PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: Personalized Plate

e24_635csi
02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I got a personalized plate for my birthday, just last week. and im thinking about selling it. It was an awesome jesture but just not something that i would put on. Ontario plate. " Matts M5 ". anyone interested.

maxevo
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
i didnt know u can sell plates , what if someone ****s around with that plate isnt it still registerd under ur name

bimmerjoe
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
dude keep the plate, put it on... dont get rid of it. plus it will take you forever to find somone else named matt that has an m5 and on top of that wants your plate

Thadose
02-27-2008, 04:09 AM
hi my name is matt and i have a m5 also...

NOT!! lol sorry i had to do it lol

propr'one
02-27-2008, 04:11 AM
selling them is illeagal, they dont belong to you, they belong to the ontario gov't.

if you are going to sell them, the buyer needs the little sheet that came attached to the outside of the envelope the plates came in.

AceOfSpades
02-27-2008, 09:23 AM
dude keep the plate, put it on... dont get rid of it. plus it will take you forever to find somone else named matt that has an m5 and on top of that wants your plate
true lol

INFAMOU$
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
if anything just hang em on your wall.. if i got them as a gift i would feel bad for selling something like that off!

bimmerjoe
02-28-2008, 12:10 AM
selling them is illeagal, they dont belong to you, they belong to the ontario gov't.

if you are going to sell them, the buyer needs the little sheet that came attached to the outside of the envelope the plates came in.

its not illeagal at all.. at the ministry there is a form and basically you donate them to the person that you want to.. personalized plates belong to you not the government

Ital_325i
02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
You get an ownership slip for the plate. If you open up the ownership to your vehicle, there is a plate portion and the vehicle portion. You can "give" the plate to someone else, along with that slip, and receive cash for it, but legally you cannot "sell" the plate.

Its the same as if you transfer the vehicle and plate to a member of your family.

That all said, goodluck finding a Matt with an M5 who wants that plate. I would recommend just keeping it, and not dissapointing the giver of the gift. (Unless its an Ex g/f) Then I would return it.

propr'one
02-29-2008, 09:13 PM
its not illeagal at all.. at the ministry there is a form and basically you donate them to the person that you want to.. personalized plates belong to you not the government

you are wrong.

"Q: Can personalized licence plates be sold and transferred to someone else?

If returned to the ministry, could someone else then buy the same personalized plate combination?

A: Ontario Transportation Ministry spokesperson Bob Nichols replies:

By law, number plates are Crown property and shall be returned when no longer in use or when requested by the ministry.

Number plates cannot be sold privately.

Personalized ("own-choice") plates returned to the ministry are terminated and can't be re-issued to a different requestor.

Plate transfers are not permitted, except under these special conditions:

Company to an employee or officer of the company, or to a family member of the president or sole owner.

Individual to company.

Individual to leasing company, or leasing company to operator of vehicle.

Individual to family member.

A transfer to an unrelated vehicle purchaser may be permitted where there is a strong existing relationship between the two parties, and the buyer has been the operator of the vehicle prior to the transfer as co-habitant, or the co-habitant's parents.

All transfers are subject to ministry approval.
"

So no, bimmerjoe, quit talking out of your ass, you are wrong.[http://www.wheels.ca/article/167051 ]