PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried DR.Vanos to fix their vanos noisy problem?

Bimmer4ever
02-22-2008, 03:37 AM
The very famous E36 vanos "rock in the tin-can" noise ..I just checked www.drvanos.com are they reliable?

dtthiaga
02-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I'd also be interested in finding out. I think my Vanos will probably need some serious attention in a year or so. Shame you on you BMW for not solving this problem. This issue has been occurring since the E36 and has yet to be solved; poorly engineered!

This is why I think Honda, the original company who implemented a variable type technology in a production application, produces the better system. VTEC has never failed inside a warranty period. It's simply robust!!

I love both larger displacement VTEC and i-VTEC engines!

chromius
02-22-2008, 08:57 AM
The very famous E36 vanos "rock in the tin-can" noise ..I just checked www.drvanos.com are they reliable?

Some of the e39 guys over at BF.C have had success with drvanos. So it's probably alright.

Blades
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
sounds pretty impresive.

ScotcH
02-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Yes, Chris is legit, and his product is top notch. Makes no sense to buy from anywhere else if you need a new vanos.

Mystikal
02-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Bought a Stage 1 in December, Bimmersport installed it in January. Huge power difference, silent operation, much better fuel economy. '95 M3 btw.

Jay

Bimmer4ever
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
oyeah baby, I'll buy it. Buy the way How much did you pay for the shipping cost, Mystikal? and a .. any did you pay any duties?

Mystikal
02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I cheated, a friend of mine who lives in FL recieved the shipment and brought it up for me.

Jay

Soldo
02-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Does this help even if my vanos is fully functioning (at least i think it is!)?

Bimmer4ever
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
well. there are different kt for vanos. dr.vanos has stage1 and stage2 and special ones for racing cam users. If your vanos is making noise that sounds like "rock in the coke can" and your car can't go as strong as it used to do ..then you might need a new one.

Mystikal
02-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Does this help even if my vanos is fully functioning (at least i think it is!)?

Most people don't even know they're driving around with broken Vanos units. The biggest tell-tale is the noise, but that usually happens when it's been affecting performance for a LONG time. I'd say the easiest giveaway would be power delivery, if you feel any sort of surge in the powerband (think VTEC) then it's not operating properly.

Jay

Soldo
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Thats what i figured, but i always read about the problem, and the rock in a coke can doesn't help me figure out if my car is making the noise. The only noise i'm more than familiar with is the noisy valves on the 6cyl motors.

ara325
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, i got rear-ended last weekend and may have to buy another car...if the insurance writes it off. I'd be looking at e36 & e46. What years have the VANOS issues and what should i be looking for when shopping?

Oh yeah, i will be looking at M3's, 330's, & 328's.

Mystikal
02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey guys, i got rear-ended last weekend and may have to buy another car...if the insurance writes it off. I'd be looking at e36 & e46. What years have the VANOS issues and what should i be looking for when shopping?

Oh yeah, i will be looking at M3's, 330's, & 328's.

All of them. Feel better?

But no really, the single-Vanos cars (anything before '01) are cheaper to fix. The parts/labour total is well under a thousand, I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Jay

propr'one
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
s50's are pretty notorious for vanos problems. The 2.8L and 3.2L blocks are better, but, still vulnerable to it.

You can also unplug the vanos solenoid, see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, your vanos = broke.

Dr. Flyview
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
When I bought the new e36 in September I knew right away the vanos was broken. I knew because it was making a noise even just idling (kinda sounded like a diesel). Also felt SOME lack of power but I don't know if I'd notice for sure if it went again...

When the car is cold I get "rocks in a can" noise when driving and holding the car at a constant rpm (so no real load on the engine) even though I believe the replaced vanos is still working...