PDA

View Full Version : Where to pass saftey?

noid
02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Ok so i need to pass saftey... Theres only 2 things "wrong" with the car. First the passenger side tierod is a bit bent but does not touch the rim and the toe is fine. Second the brakelines are rusted (no leaks) and a place like canadian tire will be to picky about it.

vadim321go
02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
canadian tire is gonna check ur breaklines? i think ur giving them way too much credit

mirek
02-22-2008, 03:07 PM
of course canadian tire will check your brake lines, they will likely bit the most thorough, because whatever they can find they can quote you to fix.

Boots R
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok so i need to pass saftey... Theres only 2 things "wrong" with the car. First the passenger side tierod is a bit bent but does not touch the rim and the toe is fine. Second the brakelines are rusted (no leaks) and a place like canadian tire will be to picky about it.

You know, there IS a reason they call it a "safety" check.

Meegis
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
You know, there IS a reason they call it a "safety" check.

I think you belong in an emission thread... *shiner*

noid
02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I forgot to mention its a 1987 bmw 325i

Localy speaking where is a good place to take it? Anyone know anyone? As i said i dont need a sketchy saftey i just dont want them to be like canadian tire like stated before who will just qoute me on everything because their money hungry.

thumper
02-22-2008, 03:29 PM
What area are you from?
Try to find a independanty owned shop which may be more lenient.
Chains like Canadian Tire, Active Green and Ross or dealers will go by the book just to cover their :moon:s

noid
02-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I live in burlington

thumper
02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I live in markham. Not too sure where you can go in Burlington.
I don't think its worth driving to scarborough/markham to get a safety. I am sure some independant shops around there would be helpful.

BigD
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I just went through this with my teg, and all it had was a dragging caliper. It's funny CT, after the inspection, quoted me 750+tax to fix it. I didn't have the heart to tell them the car cost me 900. Replaced the caliper for 30 bucks and passed.

I tried searching far and wide for a mechanic to just sign the paper but they don't exist anymore. I used to know many. TONS of them have gone out of business for this very reason, others no longer do safety at all, so no one dares to risk their business over an extra hundred bucks.

Just fix what needs fixing.

El Gato Liso
02-22-2008, 04:45 PM
brake lines are serious.
dont just get it passed by, by the mechanic doing the saftey. really consider changing them. my e30 i had replaced the entire back end brake system. just trying to disconnect the hose from the T joint we slipped and hit the adjacent line. BOOM it burst open. so imagine having to slam on the breaks...

and basically anywhere that has the green and white sign @ 'their' shop front saying Vehicle and saftey inspection, will do just what u want done.

mirek
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I tried searching far and wide for a mechanic to just sign the paper but they don't exist anymore. I used to know many. TONS of them have gone out of business for this very reason, others no longer do safety at all, so no one dares to risk their business over an extra hundred bucks.

They are around, I still know of 2.

T.Dot_E30
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
My uncle is in King City now, if you want a "fair" honest safety done.

But i think that is a bit far from you.

noid
02-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I just went to canadian tire and they didnt say anything about the brake lines... they told me i need

the inner and outer tierod on the right and the lower ball joint on the left... do i need a whole control arm for the lower ball joint?

vadim321go
02-22-2008, 07:12 PM
go to an actual mechanic and find out what you actually need. asshats at canadian tire will tell u whatever they want to.

propr'one
02-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Just ****ing fix it.

if you had a cracked windshield, or a brake light out, or something completly irrelevant, but tie rod = steering, brakes = you not crashing into semi going 130.

just fix it. Neither are that expensive.

T.Dot_E30
02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
the inner and outer tierod on the right and the lower ball joint on the left... do i need a whole control arm for the lower ball joint?

Ball joints can be replaced seperately, but it requires removing the control arm and pressing out the old one and pressing the new one in. In the end when you pay labour it probably works out to the same thing as buying a new one, even thou the ball joint itself cost about 30-40 bucks.

Inner and Outer tie rods are cheap. I can get you both right and left sides for $80.

Parts are cheap, labour adds up.....thats why working on your own car esp e30s are a good idea.

rlim
02-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Are you going to jeopardize your safety looking at quick fixes and work arounds? There is a cost to car ownership and if you can’t afford to repair these items, how will you be able to maintain the car long term? Not only will you jeopardize your safety, you will jeopardize safety of others around you.

cisco911
02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
as stated above, these are SATETY items and need to be looked into and replaced.

On a side note, places like canadian tire are complete rip-off places. My father owns a shop and we had a customer come in one saturday and needed some front suspension work....ball joints, tie rods and shocks. We replaced everything and were going to send him to our allignment guy, but he was closed on saturdays. The owner said he would just take it to CT on his way home. He went there and after lifting the car, they told him that they couldn't do the allignment until he replaced some vital suspension parts. They then proceeded to list off all the parts that we had just replaced. LMFAO. Our customer proceeded to ask them to provide a written quote on the parts and labour and once he had it in hand pulled the invoice from our shop showing that he had just replaced the parts. He proceeded to bitch them out and said he was going to call head office and the Better business bureau and get them all fired. These are the type of people that give mechanics a bad name!!!