PDA

View Full Version : OK got a ticket....need some advice

windsorbmw
02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Did 78km/h in a 50 zone.....was late to class so did not realize I was going that fast.I know it is 3 points but should I pay it and hope that insurance does not go up or should I choose option 2 plead guilty with explanation and hope that they reduce it or choose option 3 trial option.

Trekz
02-27-2008, 12:38 AM
always 3

Sa///M3
02-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Option 3

europrince
02-27-2008, 01:09 AM
always 3

propr'one
02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
option 3.

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/

summit425
02-27-2008, 01:34 AM
obviously option 3

M3speed
02-27-2008, 03:13 AM
set a court date, speak to the crown, try to get it plead down to 65 in a 50 ... no points just a fine.. if you plead not guilty and the cop is there chances are u will lose the trial

windsorbmw
02-27-2008, 03:23 AM
set a court date, speak to the crown, try to get it plead down to 65 in a 50 ... no points just a fine.. if you plead not guilty and the cop is there chances are u will lose the trial

So choose option 3??
And go to the court house and set a date and see the prosecutor??

On the ticket for option 3 it states:
"For your convience, and to save time, you may call the court office in advance for an appointment with the prosecutor."

So does this mean that I can talk to him directly to reduce the speed/fine and no points?

Man, 15 years clean and going to school in a rush for a test caused all this crap!*shiner*

alpine323
02-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Just pay and move on...

dtthiaga
02-27-2008, 08:42 AM
^

Never ever do that!!!!! Go to Court and get it reduced; most likely to 15 over, which is 0 Points and a $50-$60 fine. Especially when you had a clean record before this. It's pretty easy to plead guilty to a lesser fine.

jstalin
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
you should always fight it, but 1 ticket with 0 points vs 1 ticket with 3 points really doesn't affect your premium any differently. Most companies forgive the first ticket anyway.

summit425
02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
You have to choose either REDUCED or Go to trial.

Both are option 3 but you can't just reduced + trial.

If you choose to go to trial they don't reduce your speed.

so basically you are paying fines + points if cops show up. I will still take this way because either way your insurance will go up unless you win this case.

europrince
02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
You have to choose either REDUCED or Go to trial.

Both are option 3 but you can't just reduced + trial.

If you choose to go to trial they don't reduce your speed.

so basically you are paying fines + points if cops show up. I will still take this way because either way your insurance will go up unless you win this case.

what are you talking about?

you ask for trial. when your trial date comes and you show up early to check in at the procecutor's bench, you can negotiate reduced charge then and there. the prosecutor will amend the charge when its your turn to face your charge. if the cop isn't there, the prosecutor will say she can't proceed and withdraw the charge

europrince
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Most companies forgive the first ticket anyway.

they do? since when? what companies in specific?

jstalin
02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
they do? since when? what companies in specific?

ING, Chieftain, Dominion, Aviva to name a few. It's not standard across the board mind you, you've got to meet specific conditions to qualify, but companies have been doing this for a long time now

windsorbmw
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I just called the court house and the lady told me to go n and fill out a form to set a date to meet with the prosecutor to reduce the fines.

dtthiaga
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM

you ask for trial. when your trial date comes and you show up early to check in at the procecutor's bench, you can negotiate reduced charge then and there. the prosecutor will amend the charge when its your turn to face your charge. if the cop isn't there, the prosecutor will say she can't proceed and withdraw the charge

Exactly!

Nascar318is
02-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Did 78km/h in a 50 zone.....I know it is 3 points

:eek:*shiner*

Damn 3 points.. that sucks.

INFAMOU$
02-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Read this website.. all the information you need! http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/

jstalin
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
interesting site, for more info on what affects your rates this is good:
http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/appndxg.htm

propr'one
02-27-2008, 01:21 PM
thanks for re-posting that chris, very helpful *th-up*

europrince
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
thanks for re-posting that chris, very helpful *th-up*

just in case the other links don't work...

stiffy
02-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I just called the court house and the lady told me to go n and fill out a form to set a date to meet with the prosecutor to reduce the fines.

That is absolutely the way to go. The prosecutor has the ability to know the ticket down, and should easily go to 65 so no pts. Take a copy of your driver's abstract showing your record was clean until this. If you think there may have been some ambiguity about the speed limit, or lack of signs, or whatever, take those too. Don't go in argumentative though. Go in, make sure the prosecutor knows your record is clean (he will already, but having spent the $12 or $15 or whatever will show you've done your homework). Be humble and polite - odds are it'll get knocked down.

Arash
02-27-2008, 09:52 PM
interesting site, for more info on what affects your rates this is good:

"No evidence of coverage under an automobile insurance policy for at least 12 months out of the last 24"

4 points!!!!!!

I never understood this, so if you decide to ride a bus to work for a year, and so sell you car and cancel your policy, you generate 4 insurance points? Bullshit!

propr'one
02-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Welcome to canada, where you always, always, ALWAYS come last.

summit425
02-27-2008, 10:59 PM

very werid,, I went there to change my trial date (actually I missed it because they didn't send me a trial date) and somehow I had a chance to see the procecutor.

She asked me to plea guilt with the explanation then she will reduce my ticket. She didn't mention about she will reduce ticket even I choose to go to trial. I said I won't plea guilty then she just let me go without adjust anything.

bimmerjoe
02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
lol i have tickest up my ass....... i have a guy who does this under the table shit,,,,,,,,,, i have had 49 overs go down to parking tickets

jstalin
02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
I never understood this, so if you decide to ride a bus to work for a year, and so sell you car and cancel your policy, you generate 4 insurance points? Bullshit!

Yep, that's why it's important to always be insured, otherwise you'll pay much more. Insurance companies are very suspicious of any gaps in your coverage, chances are you were cancelled or paying too high a premium for a reason.