, but DRLs are a national safety law. Every car in Canada produced after a certain year must have DRLs. As such, you won't find the DRL law in the HTA.

Its in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act
http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GENERAL/m/mvsa/regulations/mvsrg/100/mvsr108.html#Daytime_Running_Lamps

we just covered this.