PDA

View Full Version : Cars older than 15 years

Arash
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Are the pre-1993 cars exempt from safety and E-test?

How about when importing an older car into Canada? No inspection, safety, etest, recall letter, etc. required?

Thanks

carscoe
02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
i believe for e-test..anything after 1987 needs one..dont know for safety

thumper
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
15 year rule does not apply anymore.
carscoe is correct if the car is 1987 or older then it would need to be e-tested. Safety inspection is still required for any car being register in ontario regardless of age. As for recall letters for importing I am not 100% sure but I believe they are still required regardless of age.

Shock(/\)ave
02-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I can't believe the extent to which ours Drive Clean program is absolutely ridiculous. They don't even have my car in their stupid database! :mad:

Arash
02-23-2008, 12:48 PM
15 year rule does not apply anymore.
carscoe is correct if the car is 1987 or older then it would need to be e-tested. Safety inspection is still required for any car being register in ontario regardless of age. As for recall letters for importing I am not 100% sure but I believe they are still required regardless of age.

that would sucks! Is there any website we can read the regulations?

ZiMMie
02-23-2008, 02:05 PM
more reason for me not to sell my car.\

Boots R
02-23-2008, 02:57 PM
that would sucks! Is there any website we can read the regulations?

www.riv.ca

DriveItSideways
02-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I can't believe the extent to which ours Drive Clean program is absolutely ridiculous. They don't even have my car in their stupid database! :mad:

How do u mean? U got ur test done and by the time u got to the ministry they didnt have it on file?

If thats what u mean then it sometimes takes a while for it all to process over the dial up modem.

scottyp
02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
i just imported an 1988 e30 and did not have to do anything but pay my duty at the border, no recall letter or any other bs. and anything 20 years and older , no etest.

e30_kid89
02-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Are you sure scottyp? I was under the impression that 88's were always stuck in the system.

scottyp
02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
haha positive literally just finished everything on thursday.

e30_kid89
02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
I have a 88' too....this would be mint for me.

propr'one
02-23-2008, 08:38 PM
there's nothing on thier website, but i was under the impression that cars left the driveclean program when they were 20 years old.

If you're buying a beater, or an older car or whatever, always use this form. Its free, and it will give you the vehicles test history, along with telling you if it passed or failed. If it passed a year ago, pretty good chance it will pass again.
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/VICNSearch.php

also, if anyone has trouble passing e-tests, and wants some help, shoot me a PM. Its a hobby of mine:) I only recommend the methods i use on beaters, because although it likely wont do damage, it could.

Most important things:
-Methyl Hydrate in the tank. (5L gas, .7L methyl hydrate)
-beat on the car for 30 mins before e-test
-leave car running in parking lot until they come/you bring car on dyno to do the test
-if you're still failing, and you have traction control, or your car is really low, PM me. Its easy to get them not to put the car on the dyno (they do two stage idle, way easier to pass)

Arash
02-23-2008, 08:48 PM
i just imported an 1988 e30 and did not have to do anything but pay my duty at the border, no recall letter or any other bs. and anything 20 years and older , no etest.

so you just had to pay 6% duty and the 7% tax? have you registered it yet? no other bs when registering? like safety, out of province inspection, etc.

was the car modified?

craz azn
02-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Are you sure scottyp? I was under the impression that 88's were always stuck in the system.

I don't know either, but I got my sticker renewal in the mail, and it gave me an option for a two year sticker, as if I don't need to go for an etest anymore! Its awesome! I hope

thumper
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
under faq for light duty vehicles it says 88 and newer needs to be tested.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/ldv_faq.php#What%20model%20years%20of%20vehicles%2 0are%20required%20to%20go%20for%20emissions%20test ing?

What model years of vehicles are required to go for emissions testing?

Light-duty vehicles that are are five years of age or older based on their model year and of the 1988 model year or newer require testing to renew the registrations every two years. Vehicles of the 1987 or older model year do not require emissions tests. Vehicles that are even model years require a test for registration renewal in odd calendar years and odd model year vehicles require a test for registration renewal in even calendar years.

Used vehicles require testing for ownership transfer if the vehicle is older than the current model year and of the 1988 model year or newer. The test requirement for ownership transfer is a consumer protection measure to help ensure that consumers do not unwittingly purchase a used vehicle with emissions problems.

scottyp
02-24-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/index.php

main page look at the table. as of this year 1989 and newer must be tested.
20 year rule.

Arash
02-24-2008, 11:23 AM

20 year rule.

I'm mainly concerned about the importing process. you know the inspections you're supposed to get in Canadian Tire? and safety stuff.

I'm looking into importing a rather heavily modified 92 325is into Canada. Wondering if the modifications are going to cause problems.

propr'one
02-24-2008, 03:23 PM
no, if the car is 15 years old, it doesn't need any import shit. Just safety and e-test. (you still have to bring everything to the border, etc, and pay taxes, but no RIV fee, no letter of compliance, no CT inspection)

thumper
02-24-2008, 04:38 PM

20 year rule.

Year 1988 is there as well, take a look again. *th-up*

cars are tested every two years. that means 1988 will have to be tested again in 2009.

thumper
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
no, if the car is 15 years old, it doesn't need any import shit. Just safety and e-test. (you still have to bring everything to the border, etc, and pay taxes, but no RIV fee, no letter of compliance, no CT inspection)

This is good to know, I was unsure about what was needed to bring in a 15 year old car into canada.
Thanks

Arash
02-25-2008, 05:09 PM

you positive? so no $500 recall letter either.

Shock(/\)ave
02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
How do u mean? U got ur test done and by the time u got to the ministry they didnt have it on file?

If thats what u mean then it sometimes takes a while for it all to process over the dial up modem.

I mean their database doesn't contain a 1994 M3. At all. :mad:

Acidblast
02-28-2008, 08:51 PM
i went to get my '86 325es e-tested last year and it failed miserably since it has been in hibernation for over 2 years.... but then i remembered that once your car is 20 years old you don't need an e-test. i said screw this went to the ministry and got my plates renewed. idiot said i needed a new catalytic converter. i said i'll give you the $20 for the e-test and i'll be on my way :)

propr'one
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
you positive? so no $500 recall letter either.

positive.